UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 07:22 PM

Did you check for a blown fuse? Is this an intermittent wiper motor? How about checking to see if you have power to the motor? Power to the switch?

Fuses are good. I am thinking that the fuseblock has a fault in it and is shorted somehow. I need to have time to tear into it......

• KennyP said thank you

#167 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 07:22 PM

The poet Robert Burns' wrote: "The best laid schemes o' mice an' men / Gang aft agley." (The best laid schemes of mice and men / Often go awry.)

Well today they were gang aft agleying all over the place.

Last night my plans for today were to continue searching for the short on the BlueOx and smoke a cigar in the fresh outdoor air.

This morning I was laying in bed having a sweet dream about a gal I went to high school with , Bridgette Epling. IT was a dream filled with all the innocent fun we had together in class. Then the phone rang. Since it was a number I didn't recognize I hit ignore and tried to drift back off to find Bridgette again. It wasn't to be, the phone rang again. Since it was the same number I answered it. My best friends wife said that they were broke down in the middle of the main road through Shelby.

So I told Steph to make coffee while I meandered out (with my hat firmly on my head) and reassembled the BlueOx. Then we hooked up the trailer, filled up my thermos, and headed to Shelby.

Upon arrival I found Pam’s 95 Bonneville half in the turn lane and half in the grass at the busiest intersection in town. It is an odd intersection in that all 4 ways are up hill so once you reach the bottom you aren’t going anywhere with out power. Fortunately my friends sister happened to come by and picked up his wife (Pam) and two girls ( Susanna and Miriam) and took them to my friends (Buddy) parents house.

We quickly hooked up a tow strap and pulled the car into a K-mart parking lot. The car wouldn't do anything so I sent Steph in to get a pair of jumper cables while Buddy Heath and I stood out in the parking lot drinking coffee and making all the women drool as they drove past.

Steph came out and we hooked the Bonne up to the BlueOx and the security light came on and it would not run. I am thinking the VATS died.

So we loaded the dead Poncho up on the trailer and headed off to Buddy’s parents house. I haven't seen his folks in a few years so it was good to go in and visit. His mom didn’t want to give me Heath back.

SO a plan was made. I was going to take his family home and his preacher was going to bring them his van to use while I fixed the car.

It was 330 when we got to their house and Pam insisted on feeding us. So we all went inside. Heath had a blast playing with the girls and we enjoyed catching up with Buddy and Pam. Then the phone rang.

It was the preachers wife, Tia calling to say that the van had a problem and they had to jump start it and it may not be reliable. She would bring it anyway.

She got to the house and they started off to church while we headed home.

We made it all of one mile before the phone rang. The van had died.

SO I turned around and we jumped the van off and I told her to drive it straight back to Buddy’s house and we would take her home and Buddy’s family wasn’t making it to church tonight.

SOOOOOOOOO We left the trailer with Pam’s car on it at their house and made the long drive to Boiling Springs to drop Tia off. It wasn't all that bad because I haven't talked to Tia much since college 20 years ago.

I am fairly sure that the alternator died on the van so tomorrow morning I will go work on the van then tow Pams car home to see about overriding the VATS. Somewhere I found a website on how to do it so I am going to start searching to find it.

And at some point I am going to search for the short in the BlueOx.

• olcowhand said thank you

#168 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 07:28 PM

Sounds like a fun filled day!

#169 tractorman604 OFFLINE  

tractorman604
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 683
  • 269 Thanks
  • 694 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 07:28 PM

Dang !  i was hoping to hear more about Bridgette :smilewink:

• Craig. said thank you

#170 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,452 Thanks
  • 6,622 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 07:39 PM

If you have another key try that , I had one that went bad .It might be the printed circuit board on the wipers , if your lucky you might find a cold or cracked solder joint  , you never know , Al

#171 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 07:45 PM

Wipers work fine if I jiggle the harness. It is an electrical short.  I have had plenty of GM wiper controllers go bad. This isn't a bad controller. With all the other wierd electrical problems I am really thinking the harness or the fuse box has a short.

#172 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 07:48 PM

Wow Uncle Willie..... not the best of days by a longshot, but at least you got to visit old friends.

#173 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 08:01 PM

And part of a good dream! :thumbs:

#174 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,723 Thanks
  • 4,282 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 10:05 PM

Wipers work fine if I jiggle the harness. It is an electrical short.  I have had plenty of GM wiper controllers go bad. This isn't a bad controller. With all the other wierd electrical problems I am really thinking the harness or the fuse box has a short.

Not sure what year this is but back in tthe early 90's GM had a problem with water getting in the bulkhead connector and causing problems.

#175 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 10:26 PM

Not sure what year this is but back in tthe early 90's GM had a problem with water getting in the bulkhead connector and causing problems.

That is one of the things I am going to look in to. As soon as I have time.

#176 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 06:20 PM

Aggravating morning pretty good evening.

Since I was supposed to get up early and go work on the van it was pouring rain this morning. And by pouring I mean the chickens were wearing water wings type pouring.

So I waited for the rain to let up and then told Steph to make coffee and get Heath ready while my hat and I went out and worked on getting things ready. Then Steph came out and we hooked her S10 to the BlueOx and headed off to Shelby.

The BlueOx ran flawlessly on the way down to work on the van.

Once we go there we set up the pop up canopy while Heath went in to play with everyone. Of course as soon as we had the canopy up it quit raining all together.

Made a quick check and the alternator was good – the battery was way to small (one out of a Honda Civic) and was completely toast. We put the S10 battery in the van and the van battery in the S10 and Steph followed me down to AutoZone.

Alternator tested good in the van. S10 wouldn't even think about turning over. SO a new battery ($135) and we were back to my friends house to see if the trailer would pull out of the yard.

Fortunately it did. Their yard was soaked and I was really expecting trouble. Steph got in the S10 to go do some shopping while Heath and I went home. However, since the truck ran so well on the way there it ran like crap on the way home.

The firewall connector is a mess of melted plastic I found out after I popped on of the covers off the plug. So a new wiring harness is probably going to be in order.

The BlueOx limped home and Heath and I came in to do nothing the rest of the day.

It has rained off and on and my yard is a swamp.

Dinner is in the oven. Beer is good.

• olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks

#177 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 06:24 PM

That's one good thing about a hard long day....it makes your recliner feel so darned good!

#178 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 06:33 PM

:beer:  :beerchug:   I hope you enjoy that beer.  You earned it.

#179 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 06:40 PM

Glad you got the van going! Sorry to hear about the wiring harness. That is a major pain!

#180 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,452 Thanks
  • 6,622 posts

Posted January 15, 2013 - 06:49 AM

Sorry to hear the harness is the problem and not something easy to replace , that sounds like it could be a lot of work if you have both sides of the connector to replace/repair , good luck , Al