UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted May 01, 2014 - 01:52 PM

I ran them one time, swore to never buy another set. I hated them. Maybe it was the vehicle they were on, but I didn't like them at all.

I've had good luck with the Toyo open country AT's, there new tread design looks killer for a mild AT.

I haven't run the Toyo's. I have had Michelin, General, Cooper, Goodyear, Nitto, Dick Cepek, and a couple of others.

The Generals would not stop on dry pavement forget wet - never a good thing when youroutinely weigh 10,000 pounds.

The Goodyear Wranglers were possibly the worst tire ever made - terrible in wet, dry, paved,dirt and anyother surface you could imagine.

Michelin's wore great but had traction problems especially on ice.

Coopers work like iron, but got stuck on wet grass.

Nittos wears like paper.

Dick Cepeks would not take the weight I put on them

The BFG lasts longer and does a lot better with the weight I carry. The do drycrack in about 30 minutes after exposure to sunlight, but it has never cause me any problems as I run them for several years with no problems.

• Craig. said thank you

#1997 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted May 01, 2014 - 09:18 PM

Another beautiful day...

This morning Heath let me sleep till about 930 then....

dect.jpeg

We spent some quality time doing nothing then at around 1130 we headed out and pointed the BlueOx to Gastonia.

I was surprised to find that the grill weighed more than 1000 pounds when I went over the scale.

After I had my money we headed home.

It was almost 1pm so Heath went down for a nap and I went outside to get some work done. I had to repair the sideboard we broke yesterday so I got on that. Then I got all the unnecessary stuff off the trailer and got things ready to go for the snagging Grahams load of scrap when he got off work.

At 330 Steph came home and we hooked the little trailer up to Christine and loaded the C3 ( really needs a name) and the mobile crane up on it and waited. At around 400 Graham got home.

He drove Christine and I followed along in the Ox.

We got to his step-fathers house and I found that there was a bunch of little things that needed to be loaded and not so many big things. We didn't need the tractor at all.

After about an hour and a half we had Christine and the big trailer on the Ox full of junk and headed home.

I kept telling him over the 2 way radios to give himself miles of room to stop, I guestimate there to be about 1000 pounds on Christine plus the tractor. He did good till the last stop sign and then he nearly collected a Honda.

Once we got home Steph had dinner ready for Graham's finaces, Jenni, birthday dinner.

Steph had to go tot he store so I tossed Heath in the tub. He had a ball. Now I am ready for bed. I am tired.

• olcowhand and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#1998 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted May 02, 2014 - 07:52 AM

I've never liked Goodyears, BFG, Michelin and the worst has got to be the Bridgestone Duelers. My Tahoe, my dad's truck, and my buddy's truck all had them when we all bought our trucks. We all hated them with a passion, horrible tires.

We just got the new Cooper AT-3's on the wife's Jeep, other than the fronts already wearing badly due to an improper alignment they have been okay.

#1999 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted May 02, 2014 - 06:32 PM

Another perfect day...

This morning Heath work us up when he was good and ready and …

too-strong-coffee-people-too-weak.png

Then we all headed outside.

The load of scrap I got from Grahams step-father had to be sorted through. We found all kinds of stuff in it. Lots of end mills, reams, and cutters. By the time we were done I had a nice pile of nuts and bolts and tools, along with a drum of misc. aluminum. I am keeping this rack and the steel table.

IMG_20140502_171651_549.jpg

Once that was done it was time to put Heath down for a nap. My back we hurting so I came in and sat while Steph made a quick runt o do some errands. When she got back we got started mowing. With both the Hemorrhoid and C3 it didn't take long to get the front mowed then we started picking up all the stuff in the back yard to mow it. Once everything was done with the tractors I grabbed the push mower and mowed around the other stuff and in the dog pen.

Here is the lineup of everthing that started today. The FF has no battery, but it is in the KFCTS anyway.

IMG_20140502_171613_750.jpg

By then Heath was awake and I set up his little pool while Steph went in and got him up. He wasn’t all that enthused about the pool, I guess the water was a bit cold.

