UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,698 posts

Posted May 28, 2014 - 09:00 PM

My head feels much better now thanks for asking...

Last night I didn't so much go to sleep as slip into a coma.

This morning...

limit-one-cup.jpg

It was about 1100 when we all headed outside.

I got a call from the guy who bought the engine from me last week. He needed a fuel tank. I happened to have the exact one he needed. He gave me $10 and was happy. I even pressure washed it for him.

There were a few more things to get done before we went to the scrap yard – gas had to be drained out of the S10, windshield had to be harvested, and lots of misc non-ferrous metal and electric motors had to be put in the bed of Christine.

We were doing good until I cracked the windshield while trying to get it out. Oh well better luck next time.

The gas was clear but he has been getting some bad gas somewhere. This is my drain pan after we emptied the tank..

IMG_20140528_134720_453.jpg

It was about 130 when we got all loaded up. We headed out with Steph in the lead. Before I could get out of the driveway she was turning around in a neighbors drive. She forgot her phone. I forgot my wallet so I had her get that too.

Heath and I waited in the shade on the side of the road while she went back.

IMG_20140528_142634_041.jpg

On the way down the road I had a laugh. Heath opened the fuel doors on both S10s. He had opened the one of the BlueOx, but I saw it before we left and closed it.

IMG_20140528_142620_208.jpg

At the crusher we got the pickup unloaded.

In the non ferrous building Heath decided he wanted to ride with Steph. No big deal since we were going to the restaurant next door. I left them to get the check and I went on ahead and ordered for us.

We were all three more thirsty than hungry. It was near 90 today. Steph and I were gulping down water and Heath drank a whole glass of OJ. He was so sleep though. It was 3 hours past his nap time.

Steph headed down to Gastonia to do some shopping and Heath and I headed home. I managed to keep him awake all the way there. He was asleep with 15 minutes of walking in the door.

I had to get some more stuff straightened out for Jared's school in Utah. I am glad they are working with him but the back and forth emails get old.

Steph came home and cooked pork chops and rice for dinner.

About 900 the guy I got the broken S10 from came by to get his money. It is kind of funny that he used to live in this house. He said it was very strange to walk inside again.

Tomorrow I don't have much going on – YET.

• olcowhand, KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#2118 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,443 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted May 29, 2014 - 06:09 AM

Heath sure is growing! Looking ornery too!

• UncleWillie said thank you

#2119 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,698 posts

Posted May 29, 2014 - 09:26 AM

Heath sure is growing! Looking ornery too!

He was sweaty from running around the yard. Not so much onery as mischevious.

• TheFarm2004 and KennyP have said thanks

#2120 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted May 29, 2014 - 09:56 AM

Heath sure is growing!

That's what I was thinking.  It seems like not long ago you were showing us pictures of a baby.

• KennyP said thank you

#2121 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,698 posts

Posted May 29, 2014 - 05:34 PM

Welllll now.

This morning, at some ungoldy early hour, Jared's grandmother called and woke me up. She was asking if Jared had brought 2 bags or only one from Utah. It took me a minute to get my head clear enough to figure out what she was talking about. HE only brought one.

I tried to go back to sleep, but it wasn't happening.

Then at some time a little later I heard a car pull up in the yard. I looked out the window and there was a white Chevy Monte Carlo in the yard with no one in it. I grabbed a pair of shorts because my birthday suit and my pajamas were made by the same tailor. Then the back door opened. I grabbed for the shotgun then saw Jared's head come through the door. I knew it was him because the head was up on the ceiling. As punishment he had to see me in my “jammies”. I told him from now on to call me before he barged in.

He and his buddy had driven down to get the box of stuff he had shipped from Utah. Then they left. He needed more clothes. Since his cousins will be at his grandmothers for a couple of days he is staying up there for a while.

Then I needed a lot of …

pot-of-coffee.jpg

Unfortunately Heath was awake too so I had to get him up and changed first. He was like wrestling a greased octopus. Being half awake didn't help much.

Then...

urgent.jpg

for breakfast I made Heath a bowl of Cheerio's and rancid milk. The new fridge wasn't cooling. So I made him some eggs.

I took everything out of the fridge that could go bad and put it in the freezer. Fortunately the bottom of the fridge was still cold. Just the upper shelf was warm.

