• Please log in to reply
4302 replies to this topic

#1621 Sal Mcc OFFLINE  

Sal Mcc
  • Member No: 51445
  • 104 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 06:06 PM

That is how people feel looking at my stuff.

My Dad yells at me constantly for this.

I was thinking my dad's tools are like that but i cant say too much. Lately mine are very unorganized. I am thinking of a plan though to fix it.

#1622 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,734 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted January 31, 2014 - 06:22 PM

Well Christine got a work out today.

Last night my back was killing me and made it about impossible to sleep. So at about 1030 ...

running.jpg

Thanks Motobreeder.

Then I got dressed and played with Heath for a while. At about noon I saddled up in Chrisitne and headed to Charlotte.

Stopped at Quicktrip for gas and a hotdog and then headed north.

I got to the transmission shop and the owner wasn’t there and no one knew what to charge me for the transmission work. One of the new guys there was a tiny little black guy. The first thing he said was, “Man you are huge.” we had a good laugh.

So I bummed around the shop and sat in the office and talked to the owners dad for a while then I decided I would take a ride up to the cigar shop. On the way out I came across the shop foreman and asked if they still had the tires I had asked him about earlier. He did and said they could have them off the car and broke down for me in a couple of hours.

I didn't realize that they had already loaded the transmission up in the truck so I strapped it down and left.

I sat in the cigar lounge for a while talking to the people (I may have a job from one of the guys there ) and watching “The Last Stand” and finally my phone rang. I may have a job from one of the guys there. Greg was back.

I headed back to the shop and when I go there all the employees were standing about 20 feet away from Greg who was talking to 4 guys and a woman.

I joined the guys standing there and soon found out that the guys (both felons – actually cellmates) and come to get money back from Greg for something. All I heard from Greg was he was going to call the cops if they didn't leave. Once that was over he came in the shop and told me I owed him $300. I paid him.

After hunting through the shop for the foreman we finally found him. He is a little guy and I told him he could hide behind a blade of grass. While I was joking with him I told him I would just stick him in my pocket and take him home.

HE had my 8 tires in 2 stacks of 4. I stuck one arm in each pile and grabbed 3 tires with each hand. He said, “Well I guess you could stick me in your pocket.” I told him to grab the other two tires before I got mad.

For $200 I got 8 nearly new tires for Christine. Once they were loaded I headed home.

Traffic on 85 south was a parking lot so I hit back roads and headed home. After snaking thru back roads I am home. Heath attacked me as soon as I got home.

Tomorrow the trans goes back in and the Blue Ox will ride again.

• olcowhand, MH81, Craig. and 5 others have said thanks

#1623 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted January 31, 2014 - 07:02 PM

Sounds like a good day. Glad you got out of the tranny shop with your wallet mostly intact and didnt have to help Greg manage his problem.
  • UncleWillie said thank you

#1624 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,734 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted January 31, 2014 - 07:19 PM

Sounds like a good day. Glad you got out of the tranny shop with your wallet mostly intact and didnt have to help Greg manage his problem.

I was there if he needed me. The two felons were pretty big guys. I think the 7 of us standing there could have handled it.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#1625 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted January 31, 2014 - 07:50 PM

Hopefully they don't come back later. Stuff like that makes me nervous.
  • olcowhand said thank you

#1626 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,734 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted February 01, 2014 - 07:15 PM

IT IS ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well this morning I slept till about 9am then I laid in bed for a while and tried to get my back to cooperate with me.

Once I was vertical...

coffeedragon.jpg

I went out and got the transmission out of the bed of Christine with the moblie crane and set it bewsside the Ox, then loaded up the wheels that needed to go back on Christine. Steph w s getting Heath ready to ride.

Then Heath and I jumped in Christine to run some errands. On the way to the parts house we had a discussion on the true meaning of happiness. It was something like this, “tractor tractor tractor truck truck truck truck dadadadadaddaddadada mamamama tractor truck” I think that about says it all.

We hit AutoZone and got a belt for Christine and transmission fluid for the Ox. Next stop was the hardware store. I had to get some new screws to hold the center caps on the wheels.

As soon as we walked in the door Heath let go of my hand and grabbed a buggy. So I let him push it through Ace Hardware. We got back to the bolt aisle and he began grabbing random bolts and washers and tossing them in the buggy. Every time he turned his back I put them back in the bins. I finally picked him up and put him in the little buggy, right next to the “do not put children in basket” label. I am a rebel. After the sales person had found the right screws he handed Heath the little bag with them we headed for the checkout.

Next stop was the tire shop. Heath played in the truck while the tires got mounted. As usual I did half the work. For $20 I got 4 tires mounted and balanced. And I got to harass Tony.

Heath decided to try on a coffee cup for size.

heathcoffee.jpg

Back at home I ate a sandwich then Heath went to take a nap. Once he was in bed we headed outside and crawled under the BlueOX. In about an hour and a half we had the transmission in and made a few adjustments on it.

I took it for a test drive and saw my neighbor Dan outside. I stopped to say hi and wound up coming home with 5 pounds of boiled peanuts and a bag of pork skins. After 2 beers and many tall tales I headed home.

Steph had most of the tools cleaned up.

Heath was up from his nap so he came outside and wanted to play in Christine. Steph and I made a test fit of the push bumper.

bump.jpg

I made lots of measurements and will get the new brackets welded up soon.

Then I pulled the wiper motor off. I thought the arms were locked up, but they aren't. I decided to being it inside pull it apart at my desk. I know there is another wiper motor somewhere around here but after 30 minutes of searching we couldn’t find it.

Graham wandered over while we were searching for the motor. I have no idea exactly when. I turned around and there we was. While he was over I lit the pampas grass on fire. It needed to be done but I kept forgetting. He had never seen it done. In about 3 minutes it was all over. It will grow back nice and pretty this spring.

Heath and I are ruining our dinner with pork skins now. Yummmmmmmy.

• olcowhand, KennyP, sacsr and 2 others have said thanks

#1627 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• Member No: 6780
  • 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted February 01, 2014 - 11:54 PM

Well I have had enough laughs to last me a week or two.........Between you and Daniel, my sides are usually sore before I sign off........

• KennyP said thank you

#1628 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,734 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted February 02, 2014 - 05:19 PM

And today I started loving you again …..

After a good night sleep I woke up ready to take on the world.

hug.jpg

Then I got dressed and headed outside into the lovely sunshine to get to work. While Steph and Heath ran around the yard I hopped in Christine and headed to the parts house to get a pulse control circuit board for the BlueOx.

When I got home I stuck it in and still nothing. A new wiper motor was only $50.

We took a minute to put the new serpentine belt in Christine and found that the power steering pump was completely loose. A little tightening and it was right as rain.

So I jumped in the BlueOx and headed to AutoZone. Man it was nice to drive her again. It rides so much better than Christine.

While I was driving I had a thought that maybe it wasn't the wiper motor so when I got to AZ I carried the new motor outside and plugged it in. Nothing. So I carried it back in and got a test light and a meter because both of mine grew legs and ran away from home.

Then I headed back to the house.

Since I have the 88 Chevy pickup I decided to plug my motor in to its wiring harness and see if it worked. It did. I don't know why I didn't think of that earlier.

After a few seconds of searching I found the problem. A broken wire. A little solder and some heat shrink and the wipers were back in business.

Heath was getting tired and kept going to the front door; which is a signal that it is nap time. So Steph put him in bed.

With the front of the truck put back together we took a break and enjoyed the sunshine for a while. Then we took Christine down the hill in search of the bumper I have had for about 8 years.

A short hunt through the weeds and it was located and brought back up the hill.

Getting the old bent bumper off the OX was a chore. It had a slightly bent frame horn and the bracket for the drivers side was really messed up.

But it looks so much better with the straight bumper.

newbump.jpg

After some beating and bending we got it mounted and then sat in the lawn chairs for about 2 hours talking and listening to the radio while the dogs ran around the yard like lunatics till they finally wore themselves out.

lazy.jpg

Casrmel.jpg

diesel.jpg

Finally I had all the sunshine I could stand and we came in to take a shower. I was filthy. All that rust and dirt from under the truck sell right in my face.

Now I am all clean. Steph and Heath went to the store. I have a full thermos of coffee. Life is good.

• KennyP, sacsr and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1629 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted February 02, 2014 - 06:18 PM

I am enjoying a nice cup of coffee as I type this.  Man, you did have a sunny day.  Rain since before I woke up & still raining.  Soon to turn to snow, and expecting up to 4".  Not that much, but if the highway department does like they did last time, I'll have to take mom to her Dr checkup tomorrow instead of Teresa.  Your pics made me miss Sammy!

• UncleWillie said thank you

#1630 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,734 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted February 03, 2014 - 08:41 PM

Much was done today, but not much was accomplished.

I got to sleep at 300 this morning so when I got out of bed at 10 I needed

112_0907_01l+asphalt_jungle+coffee_car.jpg

Then I checked my stuff online and watched a few videos and finally got moving for the day.

I had to go up to Grady's shop to see about getting his daughter in laws car pulled apart. However I forgot to take my big sockets and I couldn't get the CV axle off. He didn't have a drain pan so I couldn't have pulled the axle anyway. Not without making an unholy mess in the shop.

We found a couple more parts that got smashed in the wreck and he put them on the list to order. Then we got to talking cars and politics. Not much else got done on the Mazda.

I left and headed to to the car wash to clean all the transmission fluid off the BlueOx. I think it is the first time in 3 years it has been washed.

Then I stopped by Arby's and grabbed some food to surprise Steph with. And then made what should have a been a quick run to Lowe's.

I needed a 7 pin trailer side connector and a hole saw. When I got to the store I moved the shift lever up to park and nothing happened. I set the parking brake and crawled under it and the clip that holds the shift lever on had fallen out.

SO I got inside the store and found a clip then looked for the trailer plugs. They used to be next to the tool boxes. They were nowhere to be seen.

I asked an employee and he said they were all the way on the other side of the store by the lawn mowers. Brilliant place for them.

So I trudged across the store and got a plug and some trailer wiring. I thought I had some lights at the house so I was good on that. Then I headed over to tools to get a hole saw.

After I paid I went out and put the clip in the shift lever and went home.

Heath was still taking a nap so Steph and I had a picnic on the hood of the Ox.

I drilled a hole in the back bumper and mounted the plug. Then we rewired the tow dolly. Steph went to look in the shop for trailer lights and we only had one. So she ran to Wal-mart to get lights.

A guy showed up to look at the Kia van and said he wanted it. He gave me $300. I gave him the title. I will deliver the van to him to morrow and get the other 300.

Steph go back and Heath woke up. He came outside and we put the lights on the fenders of the tow dolly and the new back lights worked, the lights on the front of the fenders didn't. She tried to take one off and it disintegrated. So Heath and I made a run to Wal-Mart while she cleaned up the tools.

The didn't have lights like I had to get some LED lights and then headed home.

4 self tapping screws and 2 connections later and I had working lights on the dolly for the first time since I have owned it. I have been using magnetic tow lights, but they can be a hassle.

At long last we loaded the Kia up on the dolly and strapped it down.

Even though it was 8pm Heath was still running wild. Whoever invented the shoes that light up was a genius. It made it very easy to keep track of him in the dark. Every-time we asked him if he was ready to go inside he would make another lap of the yard.

Dinner was soup and cornbread that the neighbor made for us.

It just seems that I ran far too long to get not all that much done, however it is Monday.

• olcowhand, KennyP, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#1631 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,233 Thanks
  • 5,073 posts

Posted February 03, 2014 - 08:48 PM

Lowes is the worst laid out store in the world.....

I went there for shop vac filters. Find the shop vacs but the filters are on the other side of the store..

Those light up shoes are great. Also every lap they make around the yard assures they go to bed that much easier

Edited by toomanytoys84, February 03, 2014 - 08:49 PM.

• UncleWillie and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1632 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,734 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted February 03, 2014 - 10:06 PM

When he goes to bed exhausted everyone sleeps better.

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#1633 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,941 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted February 03, 2014 - 10:07 PM

I like touring Lowes when I have no cash and just needing to kill time. occasionally I'll have a project in mind (like my shop partition divider) and look for track or hanging pullies. The thing with Lowes, no one bothers you by asking if they can help. I go to Home Depot when I have cash and need to buy something specific. I am always met at the door and directed to the correct isle, and don't have to wait long to be helped (and many (not all) know just what I am looking for). 

#1634 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted February 04, 2014 - 06:44 AM

If we are complaining about Lowes I'll throw in my 2 cents .  I was saving mony to buy a 12" compound miter saw and bought one at Lowes for $219 which I thought was a good price , about a monyh later at Home Depot I saw this display  with miter saw on sale from $179 to $149 , thought it must be for the smaller 10" nope , maybe not a compound ,,, nope  , it was the excat same model #  DeWalt 715   :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:   

#1635 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,734 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted February 04, 2014 - 10:47 AM

Out here you go to Lowes or make a30 minute drive to anywhere else.