UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted December 31, 2013 - 08:43 PM

Willie, I have been checking out your lift that you use behind the dragonlfy. I really like the design and I am thinking of something similar for all the crazy stuff / projects that i get into.

A couple questions for you. First - Does yours seem to be balanced pretty well ? 

Second - If i make one of these, Is there any recommendations you would have for me ? 

Any ideas or input would be appreciated. Thanks. 

Oh, and by the way, how did you come up with the name Dragonfy?

The crane is great however the legs are not long enough and it will lift the back of the tractor off the ground.

I am going to make changes like this

crane2.JPG

I am also going to put a ball hitch on it instead of the pin (like a garden trailer has) on it now. The pin will not let it rotate on uneven ground. I have bent many many pins.

And DragonFly. She is so ugly she is beautiful - and bugeyed,

• Alc, Craig., HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#1487 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted December 31, 2013 - 08:52 PM

What a way to end the year.

This morning I got up early because the aluminum had to go to the smelter. Steph got up before I did and was in the kitchen when I staggered in. The coffee pot had about a inch of coffee in it so I grabbed it and dumped it out in the sink while Steph was babbling some kind of jibberish that had the word no in it. I thought she was talking to Heath. I looked back at the coffee maker to find coffee all over the counter. She had started a pot, but didn't turn the burner on so I thought it was yesterdays leftovers. Yeesh.

courage-wolf-meme-generator-i-need-coffee-i-need-some-now-5e0e55.jpg

While drinking my first cut I called the smelter. He was out of town. He forgot to text me. The rain had him a day behind too.

So I had another cup and did my exercises. And the phone rang. It was my elderly neighbor. Her son had told her that there was a home invasion down the road from us and she wanted me to keep an eye on her house.

I decided to ride down the road to see if I could see anything since the news was silent on the issue.

I hopped in Christine and went to the end of the road. I didn't see anything so I made a U turn and headed back. As I shifted into second there was a metallic pop and then nothing. I coasted to the side of the road and called Steph to come get me with the BlueOx. I knew the clutch was going so I wasn't concerned.

She go there and I took my 40 foot long tow strap and put it thru one of the tow bar mounts on Christine’s bumper, she ran it thru the pintle hitch on the Ox then I put the other end in the other tow mount. She go the strap hung in the pintle and it was jammed in there so that we couldn't release it to get the strap out. I told her to go ahead and pull me and would get it out at home. There was about 4 feet of slack in one side of the strap.

Going down a steep hill I held the brakes on Christine and all of a sudden BANG my head hit the back window and I was seeing stars. I called her on the radio and told her to stop so I could get my bearings. The strap got unhung and the 4 feet of slack became a weapon of mass headaches. I am surprised it did not break the back glass.

We got home and unhooked Christine in the driveway and left it. There was no great hurry to get the clutch replaced so I decided to try to get the industrial dishwasher apart so the stainless could go to the scrap yard and I would have a little more money.

3 bolts in and my phone rang. It was my friend Grady. He wanted to know if there was a back way to come home from Hickory ( he doesn’t know his way around anything but main roads) because he had a bad wheel bearing. I told him to stop and I would come get him before an easy fairly cheap repair became a big fiasco.

It took me about 30 minutes to get there and get him on the tow dolly. Then he, his wife Mary, and dog Shandy clambered aboard the BlueOx express and we headed home.

I wanted to drop his truck at my house before I took them home because they live on a dead end street. So once it was in the yard and unhooked we left again. They had to return a couple of movies to Family Video so I stopped and Grady ran in.

As I started to pull out it appeared that someone had directed all the traffic in NC down Hwy 150 in Lincolnton. I guess it is New Years traffic. Since I wasn't going to be able to make a left turn out of the parking lot, I checked my mirrors and backed up to turn around. BOOM while I was sitting there someone came and erected a wooden utility pole behind the BlueOx. Honest, that is my story and I am sticking too it.

I didn’t' think it could have done any damage because it was such a low speed hit. I figured the bumper had a ding in it and just went on to take them home.

I got out at Grady's house and looked and it was a little more severe than I expected. The bumper was rusted almost through. Evidently the chrome was the only part that was still holding together. The bumper folded in the center and the drivers side of it smashed the back corner of the truck. Fortunately Grady is my body guy. He said he would fix it and I went on.

At 430 I pulled back in my driveway and Steph and I got to work jockeying vehicles around in order to get both Christine and his Exploder to where I could work on them.

The only thing holding his front end together was the brake rotor and caliper. The wheel bearing fell apart. It did take me forever to get the CV axle out of the hub though. I will be grinding the end back down to get the nut back on it I kind of mushroomed it a bit.

http://youtu.be/eOHNhsgPQMg

With his truck apart I turned my attention to Christine. Rolling around on the cold ground with a droplight was not a fun way to work. At 745 I had the clutch laying on the ground. The spring fingers on the pressure plate were all bent. The throwout bearing fits perfectly through it.

Since we both don't really expect Christine to last another year I am not going to resurface the flywheel.

I came in a showered and at 8pm I finally had my first bite of food all day.

I have a feeling bed will be early tonight.

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#1488 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,301 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted December 31, 2013 - 08:59 PM

Ouch, full day. Glad Christine will ride again, but sorry to hear of the bent fingers and fenders.
  • oldedeeres said thank you

#1489 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 07:49 PM

Not a bad start to the new year.

I woke up this morning a bit sore, but functioning.

Then

d-Coffee_addict.jpg

After I was caffeinated we all loaded up in the BlueOx and headed over to the smelter. It took us about a hour and a half to get unloaded and weighed and paid. Then we ran home to drop off the big trailer and then go to the parts houses.

First we went to Advance and got the wheel bearing and hub for Grady's Exploder then we ran by AutoZone to exchange the clutch from Christine.

We got back home and it was time for Heath to hit the bed for a nap while Steph helped me get the Exploder back together.

Once that was done we had to make a decision on her truck. There was no way it was going to get finished today. It is supposed to rain tomorrow. The truck was sitting on a large rug that was going to become soaked when it rained. We decided to take the truck down off the blocks and put the rug in the shop. That way we can get out there Friday and not have to lay in the wet to work on it.

I took the Exploder back to Grady and then he brought me home.

All three of us have been sitting in the office watching you tube videos of trucks towing stuff.

Found this on a FaceBook posting where a guy was talking about how awesome his truck was because he towed a pickup behind it. I posted this picture, he added the words.

badass.jpg

• olcowhand, MH81, Craig. and 3 others have said thanks

#1490 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 07:00 PM

Today in summary

batrman.gif

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#1491 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 04:35 PM

Well It seems that we got a little taste of winter. It was 9 degrees this AM

This morning at 8am my alarm went off and we rolled out of bed (after 4 hours of sleep for me).

grumpy-monkey-with-coffee-mug.jpg

We had to be in Charlotte at 10 so we headed out. An uneventful drive later and we had a Honda lassoed and loaded on the dolly.

While we loaded it I noticed that both drivers side tires on the BlueOx were low. Rather than go to one of the gas station pay air pumps we drove over to Wendy's and while I attached the little compressor to the back tire, Steph went in to get some lunch.

About the time the back tire hit 40 PSI she came out. I switched to the front tire and then climbed in the truck out of the wind to eat.

We made one stop to get some gloves at Autozone and then headed home.

It was about Heaths nap time so he went down for a nap and we got back to work on Christine. In about 3 hours everything was back in place. It would have been faster but having to wear gloves make everything slower. Holding cold tools kills my hands – dang arthritis. However, there is a problem. The slave cylinder isn’t releasing all the way. My shoulder is killing me so it will wait till tomorrow.

• Craig., KennyP, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#1492 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 05:13 PM

Glad to hear Christine is nearly ready for work. Cool self portrait today!

• HDWildBill said thank you

#1493 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 06:20 PM

Glad to hear Christine is nearly ready for work. Cool self portrait today!

Steph shot that this summer while I was taking a coffee break.

• olcowhand, DougT, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#1494 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 04:14 PM

Steph shot that this summer while I was taking a coffee break.

Oh, I just figured that with all this cold weather, you had your fur coat on.

• KennyP said thank you

#1495 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 04:50 PM

Nice easy day.

I actually got 9 hours of sleep. I felt like a new person.

I did better than my winged buddys

batcoffeeoops.jpg

Steph was feeling kind of poorly so I handled Heath while she rested up.

When Heath went down for his nap I got dressed and started to head outside. To my suprise Steph came out dressed and ready to work. The nap did her good.

We put Christine up on the ramp and I crawled under and took a look at the clutch. When I took the slave cylinder off the clutch fork moved a good bit. The slave cyl appeared to be all the way in so I got my bore scope and checked inside the bell housing and it all looked good.

I opened the bleeder on the slave cyl a tiny bit and a ton of fluid came out. Since I did not open the hydraulics up when I did this clutch I can only surmise that the old clutch required a little more pushing than this new one. With that pressure off I put ti all back together and took Christine out in the street for some NHRA style burnouts. Clutch held like monkey with the last banana on earth.

With that done we cleaned everything up and then pulled the Honda we got yesterday out of the driveway so we could actually get in and out.

We hooked it to Christine, but the Honda pushed it sideways in the mud. Fortunately, Steph got it stopped before it completely jack knifed. A tow strap and the BlueOx and it came right around to the back yard, Christine and all.

Then we used the Hemorrhoid and the small trailer I was given to get some stuff moved out of the way.

littletrailer.jpg

We came in and I ordered a pizza. Steph ran to the store to get some stuff she wanted.

I guess I am loosing my mind. I was hungry to I went to the kitchen and got something to eat. As soon as I finished it there was a knock at the door. The pizza arrived. Duuuh. Oh well, there will be more leftovers.

• Craig., KennyP, sacsr and 3 others have said thanks

#1496 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 04:40 PM

On the road again.

This morning about 3 minutes before my alarm went off – my phone rang. It was a friend of mine that needed some car hauling done. A friend of his daughter's van down in Greenville, SC died. He had a van that he sold her. Since she could not come up to get it I was towing his van down and her van back up.

SO I got the important things out of the way first.

hardwrk.jpg

Then we ran over and snagged the Toyota at around 11am.

toyotadown.jpg

One stop to fill up the BlueOx and get some burgers from Krystals. Then we headed south.

Traffic was light and we made good time. I know the gal I was taking the van to. I haven't seen her in 15 years or more. My ex told me that she and her husband (whom I also know) got a divorce. I was surprised when he was the one that met me when I got there. He said the news of the divorce was news to him. Just one more lie I guess.

The Kia would not start. We tried but it wouldn't. So we dragged it out to the road with the Ox and got it strapped down.

kiaup.jpg

On the way home we stopped at a discount shoe store and got Heath some winter boots and a pair of tennis shoes since his feet wouldn't fit in his old ones without greasing them. He liked them. Fortunately we found the kind that light up when he walks. They make it so much easier to keep tabs on him in the dark.

On the way home we were coming down a narrow two lane road. There was a skid loader in the onccoming lane coming around a blind curveand out of habit and respect I slowed down and moved over as far as I could. When I did an idiot in a Dodge Neon came flying around the curve in my lane and barely had room to get over. I had nowhere to go and was preparing to beat him badly after the wreck.

Back home I did some tinkering and managed to get the Kia to start. It wasn't a pretty thing.

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#1497 chevyaddict83 OFFLINE  

chevyaddict83
  • Member No: 20714
  • 24 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 05:53 PM

Willie that Kia is mint! That noise is just a bad muffler bearing

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

• Craig., HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1498 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 06:14 PM

KIA is Korean for vehicle that is headed to the crusher.

• Craig., HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#1499 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 06:22 PM

My wife has a 2010 kia forte sx. It's actually a great car. Lots of power for what it is. She has put 80k on it and it has not given her a moments problem.

Edited by toomanytoys84, January 06, 2014 - 06:22 PM.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#1500 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 06:31 PM

The problem with a Kia is that when one thing goes wrong it is like going over Niagara in a barrel. No way back.

• Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks