• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 12:11 AM

Glad headway is being made. Not a huge fan of those antilock systems either, thank goodness they default to std brakes when unplugged.

#1698 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 08:30 AM

Uncle Willie, while the antilock may be shorted, from what you say you have a bad ground.  If everything is properly bonded on the negative or ground side, it will remain at 0 volts with respect to the battery negative pole.  Then, if there is an internal short on the antilock, it would most certainly blow a fuse, because too much current would be passing through it.

Also, it seems to me that if your fuel pump would run while straight wired to a battery, but not while hooked to the truck, the problem would be in the wire connections.  Maybe I missed something you did, or maybe you did try jumping power to the fuel pump again and didn't write that down.

At any rate, from what you do describe, it seems like you need to find out why that ground was at 9 volts.  Maybe run a ground wire to another subsystem of the truck?  Maybe you have a good wire from the battery to the engine, but usually there is another strap from engine to the frame to complete the electrical bond, it could have a bad connection.

• DougT and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1699 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,719 Thanks
  • 4,279 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 10:35 AM

I'm with Howard on this one but I'm not sure how you were measuring. Anything ground to ground should be 0. Any short to ground should blow a fuse or burn the truck down. Where did you have your meter hooked up to? If you had one lead on the battery and one on a ground circuit then you were basically doing a reverse voltage drop test. At that point you would work your way back towards the battery and check all connections to ground until you find the high resistance. I've seen main ground wires that hook to the aluminum accessory bracket loose contact to the block through the bracket.
  • MH81 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1700 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 12:34 PM

Believe em we checked the ground back and forth and sideways. The only time it had power was with the anti-lock plugged in. I called a buddy of mine who is Gm certified and he said that is exactly how some of the older ones go out. Why didn't it blow a fuse? Who knows. It was causing all kinds of other problems though.

Yes we hooked the fuel pump back up. Even with it straight wired to the battery it had to be whacked a few times to come on. At 200K it appears to be the original pump so it is time to replace it.

• Craig. and HowardsMF155 have said thanks

#1701 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 01:43 PM

Actually at one point we had the ground unhooked from every thing but the ABS and still had 9v on the ground.

#1702 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 03:01 PM

I hate the ABS on the 'Hoe, got it unplugged now cause the one sensor ring in side the hub is dirty and covered with rust. It was making the ABS come on at slow speeds all the time. I feel so much in control now with it unplugged, you never knew when it would engage or not.

Good to know about it shorting internally if I start having other issues

• Craig. said thank you

#1703 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 03:55 PM

I've got a 2001 GMC 1500 - the anti-stop braking has resulted in more than one cold sweat this winter.

(pushing on the brakes as hard as possible and the ABS just pushes back)

#1704 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 07:29 PM

Truck is fixed. Bathroom is fixed. Monster in law is here. I am exhausted.
  • MH81 and Craig. have said thanks

#1705 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 08:37 AM

There was a recall on the ABS system on some of the older Chevy trucks. My buddy had a 97 1500, 4x4 that I was driving one day, went to apply the brakes for a stoplight (well in advance of the light mind you and I was only going about 30 mph, on completely dry pavement) and the ABS freaked out, pushing the pedal back so I had no brakes whatsoever. I let up and re-applied the brakes several times with the same result until I had no choice but to hop a curb and slalom some trees til I came to a stop, otherwise I would've slammed into stopped traffic. He was not at all happy with me and didn't believe my explanation until it did it to him 2 weeks later. A month after that Chevy issued a recall and I was vindicated. Never been a fan of ABS but that system in particular made me angry. I don't like the vehicle trying to think for me.

#1706 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,240 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 02:47 PM

I hate the ABS on the 'Hoe, got it unplugged now cause the one sensor ring in side the hub is dirty and covered with rust. It was making the ABS come on at slow speeds all the time. I feel so much in control now with it unplugged, you never knew when it would engage or not.
Good to know about it shorting internally if I start having other issues

My 03 ranger would do the same thing. At really bad times. Like pulling into a parking spot.