While I was sitting in a chair watching Heath I checked my phone and had a text from JacobD, he wanted to go see if my friend, Reid, could make him a part. The text was about 2 hours old. It is hard to feel the phone vibrate when I am bouncing around the yard.

As I was texting him that Reid's mom said he was out in the garden Jacob pulled in the driveway.

Since we were going by Reid's anyhow we quickly went through the tote of good stuff and got all the cutters and mills out and took them over.

Reid said it would be better for him to buy a new part than to have one made. He did like the bucket of goodies though.

After Jacob brought me home I was done. My back is killing me.

Tacos for dinner.

Should be in bed early.

Edited by UncleWillie, May 02, 2014 - 06:36 PM.

• olcowhand, KennyP and Jack have said thanks

#2000 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 02, 2014 - 07:14 PM

I might be interested in those end mills.  Got some pics & sizes?  Give me a PM if you wanna sell em.

#2001 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted May 02, 2014 - 07:42 PM

Sorry Daniel I gave them to Reid. He does all my machine work.

#2002 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 02, 2014 - 08:39 PM

Sorry Daniel I gave them to Reid. He does all my machine work.

No problem Willie, that's the logical thing to do!   :thumbs:

#2003 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 07:08 PM

A beautiful Saturday nearly gone.

After being in so much pain I haven't gotten much sleep for a while I took a drive to get a bottle of sleep medicine last night. I got 9 hours of shut eye. At 1130 I came out of my coma...

Coffee.II_.jpg

Then I spent a lot of quality time re-posting all my ads on CL. They had been renewed so many times I had to go through ad re post all of them.

At 2pm Steph put Heath down for his nap and then she left for the dump and to do some shopping.

About 3 I wandered out into the sunshine.

Grady has been wanting me to get him tractor to paint so I got to work on it. I stacked up some pallets and put a sheet of plywood on top of them.

By the time I got that far Steph came home and she pulled Christine around back and helped me get the round work table up on her. Once the table was at the work area and the ramps were set up the DragonFly got driven up on the pallets.

IMG_20140503_170648_179.jpg

Then the deconstruction started.

Heath woke up from his nap and came out to help.

IMG_20140503_182727_450.jpg

With my sore thumbs it took much longer than I wanted it too. At 730 I was done. I dont' think we did all that bad for only 2 ½ hours of work.

IMG_20140503_191910_493.jpg

After tearing it down this far I know I am going to have to buy a lot of bolts to replace the ones that are beyond hope.

While we were working I got a call from a guy who has a Craftsman GT he wants to sell. He sent me some pics and it looks pretty good.

IMG_0087.jpg

I called him about it and told him I was too sore and tired to come tonight. Since he lives close he is bringing it up tonight.

Steph left to get some cash from the ATM. Shortly after she left LittleBoy attacked Heath and got kicked outside. Heath got a couple of chocolate chips and made a miraculous recovery. `

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#2004 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 04:27 PM

Another great day – mostly.

I went to bed at 1am. I woke up at 3am with heartburn that I thought I was going to have to call the fire department for. Took some pepto and eventually went back to sleep. Woke up at 7 afraid that I was going to set the bed on fire if I burped. Drank a glass of milk and laid back down. Finally got up for good at 9 very tired and with a slightly singed esophagus. I swear Steph was pouring gasoline down my throat and lighting it while I was sleeping. ..

drag.jpeg

I checked some stuff out online and watched Terminator and tried to get my hands to move. At 1 got dressed and headed outiside.

Steph put Heath down for a nap and then came out to help me get my electrolysis tank set up.

IMG_20140504_170532_466.jpg

Once that was done she went in and I finished taking the DragonFly apart.

I didn't have the right puller to get the lift handle off the shaft so I had to get creative. I still had the backing plate for the brake pad I cannibalized for the blade brakes on the MTDs. So I cut it up to make a tool to remove it with my pitman arm puller.

