• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,578 Thanks
  • 29,825 posts

Posted May 30, 2014 - 09:58 AM

Usually it is clipped near one of the ends of the coil.  Go to this page for lots of pics of various types of sensors.

#2132 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted May 30, 2014 - 10:39 AM

Daniel the reason I can't see it is that it is covered in ice. That is why I need to defrost it first.

• olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#2133 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted May 30, 2014 - 01:47 PM

Use a hair dryer.

#2134 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted May 30, 2014 - 02:01 PM

Much easier and perhaps cheaper to prop the door open and get a window fan or similar and just blow air into the freezer compartment and walk away to do something else.  Come back 45 minutes later and it will be thawed, probably about the same time you will spend with a hair dryer, but more productive.

• KennyP said thank you

#2135 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,578 Thanks
  • 29,825 posts

Posted May 30, 2014 - 02:57 PM

Just spread some plastic & hook a hose to the hot water heater!  :rolling:   While that sounds ludicrous, that's how I do the mini-fridge at the parlor, but then I have drains in the floors there.  And I use warm, not hot water.

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#2136 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted May 30, 2014 - 03:09 PM

My suggestion....... :poke:  :bigrofl:

448px-White_lighter_with_flame.JPG

Edited by TAHOE, May 30, 2014 - 03:10 PM.

• Craig. said thank you

#2137 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,243 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted May 30, 2014 - 05:06 PM

Willie, when you fire it back up after you defrost it again, check the frost pattern.
Fire it up, wait about an hour and you should be able to open the door and see most of the evap unit in the freezer covered in white frost.
If not, you may have a unit that is low or leaking or a bad compressor.

The #1 reason a unit frosts up that fast is a bad door seal or the door left open. Most defrost timers activate every so many hours, some work on a circuit board. Timers will often be 18 hour units, the boards may go as long as two days before defrost. either way, overnight is a warning to me that there is moisture either in the unit or getting in via the seal not working somewhere.
As for the boards, The GE boards are known issues. Many times there is a single bad solder on the back, sometimes they are just doorstops, hard to tell without a new heater and sensor in place. At least test the sensor like Bill and Dan said.

Good luck.
  • olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#2138 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted May 30, 2014 - 06:00 PM

Another hot and sweaty day...

This morning my alarm was set to go off at 745. So naturally my phone rang at 7. Dammit.

Then...

coffee-first-ball-later.jpg

While I was making coffee I took the frozen solid jug of milk out of the freezer and stuck it under the hot water from the faucet and went to get dressed. When I got back I had about a half a glass of thawed milk to drink, but it was cold!

Then I grabbed my thermos and set off to the Newton courthouse for my expired tag ticket, because that is where the Trooper told me to go when he issued it. I needed a continuance because getting Jared here took up my tag money.

I went inside and waited and I was a bit confused because it was not running like any traffic court I have ever been in. However, the cute clerk of court was there so I wasn't complaining. The DA was calling people one at a time and having them answer if they were present. Every traffic court I have ever been to in NC they take you in the order you come in.

After she got through all the names the bailiff stood up and said if your name wasn't called you need to go down stairs and find out what court room you need to be in. I was not only in the wrong court room, but in the wrong court house in the wrong city. Fortunately it was only a 10 minute drive to the right one in Hickory.

So I sat in that courtroom for a bit and the DA told me to get the tags on the truck fixed and he would dismiss it. At noon I was home.

I sat down for a while and tried to recover from the hard wooden benches at the courthouses.

When I got home I had Steph unload the freezer and let it defrost. Once it was less icy the sensors are good and appear to have been replaced once before. That explains all the mismatched screws.

After Heath went down for his nap at 130 Steph and I went outside and got to working on Grady's Exploder.

I couldn't get it to even turn over, but I did succeed in setting the aftermarket alarm off a dozen times. So the alarm came out. Then it would turn over, but not start. So we tinkered and poked and Steph brought out her laptop so we could see which fuse and relay did what.

I found this handy chart to use for reference.

fuse.jpg

After some quality time poking around with a the meter and not finding much we replaced a couple of relays that were fuel related and it still wouldn't start.

I called my buddy, Tim, to borrow his fuel pressure gauge and went down to get it. While I was there Steph called and said she got it to start. There was a second diagram that had a fuel injector relay on ti so she changed it out and it ran. But it smoked.

So I went home and started it. Smoked was a gross understatement. It is pumping water out the tailpipe.

Now I get to try to do an compression test which will not be easy because my big old bear paws won't fit anywhere near the spark plugs.

It started to rain so we came in.

Heath woke up and is now running around the house like a cyclone.

Monday I have to go get Jared so he can finish up his school work. His teachers have been emailing me left and right. I figure one or two days and he will be done with it.

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#2139 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 08:40 PM

It's the weekend – what is a day off again?

This morning I slept in a long time. I was a bit tired.

This-cup-of-coffee.jpg

After melting a down some milk for breakfast I went to the office.

Then I watched a movie and played around online for a while. Steph went to the store after she put Heath down for a nap and I continued to do nothing for a while.

Then my phone started ringing. I had forgotten that I told guy I would be in Hickory today to get a tractor. I told them as soon as the pickup came home I would head out.

Once Steph got home we went out to do a couple of things – like put the tool box and side rails on Christine that have been in my way for a while.

IMG_20140531_163957_115.jpg

Once that was done I headed off to Hickory.

The road was full of old roadsters. I am guessing that there was a car show somewhere.

At the house I found a Yard Machine that was almost as described. It had been rolled into a creek and was in sad shape. The guy told me the engine ran. However, I found that it was frozen.

I think they thought I was blowing smoke. One of them made a phone call while I looked at the other stuff they were getting rid of. In about 5 minutes another guy showed up and was going to show me up and start it up. It didn't happen.

We negotiated a much lower price of $20 and I told them I would take it.

Then they told me that everything in the garage had to go. The old guy that lived there worked on mowers so I got a lot of good stuff. There was a bag full of the plastic wheel bearing that are hard to find for MTD mowers at a good price. I also got lots of miscellaneous gaskets and belts, pump sprayer. an old GE radio (that is now in my office). Some old speakers, three great big grinder wheels, some reams, a single cylinder Briggs with a broken rod, an Advance Auto shopping cart ( I have never seen one before) ,a metal shelf, many buckets of stuff that I don't have a clue what all is in them, a small vice, and a wooden hutch that will soon me modified to house rabbits.

When I left the truck and the trailer were stuffed full. I gave them $60 and left.

My next shop was the cigar shop. On the way there I noticed that the door to the hutch was flapping. I got a rubber band from the cigar shop to hold it shut.

An uneventful drive home and $16 in gas and I pulled into the yard.

IMG_20140531_192137_741.jpg

Steph and I unloaded the truck because it looked like it was going to rain. She was impressed with the haul. Heath ran around like a wild Indian while we unloaded.

Then I took the stuff out of the E-tank and took the wire wheel to it. I am going to need a new wire wheel.

I now have a pile of parts to go to the painter. A few more to clean and I will drop them off with him.

IMG_20140531_205003_737.jpg IMG_20140531_204951_209.jpg

Then we all came in dogs and all. While I ate supper Diesel and Carmel were sitting behind me hoping I would drop something. They got to share the fat and bone off my pork chop.

While Diesel was distracted Steph clipped his one dew claw that grows back into itself. It made him so upset he puked in the floor. Great dinner time entertainment.

Heath just came in the office with a box of toy food and gave me a good night kiss. I reckon he has no intentions of going to sleep right away.

Edited to ad pictures

Edited by UncleWillie, May 31, 2014 - 08:45 PM.

• olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#2140 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 05:59 PM

Great day...

I got to sleep in again.

coffee-beans-cup-wallpaper.jpg

Graham came by to borrow the C3 mow his yard. I showed him how the controls worked. Then I did nothing till Heath went down for his nap. After that I had Steph help me get the stuff out of the Etank and then I cleaned it up. Wire brushed, and oiled. Getting closer to paint.

Then we tinkered with the YardMachine I got yesterday. We were looking for a socket that was big enough to fit the nut on the flywheel. Steph carried a handful out and found one that fit. Then she managed to turn the flywheel.

I got there and turned it and it went around pretty easy. The second time I turned it I heard the blades scraping on the trailer. IT turns out that the engine was not frozen. It has 3 flat tires and was sitting on the deck. The blades were engaged and were hitting things it was sitting on. I never once thought to check the deck.

We still couldn't get it to start.

SO then we came in and I sat down for a bit. Next thing I knew Steph was telling me ti was 430. I was supposed to get Jared at 5. I jumped thru the shower, into my clothes, and into Christine.

After snagging Jared we headed back and I passed a gaggle of kids on the road. As we passed Jared said it was his sisters. I knew they were in NC but I thought they were gone somewhere with their mother. I slammed on the brakes and backed up. It is the first time I have seen my 2 girls since 2007. After some hugs and finding out they would be coming to my house in a week or so Jared and I headed home. He said him mo m flew in with them then go on a plane and flew right back to AZ. The girls had been at a motel with their aunt and were walking into the big town of Boiling Springs to get ice cream.

We got back home and I gave starting the Yard Machine another shot. Nothing.

Tomorrow Jared gets to spend the day doing all the homework he has to complete to finish his school year.

• olcowhand, TheFarm2004, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#2141 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,578 Thanks
  • 29,825 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 06:19 PM

That is awesome you got to see your daughters after 7 years!!   :dancingbanana:   That had to feel sooooo good!

• Craig. said thank you

#2142 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,388 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 06:23 PM

Glad you got to see the girls! Almost sounds like Mom abandoned them!

#2143 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 06:36 PM

Mom had to go back to work.

#2144 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted June 02, 2014 - 07:52 PM

Not a good day. This morning Steph got up at 8 to get ready for class. I woke up and started getting sick. By the time she was ready to leave I told her she had to stay. I was only getting worse. I spent most of the day between the bed and toilet. At 3 I told her that we needed to go to the er. I could barely stand. After tests and a cat scan it was determined I have colitis. I got sent home with a pike of perscriptions to get filled. Hopefully tomorrow is better.
  • Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#2145 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,694 Thanks
  • 8,888 posts

Posted June 02, 2014 - 09:41 PM

Well, isn't that just a pain in the .........silly me, of course it is. The doc must not said to lay off the coffee, you're at home instead of a jail cell.

images.jpg

• Craig. said thank you