#1707 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted February 23, 2014 - 07:29 PM

Much was done today.

Heaths birthday party was yesterday. It was a zoo. Mostly because my mother in law was here. I know why her husband drinks. By the time they left I was ready to dive head first into a vat of moonshine and dry to drink myself out.

So after getting a good nights sleep I got up and had some

kami.jpg

Then Heath and I played with his new train and I goofed off online until he went down for his nap.

When he went to bed I headed outside while Steph had to run to pick up a prescription.

She had rented me a coil spring compressor day before yesterday and when I opened the box to use it I found it was the wrong one. So I couldn't swap the coil spring over on the strut for Grady's Mazda.

I started trying to get the valves out of some empty propane tanks and found I could not get them to budge. So I drilled holes in them and then cut the valves off with the sawzall.

When Steph came home I sent her back to Autozone to get the right compressor and a breather for me to wear, and then I started to take the valves out of another pile of fire extinguishers. I was careful to not make a cloud of power while I pulled the valves out.

Steph came back and we got the coil spring swapped and then I asked her for the mask. She forgot them. While she went to Wal-Mart I took some more valves off.

Once I had the mask I filled up another 5 gallon bucket with fire retardant. I new have all the extinguishers apart. Anyone want 10 gallons of powder?

While I was dumping them out my buddy Reid came over. He talked while I was filling the bucket up.

When I got finished we looked around the yard till he found a gas tank for an engine stand he is building.

When he left I came in and got in the shower. There was no water. Steph went out and hit the pressure switch on the well and it came on. I guess tomorrow I am buying a new pressure switch.

After a very weak shower I am clean. Now to rest until tomorrow.

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#1708 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted February 24, 2014 - 07:02 PM

A lousy night turned into a nice day.

Try as I might I could not get to sleep. I tossed and turned and at about 3am I relaized I did not take sleep meds. So after watching all but the last episode of Alias ( I know how it ends, but I have never seen the last season) I finally dozed off at about 530. At 12 I woke up and laid in the bed.

Finally I dragged myself into

coffee-swimming-pool.jpg

Then I got dressed and loaded up some tools and headed off to Grady's shop.

When I got there I realized I had left a part at the house. I called Steph to bring it to me.

About 45 minutes later she showed up and helped me get the Mazda back together.

After bleeding the brakes down Steph left to go to Goodwill. Grady and I talked for a while then I headed home.

I am exhausted and foggy headed. After one more strong cup of coffee laced with stronger whisky I feel a bit better. I will be in bed early tonight.

• olcowhand, MH81 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1709 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted February 24, 2014 - 08:47 PM

Enjoy the sleep. Whiskey, sounds good.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• motobreeder, HowardsMF155 and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#1710 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted February 25, 2014 - 07:52 PM

Long hard day.

This morning, far to early, my alarm went off.

It was time for

trailcoff.jpg

Then I got dressed and headed down to pick up my slaves.

Once I got them back to the house we got to work. It was a long day, but we got the entire yard cleaned up and organized. A bunch of stuff got tossed in the burn barrel. It is half full of ashes now. I will have to take it down and dump it out after it cools off.

When all the cleaning was done I pulled the big trailer across the yard and had them unload it. When they got down to the big steel plates they tried to pull them off by hand. The plates are 4x8x1/4 not light at all. They couldn't budge them. I laughed at their attempt and got the DragonFly. They came right off the trailer.

The DragonFly ran out of gas and then the battery died before it would restart so she got pulled up to the shop to get a charge.

I now have nice separated piles of stainless steel, aluminum and regular steel to take to the scrap yard.

Heath has a nice big yard to play in now.

shop13.JPG

shop11.JPG

shop12.JPG

About 5 I took the slaves home and came back. Steph was at the neighbors ( they were out shopping and playing all day) so I went over and talked a while. They couldn't get her new computer to talk to her new printer. I had a little counseling session with them and they are getting along wonderfully now.

Edited by mybigwarwagon, February 25, 2014 - 08:01 PM.

• olcowhand, MH81, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks