• Member No: 10399
  • 12,770 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted April 25, 2014 - 08:08 PM

Happy Friday..

As you know..

0.jpg

Then I got started.

Steph put the tires I bought yesterday in the back of the BlueOx while I was getting dressed and then took the Hemorrhoid down the hill with the tiny trailer to get the 5th matching H2 wheel that had a much too big tire on it and brought it up.

After I was dressed and had a thermos full of coffee I headed out – to find that the big tire was still in the tiny trailer. She was no where to be seen so I guess she was hiding and watching to see if I died trying to get it in the back of the truck.. I didn't.

Then I made my way to the tire shop.

Tony was busy putting tires on a Dodge Nitro so I harassed his brother, Tracy, ( and owner of the shop) who was working on his sons race car. They were adjusting the toe in and I got elected to hold one of the tape measures and to help push the car around to check it out.

When Tony got the Dodge out I backed the Ox in. When he saw the tires he immediately started to feign back problems. I told him to suck it up.

It took him a good while to get it done but I was in no hurries and I had a thermos of coffee.

Tracy couldn't get the race car to start. He thought the fuel pump went bad so he ran down to get one. He came back and put it on and it still wouldn't start. As he and his helper (whose name I never have learned) tried to figure out why the pump was running but no fuel was coming out I asked if the fuel shutoff valve was open. They both got silent. The helper moved a lever and a geyser of fuel came out from under the hood. I think we have all been there.

Just as I ran out of coffee Tony got the last tire done and I left.

Back at the house I swapped trucks and left again. This time I headed for Ellenboro to get an electric pressure washer. I will figure the gas powered one out later.

On the way up I sent Steph a text and told her to get everything in the back yard picked up so I could mow.

After I snagged the washer I headed to Autozone to get transmission fluid and a filter for the OX. They didn't have a filter there so I had them put one in Lincolnton on hold and then went up there.

With the filter in hand I headed home. Supper was ready shortly after I got here – Chicken and potatoes. Then I went out to mow.

Steph came out to move the extension cord that was running to the battery charger on the Hemorrhoid since it had decided to not start.

I dumped the last half gallon of gas in the Craftsman III, backed it off the trailer, and started to mow. I didn't get far. As soon as I got to the corner of the chicken pen I saw the extension cord that was running the heat lamp for the ducks. I slammed on the brakes and hit the PTO but ti was too late. I did miss the garden hose though.

She came out and helped me get it untangled and picked up the pieces of the cord.

For some reason the Kholer on the C3 doesn't seem to make enough power. I am wondering if a tuneup will fix that.

I got almost all the back yard mowed when it ran out of fuel. So I went over to the Hemorrhoid, and true to her name, she wouldn't start.

We got the charger back out and put it on boost and when she turned the key the negative terminal arced. I swear I am going to take that thing to the scrap yard one of these days.

So here is the final count on the tractors

C3- out of gas
Hemorrhoid - is being the Hemorrhoid
The Buzzard - leaking hydro fluid
The DragonFly - mower deck is under a workbench
Jared's LT - no brakes and the deck engaging cable is broken.

I am not using the push mower. So I came in. No more mowing today.

• olcowhand, MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and 2 others have said thanks

#1967 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,770 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted April 26, 2014 - 08:37 PM

Great Saturday

This morning I was up fairly early for a Saturday.

GivenEnoughCoffee_lg.jpg

We didn't have a whole lot planned so we were taking it easy. Then the phone rang. A guy who wanted to look at an aerator and a spreader said he was about 3 miles away. I didn't give him my address last night on purpose, he knew I was in Crouse so he go close. I told him to give me 30 minutes before he came over.

We all got dressed and Steph headed off to the gas station to get fuel for the Craftsman III. When she got back I went out and finished the back yard while I waited for him.

Then we got started tinkering on the Hemorrhoid.

The guy showed up after a hour and he looked at the Aerator and the 100 LB spreader. He asked what I wanted and I told him to make an offer. He said $125. That was twice what I was going to ask so I didn't argue. We loaded them up in his truck and he headed out.

While he was looking at the stuff Steph got the BlueOx moved over to the work area and drained the transfer case. After the guy left she wanted to get started on the trans filter, but I told her I wanted to wait till Heath went down for a nap so we weren't having to crawl out from under the truck to chase him down.

