Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 06:40 PM

... Why would you want the bearing outside the seal?

Because they just designed a $129 bearing puller and needed to make a few sales. :bigrofl:

#2012 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 06:43 PM

I've not had an Eaton charge pump off, but I think if you took the charge pump off, then you could drive the bearing & seal out easy.  I would think someone could confirm this......anyone?

Even if there is backer material behind the seal, there will be a 3/4" hole to where you could use a small punch to drive out the bearing from the back side.

• Craig. said thank you

#2013 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 06:49 PM

I haven't had the opportunity to do this as yet, so fresh out of ideas. Why would you want the bearing outside the seal? That has to be genius working there!

Maybe I can get it figured out so you can just blink and it falls out for you.

#2014 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 06:51 PM

I've not had an Eaton charge pump off, but I think if you took the charge pump off, then you could drive the bearing & seal out easy.  I would think someone could confirm this......anyone?

Even if there is backer material behind the seal, there will be a 3/4" hole to where you could use a small punch to drive out the bearing from the back side.

I tried that route but could not get the pump off. I can't figure out what would be holding it. According to the diagrams there are the 5 bolts and then it should about fall on the ground unless I have missed something.

#2015 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 07:15 PM

Fresh from the Crayola Kindergarten Failures school of design.

puller.JPG

• MH81 said thank you

#2016 jacobd OFFLINE  

jacobd
  • Member No: 17550
  • 49 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 10:12 PM

I'm thinking Daniel has the right idea here. You'll probably need to pull the charge pump to drive the bearing and seal out the front. http://www.eaton.com...nt/pll_1617.pdf If you haven't already take a look at page 13 of this manual it explains how to remove the charge pump from an Eaton 11. That is a strange design with the bearing outside of the seal but it appears to be correct. If you need a press or a small two jaw puller let me know I have both.

EDIT: I took a closer look at the manual and it looks to me like you have to pull the charge pump off to get the input shaft out of the way and then use a blind hole bearing puller to yank the bearing and seal out. What a PITA. Maybe you'll get lucky and be able to press or drive it out from the other side though. The manual is pretty vague. Just says remove it.

Edited by jacobd, May 06, 2014 - 10:40 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#2017 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 07:56 AM

Fresh from the Crayola Kindergarten Failures school of design.

attachicon.gifpuller.JPG

That tool looks like a transmission  tool to remove clutch packs from the drum.

Good luck figuring out how to remove your seal.

#2018 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 10:49 AM

That tool looks like a transmission  tool to remove clutch packs from the drum.

Good luck figuring out how to remove your seal.

Crayola makes transmission tools? Cool

• KennyP said thank you

#2019 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 06:52 PM

Ever try to do a job that makes you feel like throwing all your tools in the trash?

After a fitful night I got to sleep in a bit since Steph was home. Then...

need-coffee.jpg

I downloaded and printed out the manual on the Eaton 11 that JacobD posted a link for then read it thoroughly. I knew I needed a 2 jaw puller so at around 12 we ventured out to find one.

First stop Home and Tool world where I left with 5 gallons of Purple Power, a scrub brush , a leather punch, a box of fudge rounds, and a pair of sunglasses for Heath,but no puller.

Then we all headed over to TSC where we left with a set of nozzles for the pressure washer. The only puller they had was for removing the props off of aircraft carriers.

Then we went to Oriellys where they had a large assortment of 3 jaw pullers.

Then to the Sears outlet. I found that they were going out of business so I got some small picks, air filters for all three running tractors, and Steph looked at every appliance they had. No pullers.

Then to Advance. They had one medium set of 2/3 jaw pullers so I got them.

Then we headed over to the BBQ place and had lunch.

A man in a powered wheelchair came in and Heath was mesmerized by it. We had a good talk and ate some good BBQ then headed home.

It was only 3 hours past Heaths bedtime, but he was a trooper and behaved like an angel the whole time. He went down for a nap and Steph and I went out to the FF.

The book said to grind the end of the puller down to fit in the slots on the pump. SO I did. Then we commenced to pulling. It moved about ½ inch, Just far enough for all the rollers that the book says to not let fall out fall on the ground and would go no farther. I broke the ground off end of the puller.

After turning the jaws around I got a bite on the back of the pump and pulled again. I bent the center of the puller. But it would go no farther.

I have a feeling that the whole hydro is going to have to come off. I am not looking forward to that.

At 530 Steph went in and got Heath up and turned him loose on the world.

I put the bolts back in the pump and saw that the bearing did move the ½ inch and would go no farther. ON the diagram there is another snap ring behind the bearing. Stupid design I know. But I cannot get to it.

So we packed the parts in a huge Ziploc bag and used the hemorrhoid to push the Buzzard back in the KFCTS. While we were pulling it across the yard we found out that it has no brakes without the Hydro.

While we were doing that I Heath had ran down in the field. I noticed he was standing perfectly still so I ran down the hill on the Hemorrhoid and found that he was standing in a bunch of briars and couldn’t move. I scooped him up and away we went.

We finally muscled the FF into the shed and then Steph picked up all the tools while I sat and rested my spine.

Once I could stand again we aired up the flat tires on the little Murray I bought Monday and then got it off the trailer.

Once the BlueOx was reattached to the trailer load of scrap we were done.

I have no idea how I am going to get the bearing off the shaft. I soaked it in PB Blaster before we tucked it in the shed. Maybe the tractor fairies will come and fix it.

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#2020 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 07:59 PM

Wish I could help with the pump Willie, but that would be quite a drive.  May be a burr on the shaft.  

#2021 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 08:48 PM

Did you polish the shaft before you tried to pull the bearing I too would bet the shaft has a burr on it. Sorry I can't help much more then that Willie.

#2022 jacobd OFFLINE  

jacobd
  • Member No: 17550
  • 49 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 08:52 PM

Hard to tell without seeing it in person but as best I can tell there should just be two snap rings you can access from the outside. One on the drive shaft and a bigger one inside the charge pump housing retaining the bearing. Should be able to just remove the smaller one on the drive shaft and pull the assembly off no? Then remove the larger internal one and pull the bearing and seal out the front? 

I kinda want to come see it now.

#2023 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,562 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 10:16 PM

Should have gone to HF, They have 2 jaw pullers.  I have 3 of them hanging on my wall.  Jacob, I bet it will come apart if you went down and helped him. Something about a second person working with you on a problem like this and things just fall into place. 

#2024 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,456 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 04:51 AM

Sorry to hear of the issues, Willie. I've no ideas on what is going on with it.

#2025 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 04:56 PM

This morning I woke up at 9am in a bit of a shock because Heath had not woke me up yet. I tiptoed into his room and he was just starting to wake up a tiny bit. Before I got him up I got a message from a friend to call him. So Heath got up.

AlienCoffee.gif

Then I called Jesse. He is a neighbor who lives about ½ mile up the road. He had a stove and refrigerator for me.

The BlueOx was still hooked to the trailer of scrap so I hooked the Hemorrhoid up to the little trailer and Heath and I went for a ride. He thought it was awesome.

After we got loaded up we headed back home. I got some weird looks from the new neighbors that I haven’t met yet.

Back home we took it easy and played for a while. Did 2 loads of laundry, And watched a little TV. About 1230 I was getting droopy but Heath was showing no signs of slowing down. I laid on the big bed in his room and he played. Just as I almost drifted off he hit me in the head with a truck.

So we had peanut butter sandwiches and milk. The internet was down because AT&T was working on the lines. So I edited a video. I will get it posted at some time. Then at 2 I put him in bed and wandered outside.

The pieces in the E- tank came out and fresh ones went in.

I wanted to do something but I didn't have parts for the Craftsman. So I went to the Buzzard. The bearing was frozen on the shaft it would not go in or out. There was not enough room to swing a hammer to drive it back and I didn't have enough hands to do anything else. SO I sat and thought.

I had an ideal. I needed to be able to put the socket that fit over the shaft in the air hammer. SO I got an old lug wrench and hooked up the bench grinder and went to work. I created this masterpiece.

IMG_20140508_171459_870.jpg

Steph came home before I got finished making it and could not wrap her head around what I was doing. When I was done and did a bit of fine tuning to it I put it to use. It worked. The bearing freed up enough for me to use a big bar as a lever to push the bearing back up on the shaft.

Then we polished the shaft again. It got polished till I could see myself in it then oiled with PB Blaster ( along with a wasp nest that was forming). Since Stephs hands are smaller than mine I left her to polish right up next to the bearing while I went and modified the other arm for the puller to fit the notches in the pump.

It came right off.

IMG_20140508_171447_518.jpg

There was trash behind the bearing that I am assuming was the offending gunk. I can only guess that pulling the bearing forward than taking it back got the piece out of it.

If anyone want a patented Uncle Willies Super Dooper Pneumatic Hammer Socket Adapter they will be fore sale in the lobby after the post. Only $127. Be sure to show your GTT membership card for a 1% discount.

Once the pump was off I realized that I had the wrong seal. I will go down to the bearing shop tomorrow and get a new bearing and see if they have a seal.

Steph inspected the stove and fridge and declared that she wanted them. So tomorrow morning we will switch them over and I will put ours out in the shed till someone buys them. At this rate I will upgrade all her appliances soon, only the dishwasher and microwave left.

Thumbs are hurting. More Tylenol on the way in. Hopefully dinner won't be too long.

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks