UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted April 07, 2014 - 06:11 PM

POURING rain is NO excuse not to get the ag tires mounted onto the FF!    :smilewink:

But I can't tread water and wrench at the same time. 

TIres will go on after I find rears for it.

• Craig. said thank you

#1892 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 07, 2014 - 09:40 PM

I am glad he was on the ball. I opened all the windows in the house to air it out.

Steph came home and declared the potatoes uneatable. She is in the kitchen now - probably plotting my demise.

I thought it was illegal to burn fried potatoes in N.C.It was when I lived there. :rolling:

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#1893 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 09:47 AM

I thought it was illegal to burn fried potatoes in N.C.It was when I lived there. :rolling:

It is definitely not approved.

• Craig. said thank you

#1894 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 06:32 PM

Much was done in a short time.

Heath and I are on our own today.

At about 9am …

268.jpg

Then we got started goofing off. After a wild tickle fest he went off to play in his room while I got online to check on my ads.

I went in his bedroom about a hour later and he had an open jar of peanut butter. I have no idea where the lid went, but there was no PB anywhere. I made him a sandwich and he was happy. About 20 minutes later he brought me a bottle of mustard. The fridge is locked so I really don't know where that came from.

My neighbor, Janice, came over to bring the check I gave her back. Her bank would not let her deposit it even though I endorsed it. So I wrote her a new check and took the one from the scrap yard back. While I did that Heath ran outside barefooted and found a mud puddle to play in.

At 1 I put him down for a nap, started the computers to scanning for viruses and errors, and I went out and got started working on the tractors.

First I got the Buzzard out and added a half quart of fluid to the hydro before it started working right, It has to leak somewhere but I don't see it. Then did some adjusting on the shift linkage. I made it stop going in reverse when you brake but it still isn't right. I also found this ingenious repair on the PO's part.

2014-04-08_14-58-05_849.jpg

If you can't tell that is a ruler. I think I will leave it. I added a lawn mower valve spring to the lever to hold it in the neutral slot.

I had to call Graham over to help me because I couldn't reach both sides of the tractor at the same time. I was having a problem getting my big old bear paws in the tiny opening too. He ran over and helped me. Once I had it staying in neutral instead of reverse we grabbed a chain and went across the street to get his LT.

I used the Buzzard to pull it out then I chained it to the tool bar and picked the front end up off the ground and drove away. He thought it was pretty cool. It worked just like a little tow truck. I do need to get more weight in the front. I have a set of thin plate weights that drbish gave me a while back. I knew I would find some use for them.

Then I tinkered with the JD LX172. 2014-04-08_17-15-15_701.jpg

The wind had blown the tarp off it and filled the carb up with rain water so I pulled the spark plug, vacuumed the carb out, and hooked jumper cables to the starter. It turned right over and had good compression. I need to find a key for it. It takes a key that none of the guys around here have. My buddy, Tim, sent me home with about 15 different tractor keys and none fit.

Then I dragged the TroyBilt chipper out to where I could work on it. I got it to start by pouring gas in the carb but it wont pick it up on its own. It will need a carb rebuild, I will let whoever buys it deal with that.

Then I hooked the Buzzard up to Grady's trailer 2014-04-08_16-17-49_806.jpg

and unloaded the Rally off it. I took a wire brush to the deck and spray bombed it.2014-04-08_17-07-47_361.jpg

I will get it listed tonight. All it needs is a battery.

Then I cleaned up all my tools. Put Grady's trailer in the front yard so it can go back to him tomorrow. Covered the JD up. Checked the workbench for eggs (one stupid chicken lays up there). Then locked up the buildings and came inside.

I checked on Heath I found this.

2014-04-08_17-18-40_778.jpg

Then I checked the computers. One had found 28 malwares. The other was clean. While I was restarting them Graham brought me some egg salad over that he made. If I die it will be his fault.

Finally at about 6 I woke Heath up and surprisingly he had not peed in the bed. So I got his dressed. He was so cold he was shivering. I sat him in my lap and covered him with a blanket till he got warmed up. Maybe he will keep his pants on next time.

Then I put the ducklings in water. I got it a bit too cold because when I went back in 20 minutes later the three little ones were struggling. I scooped them out and dried them off while the tub drained. Heath was feeding them a hotdog bun so they were ok. Then I gave them a dry towel in the tub, fresh water, and food.

Now I get to sit down for a few minutes before I have to feed Heath.

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#1895 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted April 09, 2014 - 06:51 PM

The best laid plans....

Well today I woke up after 6 whole hours of sleep...

need-coffee-2.jpg

I was supposed to take Grady's trailer back to him, and to take batteries to the battery guy, and get three new tractor batteries, but before I could finish my first cup I got a call about the Rally. So I waited for the guy to get here.

He showed up about 30 minutes later and walked to the back yard before I could get my boots on all the way. When I got back there he was looking at Graham's black MTD and shaking his head. When I told him that was the wrong one he seemed a bit puzzled till I pointed out the Bright green tractor about 10 feet away – that just happened to be the one in the picture in my ad.

He looked it over. I started to go get my jumper cables until I realized Steph had left in my truck with them. He had a pair and went to get them. I got a battery and when he got back his cables had a repair on one end that looked like a tiny crimp on connector. It couldn't get enough juice from the battery so I had to drive Christine around to jump start it.

He was pleased made an offer on it with the bad battery and said he would go to the nearest ATM to get the money. He had turned the tractor off so after he left I jumped it back off and it promptly died. No gas. I poured about a half gallon in then drove it up to the front yard and left it running.

I hooked Grady's trailer in Christine and pulled it around front then got the ramps and his jumper cables. About 30 minutes later he came back.

He seemed very pleased with himself and said he bought a battery. He got one for a Honda. I told him it wouldn't work and he couldn't figure out why. He had paid $93 for it. I told him to take it back and ask for a tractor battery and it should be about $25.

I put the ramps up on his tailgate and pulled the tractor up. It wouldn't fit. His camper shell was too low and the steering wheel was too high. A quick twist of the wrench later and the wheel was off and the tractor was in. He wanted to seat to go in too and it wasn't happening. I told him to take a bolt out of the seat and go to a hardware store and get two pins and clips to put in it then he could put the tractor in his truck anytime.

After he left I loaded batteries up in Christine and then came in to check my ads. Grady called and I told him I would be up in a little bit. He asked if we could wait till tomorrow.

SO I pittered around the yard and worked on a couple of tractors. On my other post you can see the problem I had with the Troy-Bilt. I think I can fix that in short order tomorrow.

Then I got to looking at the FF and trying to figure out how to put weights on the front of it. It has the mount for a front blade. I looked around and found a piece of steel that is 13x9x3/4 that I am going ot use for a mount.

It needs some holes drilled and tapped so I called my buddy Reid. He was busy but said I could bring it over at 7. So I collected everything into the back of Christine and dropped the trailer and came in and got interested in a WWII documentary on Germany's Jet fighters and what might have happened if they had lasted till 1946.

Reid called and said he didn't get enough done cleaning his shop so I had to wait till tomorrow. Right now he can't even find the drill bits we need. Last time I was at his place it looked like a tool truck had exploded in there.

So now my day tomorrow is booked.

Chicken and rice for dinner.

• Craig. and Bmerf have said thanks

#1896 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted April 10, 2014 - 06:00 PM

Today I am 3 for 3. Not a bad deal.

After about 5 hours of sleep Heath woke me up at 9. While he was being silly and hiding under his teddy bear...

troll.jpg

then I managed to capture him and get him changed. Once that was done we hopped in Christine and headed up to Grady's.

He kept telling me that he had a little riding mower that he wanted me to fix. Today I was getting it to being home. I figured a little riding mower would fit in the back of Christine because I have had them in there before.

We dropped the trailer off at his shop and then I ran over to the battery guy and sold him 400 pounds of batteries and picked up 3 tractor batteries and left with $78.

We went down the road to Grady's friends house to get the mower. What I found was a Yard Man small garden tractor with a 50 inch deck.. No way that was going in the back of the truck.

Grady took his Exploder back to the shop and got the trailer. When he got back we loaded it up and he pulled it back to his shop where we swapped it over to Christine.

Heath and I headed home. One stop at BoJangles for food and we were almost home when the phone rang. It was Reid. He was ready for me to bring the pieces over for the weights.

Instead of going home I went to his house. He looked at what I had thought up and quickly, like he usually does, had a better idea.

While he worked on that Heath and his Doberman, Shelly, ran all over his property. They wore me out keeping up with them.

Finally I was so tired and sore I had to leave. It was 2 hours past Heaths bed time anyway. He said he would call me when he finished it. He was going to mow the yard first.

Heath and I got home and I put him in bed. He went right to sleep.

I sat for a minute and then went out to start repairing things.

First was the Troy-Bult. The valves were waaaaay out of whack. Once they were adjusted and I tossed a battery in it, it started immediately. I drove it around a bit. The steering is more of a vague approximation of direction control, and the when you engage the deck the belt smokes. I will look at that tomorrow.

Then I got to Graham's MTD. It still had last years gas in it. Once I had that drained, fresh gas and seafoam in the tank, and a battery put in it she fired right up. I was just finishing up with it when he wandered over. He was happy and took it home after a lecture on running it dry at the end of the season.

Finally I attacked Grady's MTD. The fuel filter was in backwards and it had 4 year old gas in it. Once that was rectified it started immediately with a fresh battery. Air in all 4 tires had it right and I mowed the side yard with it. Tomorrow I will change the oil and sharpen the blades before I give it back to him.

I finally staggered in the house. I am tired and my back is killing me.

Spaghetti for dinner. I will be in bed early tonight. I hope.

Ohhh Reid just called and said he is bringing my mount over. Pictures later.

• olcowhand, MH81, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#1897 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted April 10, 2014 - 06:42 PM

And pictures

Attached Thumbnails

• tmp_2014-04-10_19-12-08_338474291993.jpg
  • tmp_2014-04-10_19-12-17_351-1458124174.jpg

• MH81 and Craig. have said thanks

#1898 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted April 10, 2014 - 06:50 PM

Have you got suitcase weights to put on there?

#1899 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted April 10, 2014 - 07:24 PM

No. The first pic with the thin plate on it is the type of weights that will go on it for now. I have about 90 pounds of them and that blue plate and pieces are another 90 or so. I have to drill 2 holes for the bolts for the thin weights.

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#1900 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted April 11, 2014 - 07:15 PM

It's a great day to be alive...

Well the sun came up nice and warm and so did the wind..

Commando-Coffee-Med.jpg

Then we headed outside to get some stuff done.

First we had to take the push blade off the Sears for the guy who paid for it last week to come pick it up. Once we had that wrestled out of the pile of tractors we set it on the back of the big trailer and then I got started on Grady's tractor. Steph held the coffee can for the oil to drain into while I pulled out the spark plugs and the oil filter off. When that was done we hooked up the trailer and I left.

Steph was tasked with cleaning up the yard. The wind has blown all kinds of stuff into it.

I ran to Auto-Zone and got oil, oil filter, and spark plugs. They didn't have an air filter.

Then I ran over to the car wash, stuck the plugs in. Slapped on the oil filter, stuck in the spark plugs and then washed the tractor.

Then I went up to Napa, and Advance to see if they had an air filter. They didn't. I found one at Ace.

Then I carried the tractor back up to Grady. He was surprised to get it back so fast.

He had a tractor hood behind his shop that he gave me. I think it might fit the Troybilt. It will be the wrong color but it will have a hood.

Then I headed home and pulled the Buzzard out of the KFCTS. The battery was dead from my starting and stopping it every few seconds while adjusting the transmission. I forgot about that. Fortunately I still had one good battery so I tossed it in. I will charge the other one later.

When we put the weight mount on the tractor last night we noticed it was about ¼ inch shy of fitting. I loosened the bolts to see if it had any wiggle room and it didn't. So I got out the 1 in ch drill bit that Reid gave me and made the holes bigger. It nearly beat me to death but I got it done with the hand drill. With the bigger holes it worked perfect. After everything was tightened up it looked great.

Then I drilled two holes for the weights to mount to. Steph kept it lubed with a shot of PB Blaster every few seconds. I only broke 2 HF drill bits. Fortunately I got them back out.

After a thorough search of every bucket and tool box on the property we couldn't find any bolts long enough to work that wouldn't require more one inch holes. Tomorrow I will go down to the hardware store and get some.

Here is a better look at how the weights mount.

2014-04-11_17-48-26_392.jpg

We were all tired so I ordered Papa Johns for dinner.

And before I could even post this there is an update. A guy called and wanted to look at a tractor so I gave him directions.

He showed up and we worked out a deal 3 non running tractors for one running one. I will post more details tomorrow.

• olcowhand, MH81, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#1901 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 11, 2014 - 07:33 PM

Does sound like you had a decent day!  No stumped toes, no blood loss, and no sharp sticks to the eyes.  Got some dealings done, and pizza.   :thumbs:   PaPa John's is my choice too!

#1902 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,740 Thanks
  • 8,913 posts

Posted April 11, 2014 - 07:43 PM

I like the weight mount, looks very clean and straight.
  • UncleWillie said thank you

#1903 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted April 11, 2014 - 07:48 PM

Does sound like you had a decent day!  No stumped toes, no blood loss, and no sharp sticks to the eyes.  Got some dealings done, and pizza.   :thumbs:   PaPa John's is my choice too!

I did cut my finger - but it is just a flesh wound.

#1904 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted April 11, 2014 - 11:24 PM

Also doing Papa J's. we don't have one near us and they were open with deliv avail.
Tired and road weary. Good pie tho.

#1905 jacobd OFFLINE  

jacobd
  • Member No: 17550
  • 49 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted April 11, 2014 - 11:49 PM

I used to deliver for Papa Johns. The dough actually was fresh, well in reality it was made in giant batches at some far away distribution center then portioned out onto plastic trays and shipped to the stores to proof in the walk in cooler but still pretty darn fresh. All the vegetables were fresh or canned. The meat was well, processed. Can't remember if it was precooked or not though. Interestingly the cheese was the most expensive ingredient in the whole place. And as you might guess "extra" cheese is not much more cheese. I think the normal amount on a large 14" pie was something like 2 cups and extra was about 1/2 cup more. But it is real actual mozzarella cheese so there's that.  

Another interesting thing is they have a whole list of different dipping sauces. Other than the garlic butter and marinara sauce they also had ranch, blue cheese, honey mustard, BBQ, buffalo, and nacho cheese. They will also sell you a heart shaped pizza if you ask for it lol. The entire time I worked there I never saw one made.

But anyway I'm sure that's more than anybody ever cared to know about PJ's. I always preferred Dominos myself.