I got started trying to figure out what was wrong with the Hemorrhoid again. The battery tests as good but ti will not start unless it is jumped off. I took a starter off another engine and put on it and it did the same. Then I put a new solenoid on it and no change. The terminals are tight. I even tried another good battery in it. No change. I swear that tractor is possessed.

Heath was running around barefooted and got a splinter. It took about 30 seconds to get it out and he was off again ( with shoes on).

While we were working on the Hemorrhoid we got to talking about keeping the C3. We both think that it would be stupid to get rid of something that runs so good. She really like it so that settles it.

We took a minute to look at the pressure washer I got yesterday. It is a little Craftsman electric unit. The wand that came with it was crap. However the want off my old Honda went right on and made a huge difference.

I ran up to the store to get a starter push button to see if the switch on on the Hemorrhoid was working. While I was gone Steph pressure washed the back door and steps. The little machine works great if you have ti right up against the work surface. If you back off about 4 inches it doesn't do much so it took her a while to get the steps done.

I got back and turned the key on the Hemorrhoid. It started. I was about to set it on fire when Steph said it was bedtime for Heath.

After she came out we changed the transmission fluid in the OX. We are getting really good at it. Took about 45 minutes.

Then Steph went to the grocery store. I pulled the Hemorrhoid over to the middle of the yard while the engine cover was still off and gave it a good cleaning. I left the engine running so see if it would charge the battery any. When I shut it off it wouldn't start again. Battery still tests good. Screw it.

I pulled the plugs out the C3 and cleaned them up and put them back in. I have never seen a tractor that starts like it does. You literally touch the key and it springs to life. It is almost scary. It has never taken more than a second to start it other than when it was out of gas.

Steph got home and said Heath was awake so she got him up and brought him out.

She put the ramps up on the side of the trailer so I could put the C3 ( it really needs a name) up on them to look at the blades. While I was backing the tractor up Steph yelled, “HEATH NO”. I looked up just in time to see him pick up one side of the drain pan with 2 gallons of used tranny fluid in it up and dump it all out. Oddly enough burst into flames shortly after that. Amazing how that happened.

Then I got the C3 up and sharpened the blades. Since we were keeping it we dug the skinny set of Ags out of the shed and bolted them up. They are weighted so they work fairly well. The turf tires are horrible. I got stuck going up a tiny incline mowing they yard yesterday.

Once it was down on the ground again I took the rug we lay on when we work on a car and tossed it over the clothes line pole and pressure washed it. Lots of gunk came out of it.

Then Heath and I took a ride around the yard on the C3. As we swung past the front of the house I decided the front porch was really overdue for a cleaning. So we got the pressure washer around front and I got on it.

I never realized how nasty it was until I started to clean it. The sun never shines on it so it was pretty green. Last time it rained I nearly busted my butt slipping on it. By the time I was finished with it I was green, but the porch looks great.

I came in and Steph brought my supper – Chicken and macaroni – and I took two bites before Graham came over. I went out to talk to him. When I came back in my dinner was gone. I am going to skin the cat.

Steph found me something else to eat and now I am just worn out.

It was fun though.

• MH81, OldBuzzard, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#1968 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted April 26, 2014 - 08:56 PM

Does Hemorrhoid have the anti diesel solenoid under the fuel bowl?  Could be your starting issue if it does.  May be sticking & not be retracting all the time.

Or is it not cranking over?

#1969 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted April 26, 2014 - 09:19 PM

... so I could put the C3 ( it really needs a name) up on them to look at the blades.

C3P0 ???

• KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1970 jacobd OFFLINE  

jacobd
  • Member No: 17550
  • 49 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted April 26, 2014 - 09:22 PM

Those Kohler magnum twin cylinders are really great engines. They fixed all the bad of the KT twins while keeping the good. The only bad thing about them is rebuild parts are expensive but then again they never wear out and as long as you keep oil in them they don't blow up so who cares.

I like C3 for a name. Easy to remember. 

#1971 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,770 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted April 26, 2014 - 09:28 PM

Does Hemorrhoid have the anti diesel solenoid under the fuel bowl? Could be your starting issue if it does. May be sticking & not be retracting all the time.
Or is it not cranking over?

Not turning over at all.

#1972 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted April 26, 2014 - 09:40 PM

I had a newer cub that I got for free.  It had a kohler 22 or 26 or something twin on it.  It would crank like a SOB with the plugs out.  Put the plugs in no crank.  It would try but the battery terminals would start to sizzle.  Pulled the starter and the starter was just junk  Half the brushes were gone or broke.  It had enough guts to turn over an engine with no compression.  I put a new starter on it and she would fire right up.

#1973 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,770 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted April 26, 2014 - 09:43 PM

I actually put another starter in it to see if that helped. It didn't.

#1974 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 05:05 AM

Your C3 has the Kohler in it? Mine came with the Onan P220 that I put in the #2 FF. Does the C3 have the electric lift?

• UncleWillie said thank you

#1975 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,322 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 05:30 AM

I actually put another starter in it to see if that helped. It didn't.

Is it possible you are dealing with a bad ground?
  • UncleWillie said thank you

#1976 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,770 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 12:55 PM

Your C3 has the Kohler in it? Mine came with the Onan P220 that I put in the #2 FF. Does the C3 have the electric lift?

Yeah it has the Kholer. Good thing is I have a spare one in the shop. No electric lift though.

Is it possible you are dealing with a bad ground?

I checked that and even put my jumper cables from the battery to the block with no change.

• MH81 said thank you

#1977 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 03:46 PM

How about by passing the ignition switch will it start then?

#1978 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 03:47 PM

I have had a battery check good but wasn't, Put your meter across it while cranking, if it falls below 10 volts or so you could have a weak / bad cell.

#1979 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,770 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 07:00 PM

Much was done today.

I slept in a bit today because I was worn out....

makeityet.jpg

Then when Heath went down for a nap Steph and I went outside. There was a lot of stuff that needed to be moved to mow under so she got started picking it up out back while I got started mowing the front yard.

First I had to get the Hemorrhoid started. Just on a whim I stuck the jumper cable back on from the negative terminal to the block. It started. But nothing but the engine worked. I had Steph sit on the tractor and watch the hour gauge while I looked around. I touched the negative terminal and it came on. Touched it again and it went off. Smacked it with a wrench and it worked perfect. I had that terminal off 4 times yesterday, maybe I just didn't hit it hard enough.

While I was mowing Steph left to get a pool for the duckies.

Once the front was mowed I grabbed the push mower and tried to get it to start. The rope broke. Every single pull start engine I have touched this week I have pulled the rope out of. Maybe I need to eat less spinach.

I snagged some paracord and was working on it when Steph got home. Fortunately that little Kholer is easy to do the rope on. Then I couldn't get the stupid thing to start. I sprayed brake cleaner in the carb while Steph pulled the rope. It reluctantly fired up then missed and smoked and finally smoothed out.

I opened the dog pen to mow and the dogs disappeared. I have no idea where they went but they were gone for 2 hours. Then we moved everything around the work area, raked everything up and cleaned it all.

Then we dragged old Nameless out of its hibernation spot with the BlueOx. The new tires made it easy.

IMG_20140427_171321_148.jpg

IMG_20140427_171339_897.jpg

About that time Heath woke up and Steph brought him outside again. He and I mowed where Nameless sat and then rode around the yard a few times. He had a ball.

Then the little air compressor got carried out to nameless to air up her 3 flat tires. I was laying in the grass beside it while one of the tires inflated when Graham came over and stole the Hemorrhoid to mow his yard.

Once the tires were aired up I pushed it back to its spot and then we put the compressor back in the KCFTS. About that time my buddy Dan pulled in the driveway. He looked around at some stuff and found two mowers he really wants. If he has a good day at the sale Monday he will come buy them.

After he left we worked on building a bigger pen for the ducks and getting the pool put in it.

Graham brought the Hemorrhoid back. When he pulled in the yard I heard it missing and choking. Stupid machine.

He helped up get the pen set up. Heath helped fill up the pool.

IMG_20140427_181943_701.jpg

Then he played with the ducks in the pool. He was chirping before I got the camera out.

Once the duckies all knew where everything was I went around front and go the Hemorrhoid. It started with the choke on but wouldn't stay running. So I did what I always do when this happens. I pulled the choke out and shut off the fuel. It died. I started it up again and it would run rough with no choke so I shut the fuel off again. After I restarted it the third time it smoothed out and ran right. I swear that tractor is worse than any high maintenance woman on earth.

Heath posed with the Lowe's

IMG_20140427_184214_558.jpg

We were all tired. I ordered Papa Johns for dinner.

• olcowhand, MH81 and Craig. have said thanks

#1980 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 07:12 PM

That Lowes is the spitting image of the MTD 14/42 I have!

Glad Heath got the pond filled!