Then I got online and researched the fridge issue. I found a could of possibilities and checked them out while Heath tried to help me. I was about ready to duct tape him to a wall.

There was no air circulating from freezer to fridge but I couldn't tell from the diagrams where the fan was. The coils were dirty so I went out and got my air tank and filled it up and got the blower and blew off what I could. The way it is made I still couldn't get to all of it.

I looked at the circuit board on the back and it looked fine, no obvious burnt circuits. SO I unplugged it and let it completely defrost. After 2 hours I plugged it back on. I checked the temp a hour later and ti was warmer that it was before. I was puzzled till I saw that I had turned it off while it was defrosting. Duuuh.

It cooled down to 60 and held steady. I decided to wait for an extra pair of hands.

Mercifully, Heath went down for a nap early.

I went out back and got a few things done.

I think my seal came in. I opened the box, but left it out on the workbench.

The parts that were in the Etank got cleaned up and then it started to rain so I came in.

Then it stopped raining.

Steph go home and we used the hand trucks to tilt the fridge back. The bottom of the coils were filthy. They got blown out.

While while Steph was putting the covers back on the fridge she stuck her head against the circuit board and got shocked.

With it all back together it was 62 inside. An hour later it is 38. I don't know what we did that fixed it. Maybe it was Steph's electrifying experience that did it.

Now it is, pouring and I mean pouring, rain. I can't see anything out my window.

• KennyP said thank you

#2122 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted May 29, 2014 - 05:54 PM

It was needing defrost.  The air has to circulate through the cooling unit in the freezer to get cold air to the fridge part.  When it ices up the air won't get down there.  Dirty coils donated to the problem, but your defrost timer may be bad, or the heaters that do the defrosting may be burned up.  The circulation fan will be behind the panel in the rear of the freezer section.  A while back lightning blew out my fan and I got the same results....warm food.  My fan was over $100, but I found the part #, got on ebay & found an aftermarket for like $25 or so to my door!

#2123 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,698 posts

Posted May 29, 2014 - 06:01 PM

Daniel after I defrosted it it still didn't get cold afterwards. If it does it again I will get a new defrost timer. Who knows it may never happen again ( yeah right).

#2124 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted May 29, 2014 - 06:08 PM

Can you hear the fan running in the freezer?  Could be there was ice buildup against the fan that took a while to melt?  Without a running fan, no matter how cold the freezer section gets, the fridge part will not get cold.

#2125 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,698 posts

Posted May 29, 2014 - 06:18 PM

There was no air flowing through the air damper I didn't think to check it again, but Steph said it is blowing now. Someone has had it apart before because it had a collection of odd screws in it. Maybe something was stuck in the fan. I know it was running when I took the cover off it.

• olcowhand said thank you

#2126 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted May 29, 2014 - 06:37 PM

Daniel is right.  What happens is the refrigerator doesn't go into the defrost mode and ice build up on the coils which eventually will block air flow to the refrigerator part from the freezer.  3 things will cause this, one the defrost timer, two there is a quarter size circular disc on the coils which will turn the defrost cycle on or off and the heating element it's self.  My bet is the sensor or defrost timer.  Sensor is the cheapest to replace.  For years I would pick up used refrigerators and fix them and then sell them.

• olcowhand said thank you

#2127 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,698 posts

Posted May 29, 2014 - 08:08 PM

Well it froze up again so I pulled out the defrost element and it fell apart in my hands. For now everything is stuck in teh freezer. Going to make my morning glass of milk realllllllly cold. New part en route for $7 shipping and all.

#2128 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted May 29, 2014 - 08:19 PM

While your in there take an ohm meter and read out that sensor as well.  At room temp it should read open and in ice it should read closed.

#2129 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,698 posts

Posted May 29, 2014 - 09:07 PM

I cant find the sensor. I know it is in there somewhere, but I don't see it. I will look again tomorrow when I defrost it again. I didn't put any screws back in it because i was just going to have to take them out again.

#2130 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted May 30, 2014 - 08:48 AM

Willie,  it is usually round about the size of a quarter and sliver.  It will be clipped to the coils somewhere and will also have 2 wires coming out of it.