IMG_20140504_145724_249.jpg

IMG_20140504_145733_623.jpg

IMG_20140504_145801_884.jpg

IMG_20140504_150314_113.jpg

When I got to the last 4 bolts on the frame cross member I called her outside to help me because I didn't have enough hands to work everything. She was using the ½ inch impact and a swivel to get on the bolt, and I was holding the frame. She didn't get the socket up on the bolt all the way. When she squeezed the trigger the socket flew off and smashed the end of my left middle finger. I think I said things that offended about ¾ of the population of the planet.

Once that was all apart we cleaned up the work table and then pulled the Craftsman I bought last night up on it. It is going to need steering bushings and a fuel tank grommet and it will be good to go.

IMG_20140504_163303_533.jpg

IMG_20140504_163309_765.jpg

After pressure washing a bunch of tractor parts and getting the main frame rails in the E-tank

IMG_20140504_170538_612.jpg IMG_20140504_170553_076.jpg

I called it a day. My back is not happy.

As I was sitting here at my desk I got a phone call from my neighbor Jenni. She wanted to ask me something and asked if I was home so she could come over. She and Graham are getting married this summer. She asked me to walk her down the aisle. She said I could even wear my hat.

Now I am waiting for supper. No idea what it is.

• olcowhand, MH81, Craig. and 3 others have said thanks

#2005 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 04:33 PM

Glad to see some GT progress down that way!

#2006 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 05:05 PM

Well now. Productive day, new words, and you get to give away the Bride.
Sounds like a winner to me.

#2007 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 07:04 PM

We all went outside and I was looking at the frame in the Etank. I pulled them out and was scraping them off when Steph did something she does about 4 times a year - she had a good idea. She asked if the pressure washer would be a better way to clean the paint off. It was. So not both halves have been blasted and put back in the tank.

Heath and the dogs got a good romp around the yard while Steph pressure washed off the gunk on the back of the house where she tosses food out the window to the chickens. She poured something out and as short as she is it went down the house instead of into the yard. Oh well she enjoys the pressure washer.

• olcowhand, KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#2008 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 06:05 PM

A beautiful day to go to the mountains of NC.

This morning at 9 Heath woke me up.

An_Alligator_in_my_Coffee_____by_ryu_inu.jpg

Then I called Graham to make sure he was up and ready. At 945 we all loaded up in the BlueOx and headed to the scrap yard.

Once all Grahams junk was unloaded and he had a check we pulled in to Tommy's Diner and had a bite to eat. The waitresses are always all over Heath. He had a corndog and OJ.

Then we ran home for 2 reasons:1 I left the address for the next pickup on my desk, and 2 I had to poop. We got home and Graham ran over to his house. I even had to change Heaths diaper so I guess we all had the same issue.

SO with that all taken care of Heath and I had about 15 minutes to wait outside for Graham to come back. Heath got up on a tractor and I sat in a chair. This big boy came to visit me.

IMG_20140505_124036_352.jpg

Then we all headed up to Morganton. It is really beautiful up there this time of year. Actually any time of year.

The first stop was a load of misc steel. (I promptly sliced my leg open.) Once that got loaded up we had 2 hours to kill before the next stop. We found a park to turn Heath loose in. he kept running around saying, “tractor, tractor, truck” so I guess the playground wasn't up to his standards.

IMG_20140505_150852_837.jpg

At 330 we headed across the highway to get something to drink. Then we headed over to get a Murray tractor.

We couldn't find the street number we were looking for. There was a house with a patrol car in the yard and a guy who was obviously a cop on a CubCadet in the yard. We stopped and asked him where 2277 was. He said he didn't know. As he was saying that my GPS switched over to street view. As we pulled away I looked at the picture and it was the house next door. Idiot.

So we went down to a church parking lot and I sent the guy a text.

Graham got out ot smoke a death stick and found a screw in my tire. Fortunately it was just in the tread. While I was unscrewing it the guy called me and said he was home.

When we got to the house he said the cop didn't like him. So that explained that.

The tractor has unfortunately been painted dull gray. Graham said he had 5 cans of red in his shop so it will get rattled to a new hue.

Finally we got home at about 6:00. Heath got out of the truck and ran to a tractor. I guess he missed them. I pulled the frame rails out of the Etank and blasted them off with the pressure washer,

IMG_20140505_180029_979.jpg

oiled them and stuck the other end back in the tank.

We all staggered back in the house – bloody sock and all.

Baked chicken for dinner.

Hopefully and early bedtime tonight.

• olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#2009 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 06:21 PM

Today was a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury. Signifying nothing

This morning at 9 Heath woke me up and we got our day started....

cj.JPG

(I found this when I looked up coffee and juice - how Heath and I start our day)

Then I looked at some online ads and answered some email. By 1030 we were out the door.

I pulled the DragonFly's frame out of the Etank and put in a couple of other parts.

I got the seal I ordered from Bolens1000 yestrerday and I wanted to get it installed this morning so I got the Hemorrhoid hooked to the Buzzard and puled it to the shade of the oak tree beside the dog pen.

Right away things started going wrong. I could not get the driveshaft out. I managed to get the front bolts out but the shaft would not collapse to let it come off the engine. So I turned my attention to the back of the shaft.

One of the set screws came right out. The other one would not budge. PB Blaster and a little heat and nothing. I finally broke an allen wrench off in it. Since it wouldn’t come out I went to find my vice grips. After a hour long search and several unresponded to texts to Steph I was pretty hot under the collar. I used to have 5 pair of good vice grips.

Heath, however, was having a ball following me around from place to place looking for them. I finally found a pair in the bottom of a bucket of parts. It wasn't my good pair, but it was a pair. And promptly the tiny bit of exposed set screw broke off.

I tried everything I could think of for the next hour and a half and got nothing for my efforts.

It was time for Heath to take a nap so we came in and got a fresh diaper and a cup of juice. I set down for a bit and thought and the only solution I could find was to drill it out.

By this time I knew I was not going to make my two pickups in Hickory today so I contacted them and rescheduled.

Another hour and a bunch of drill bits with snapped off ears later I had it drilled through. Then I noticed that my last pass the drive shaft turned while I was drilling and went sideways. So now I have to drill another hole to put a set screw in. The drives haft would not budge. I tried everything but dynamite and was thinking where I could lay my hands on some when I I picked up my tiny little ball peen and tapped the top of the shaft. It moved a teeny little bit. So I sat there for 30 minutes tapping the top of the shaft. Finally it fell off.

When it fell off it shook the tractor enough that my open box of drill bits fell on the ground under the 3 point. Now there are eleventy billion drill bits laying in the grass.

Realizing that there would be fluid that would pour out when I pulled the seal I got 2 5 quart buckets and put one under the tractor and pulled the drain plug. Then I forgot to watch it. I think there were 6 quarts in it. I have a nice puddle in the yard now. Right where the drill bits fell. At least they won't rust.

Then I realized that the genius in charge of design made it so that the drive shaft could not be removed from the tractor without disassembling half of it. So I left it laying.

Then I did the only easy thing that I did all day, I took the snaps rings off the shaft, both the large retaining ring and the little spring clip type one.

Now I found another thing that was pooly designed. There is an input bearing and then the leaky seal. I have never seen any application where the bearing was outside the seal. And guess what? It is frozen solid in there.

I looked at several diagrams and service manuals and it appears to be a huge ordeal to separate the transmission from the trans axle and I would rather avoid that if possible. Although with the bearing frozen on the shaft I cant take it off anyway.

After reading every thing I can find on the Eaton 11 it all says that the bearing could come out pretty easily. All I managed to accomplish was to pull the cover off the sealed bearing.

So I came in and did some looking for bearing pullers locally. The only thing I could find was $129. Nope not doing that.

I could get the ball end of a small allen wrench hooked on the inner lip of the seal, but I couldn't do anything with it.

After staring at the wall for about 30 minutes I had an idea. I think I can make a puller.

Heath woke up and shattered my thinking so I got him up and changed and decided we needed to go to Lowe's.

So we did. I got a piece of thin round stock that I think I can make the puller out of. I hope.

Anyone have any ideas?

I am considering amending its name to the Cranky Old Buzzard.

I am done for the day.

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#2010 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 06:29 PM

I haven't had the opportunity to do this as yet, so fresh out of ideas. Why would you want the bearing outside the seal? That has to be genius working there!