Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted February 25, 2014 - 11:23 PM

DANG!

Heath may have a big yard to play in, but you removed all of his 'toys' ya danged big meanie!  Now he's going to have to go over to the tree line to play with a tractor!

Those 'slaves' must have been 'laying down on the job'.  If I remember right 1/4" sheet weights 10 lb/sqft.  Those sheets should have only weighed 320 lb.  Surely 2 guys should have been able to drag 160# each.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#1712 Earl OFFLINE  

Earl
  • Member No: 34405
  • 76 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted February 26, 2014 - 06:33 AM

I wish I was closer, if live to have a couple sheets of that 1/4" for a welding table.

Yard looks good though!

#1713 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted February 26, 2014 - 07:11 AM

1/4"x4x8 Plates aren't that heavy, 2 strong guys can move them around easy.  You need to feed the slaves better, or share your coffee!

#1714 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted February 26, 2014 - 09:44 AM

They are soft. I told them I was going to get Steph to come move the plates.

#1715 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted February 26, 2014 - 05:53 PM

Beautiful sunshiney day!

This morning we all creaked and groaned out of bed around the same time. I headed off to get my fix..

coffee-injection_396130.jpg

Then we loaded the DragonFly and the mobile crane up on the small trailer, hooked that to Christine, then hooked the big trailer to the BlueOx and headed out.

It took up about 30 minutes to get to a house that is literally 10 miles from me as the crow flies. It was one of those, “You can't get there from here.” deals.

Once we finally got there Heath was turned loose on the guys poor unsuspecting field and Steph and I got to work on the scrap.

First was a large metal trolley that was used by a steel manufacturer to move rolls of steel. It was heavy and one of the wheels was frozen. However, it was no challenge for the crane. First the back was lifted up and the trailer driven under it, then the front was lifted and the trailer backed under it farther.

Once we got it up on the trailer we had trouble getting it to slide back from the edge of the trailer. It took all three of us and the DragonFly to get it to move.

ss2.JPG

Then some smaller stuff got tossed on it; including a Craftsman II with no motor and a big fan, and we headed home.

The DragonFly got offloaded and the little trailer got hooked to the Hemorrhoid. I got started loading the stainless steel on the trailer while Steph loaded the catalytic converters in Christine and headed off to Charlotte. Heath was down for a nap.

I got all the stainless loaded and put a lot of smaller steel on the big trailer. sst.JPG Tomorrow morning we are off to the scrap yard then we have to go get a car.

• olcowhand and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1716 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted February 26, 2014 - 06:13 PM

That trolley looks like it would make an excellent welding table. Remove rollers and add legs. Just a thought.

#1717 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted February 26, 2014 - 06:23 PM

That trolley looks like it would make an excellent welding table. Remove rollers and add legs. Just a thought.

I know right? If it was a bit taller I would be keeping it. It is short enough it would kill my back to use it. I already have a big metal work table if I need to weld something. I am a lousy welder though so I usually farm mine out to someone who knows what they are doing.

#1718 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted February 26, 2014 - 08:44 PM

I wonder what the mfg plate says on that thing. I bet it was built quite a while ago.

#1719 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted February 26, 2014 - 08:49 PM

I will look tomrrow. To tell you the truth I never saw it till you said something.

EDIT OK I lied. Curiosity got the best of me.

http://i.imgur.com/Figlcp8.jpg

Edited by mybigwarwagon, February 26, 2014 - 08:54 PM.

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#1720 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted February 27, 2014 - 07:17 PM

Today started off weird.

This morning at 7am the alarm went off and we reluctantly came to life.

I had to

bomb.jpg

When I tried to get online I couldn't. After playing with it I was getting ready to call AT&T and I had an idea. They left me an extra modem last time they came out so I plugged it in. Instant success.

SO I took a quick look at my email and then called Graham to tell him we were up. He wanted to go with us today. He was still asleep.

I told Steph to go out and start the trucks to get he frost off the windows and we waited for Graham. When I got outside 20 minutes later my windows were still frosted. There was stuff laying onmy defroster vents and Steph didn’t notice it.

We took a few minutes to toss the stainless steel in the back of her truck so the little trailer didn't get drug for no reason. Then we headed out.

At the scrap yard Graham and I unloaded the big trailer while Steph with to the little building to get the stainless unloaded. When we got everything but the big trolley off the trailer we couldn't get the trolley to budge. There was a guy in the crusher and I waved at him and he just pointed down the hill. So we waited.

About that time a semi truck pulled up that needed to be unloaded and he needed to be where my truck was. I didn't move. The guy in the crusher finally got off his butt and got in the loader to get the trolley off. He wasn't happy.

We got paid and headed home. After dropping the trailer and grabbing the tow dolly we were off again. This time we had to go to the big metropolis of Vale to get a Chevy Lumina. Fortunately it ran and we drove it up on the dolly.

Back at the house we started to tear it apart. Heath was checking out all the tractors while we worked.

The catalytic converter was a challenge. Sometimes the exhaust pipe will harded after a couple hundred thousand miles of heating and cooling. When that happens a sawzall cannot cut it. I had to crawl under the car with my little air cutter and buzz it off. It took forever.

Graham walked across the street to get something and Steph and I worked on the radiator. Heath was petting the dogs. I turned away from him for maybe 30 seconds and he was gone. We immediately headed for the front yard to find him. He usually goes up on the front porch. As I came around the side of the house we heard a horn blow. My heart sunk. I ran for the road. Heath had crossed the road went to Grahams house and went inside. Fortunately the lady in the car saw him go inside and told us. I could have kissed her. He got incarcerated in his outdoor pen after that. I swear that kid has a cloaking device. He just vanishes and reappears across the yard.

So after my heart slowed back down we got the car apart and then Graham and I headed off for the scrap yard with the car. Steph put Heath down for a nap.

There were trucks parked close to the scrap pile and a tow dolly is about impossible to back up with a car on it. We dropped the car and steered it back to the pile and let it crash in deep.

Next we headed home and hooked the big trailer back up and headed to Hickory. A guy up there told me he had a trailer made from a pickup truck. It was not what he had described to me. It was a small truck axle (think Chevy LUV) welded to a light frame. I could have taken Christine and the small trailer.

Once we had that loaded we headed over to the cigar shop. After that we headed back for the house.

When the phone rang. It was Grady. The used hub we put on the Mazda had some wobble in it. I told him I would head over to look at it and so we did.

I got there and sure enough it wobbles. I think that tightening the CV hub nut up might fix it. I will take the big socket over tomorrow morning and see if I can tighten it up some. If now we need a new hub bearing. :(

We finally got home. I have no idea how many miles we went today but it was bunch.

• MH81, KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1721 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted February 27, 2014 - 07:25 PM

Hard to believe how fast those little legs can move!
  • KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1722 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted February 27, 2014 - 07:34 PM

Them little guys can move faster the the speed of light at times!

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#1723 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted February 28, 2014 - 12:36 AM

Yep, both the older ones have tried that "faster than light" crap on us when younger, thankfully Heath is fine.
  • toomanytoys84 said thank you

#1724 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 28, 2014 - 08:06 AM

It never ceases to amaze me how the little ones can be there one minute, gone the next.  Glad Heath is Ok.

#1725 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted February 28, 2014 - 01:35 PM

My kids growing up have pulled that trick a time or two.  I know how fast panic sets in!  Glad the little feller is safe.