Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Had Another Road-trip This Past Weekend...

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted December 03, 2012 - 08:18 PM

Congrats on your Latest Bolens Acquisition!
You are now an exclusive member of the Estate Keeper Club :thumbs:
I think you got it for a fair price as it looks like its in pretty decent shape. Since the tires are tubeless I think you could get away with putting tubes in them. The front are the original Firestone tires and are very thick and well built so dont let those cracks in the sides deter you from tubing them. They should last you another 6+ years
There is a free wheeling pin (similar to a tubeframe) that you can push in and turn to freewheel the tractor.
I'll send you links to the manuals.
Finding a seat will be no problem as they were the same as on the 1050's and similar. only black instead of red.

Can you read the Model and serial number on the ID plate?

The Pulley closest to the engine is the PTO and the Other pulleys are your High/Low speed ranges. Right now the Low range belts are installed (You have to swap belts to switch from high to low)

Another Plus is you have the original Air cleaner elbow which is often missing and hard to find as it is different than the ones used on the Tubeframes. The EK's did not use a cover over the air cleaner.

Your first Estate Keeper looks a heck of alot better than my first :D

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.JPG
  • ek 003.JPG

• MailmAn said thank you

#17 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted December 03, 2012 - 08:48 PM

Yeah, I know I could tube them, but there is like no tread left on any of the tires, especially the front ones. Not that I'm particularly fond of Firestone (had some bad experience with their shops in the past) but do they still sell the original tires they would have used on these or is that a lost cause as they don't make these tires anymore? I'm looking to buy whole new tires and rims for it just because that would be easier IMO and then I have nice new shiny wheels on it with good rubber! Should I just get turf saver type tires for it or what advantages or disadvantages would there be to putting on AG tires with the big "V" treads or the rib tires like what Old Buzzard just put on the front of his HDT1000? I'd think with the engine in the back over the rear tires that the EK's shouldn't have any traction issues and thus needing any severely treaded off-road tires or anything?

#18 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted December 03, 2012 - 09:29 PM

Those EK-10 look pretty neat! Nice find!
  • MailmAn said thank you

#19 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted December 03, 2012 - 10:22 PM

Finding a seat will be no problem as they were the same as on the 1050's and similar. only black instead of red.

Well, you could have fooled me since I can't even seem to find a decent seat for my 850! They seem to be hard to come by in any condition and I've seen just the seat pans with no padding or cover go for $40-$50 on eBay! If you can find me some good cheap seats, then more power to you! lol...

Can you read the Model and serial number on the ID plate?

I can try, if I knew where they are. Why does that matter anyways or you are just curious since you're a numbers guy?

The Other pulleys are your High/Low speed ranges. Right now the Low range belts are installed (You have to swap belts to switch from high to low)

Well that is a royal pain in the ass. At least on my 850 they were smart enough to have a handle to switch pulleys between Hi and Lo ranges. I was looking at the pulleys and I figured it might have been for Hi and Lo range, but then I wondered why would they have made it like that though so you have to shut the tractor off to swap it manually from Hi to Lo range? That seems more like a problem than a "feature". Of course I figure with how these things are used primarily, you don't often need to switch between power ranges as often as on a regular tractor? How slow is the Lo range anyways and is it basically worthless to have this in anything other than Hi range unless you are snow blowing with it or something? (Which I don't have a snow blower for it anyways, so that's not an issue...)

Edited by MailmAn, December 03, 2012 - 10:24 PM.

#20 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted December 04, 2012 - 08:35 AM

Well, you could have fooled me since I can't even seem to find a decent seat for my 850! They seem to be hard to come by in any condition and I've seen just the seat pans with no padding or cover go for $40-$50 on eBay! If you can find me some good cheap seats, then more power to you! lol...

The 850 Used a lower back seat compared to the 1050. The Low back seats are a bit harder to find.
I'll see if I can find one for you.

I can try, if I knew where they are. Why does that matter anyways or you are just curious since you're a numbers guy?

They are at the top of that Aluminum ID plate where the key switch mounts (Follow the plate back from the switch and you will find them stamped into the metal)
I'm just curious which model you have and what the serial Number is so I can compare it to mine.

Well that is a royal pain in the ass. At least on my 850 they were smart enough to have a handle to switch pulleys between Hi and Lo ranges. I was looking at the pulleys and I figured it might have been for Hi and Lo range, but then I wondered why would they have made it like that though so you have to shut the tractor off to swap it manually from Hi to Lo range? That seems more like a problem than a "feature". Of course I figure with how these things are used primarily, you don't often need to switch between power ranges as often as on a regular tractor? How slow is the Lo range anyways and is it basically worthless to have this in anything other than Hi range unless you are snow blowing with it or something? (Which I don't have a snow blower for it anyways, so that's not an issue...)

Low range is only used with the Snow-Caster. Anything else you will be better using high range. The speeds are basically the same as the tube frames.

I'll Look and see if I have any rims laying around.

As for tires, The Firestone's are NLA so you will probably have to just get some basic turf savers on them.
From the pics the front tires look decent still but thats just my opinion.

#21 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted December 04, 2012 - 08:40 AM

Here's a partslist:

http://gardentractor...-parts-catalog/
  • MailmAn said thank you

#22 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted December 04, 2012 - 10:03 AM

Are there supposed to be knobs on the choke and throttle controls as well that are missing on mine? How impossible are they to find? Also, in case it is missing (when I do finally go to look for it), can I just use anything as a generic throttle cable or should I get the specific cable made for the EK-10 if someone has a NOS one or a used one pulled from a machine? How hard is it to find parts for these? I know Bolens parts in general are tricky to find, but even as a whole the "normal" tractors (tube frames and large frames) are a lot more plentiful and easier to find parts for than the EK's. I'm sure some parts (like that ignition switch) are the same between all the tractors, but there is still a lot that is specific just to that EK that is not interchangeable.

Actually the blades on this seem to be in pretty decent shape too, unlike the ones that came with my 850 that were sharpened down to a point, lol. I could probably just sharpen them and use them for now. Still, are the 42" blades a lot easier to find than the 38" blades? I don't suppose they make any aftermarket mulching blades that could fit it, do they? (I mean, it still has the discharge chute so it won't mulch too much, but it still would help chew up the grass clippings a bit more.) I'm pretty sure at least that I wouldn't be able to use my Trac-Vac with the EK anyways, so if I could turn it into a mulcher somehow, that would be a good compromise with it.

#23 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted December 04, 2012 - 10:39 AM

Oh, and I just looked through the parts manual and of COURSE the Hi range belts are different than the Lo range and are much shorter (26" vs 31.5" long; matched pair), so I couldn't just swap the belts on it. Also, is there any way to leave the Lo range belts on there but just disengage them somehow from the clutch idler pulley so they don't engage with the Hi range belts? Then you wouldn't have to pull them all the way off and store them someplace where you won't lose them until you needed them... Just a thought.

Also, I just noticed, lol... IDK if the throttle cable broke at some point or what, but it looks like someone took the choke cable and ran that to the throttle and left the choke disconnected. So, my choke control runs the throttle and the throttle control is not attached to anything. LMFAO!!! Who the hell does that anyways? :loosing_it:

(BTW - on a total side note, what happened to all the smileys? It seems like a bunch of them got stripped out and I can't find ones I really want to use half the time...)

#24 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted December 04, 2012 - 03:07 PM

Are there supposed to be knobs on the choke and throttle controls as well that are missing on mine? How impossible are they to find? Also, in case it is missing (when I do finally go to look for it), can I just use anything as a generic throttle cable or should I get the specific cable made for the EK-10 if someone has a NOS one or a used one pulled from a machine? How hard is it to find parts for these? I know Bolens parts in general are tricky to find, but even as a whole the "normal" tractors (tube frames and large frames) are a lot more plentiful and easier to find parts for than the EK's. I'm sure some parts (like that ignition switch) are the same between all the tractors, but there is still a lot that is specific just to that EK that is not interchangeable.

I'm sure you could adapt some generic cables on but if my memory serves me correctly you can just replace the missing wire and conduit and leave the levers on there.
I'll try and get some pics of mine ASAP
Most of the common Parts that wear out are still out there for these so dont be worried about availability.

Actually the blades on this seem to be in pretty decent shape too, unlike the ones that came with my 850 that were sharpened down to a point, lol. I could probably just sharpen them and use them for now. Still, are the 42" blades a lot easier to find than the 38" blades? I don't suppose they make any aftermarket mulching blades that could fit it, do they? (I mean, it still has the discharge chute so it won't mulch too much, but it still would help chew up the grass clippings a bit more.) I'm pretty sure at least that I wouldn't be able to use my Trac-Vac with the EK anyways, so if I could turn it into a mulcher somehow, that would be a good compromise with it.

You can still find Replacement blades for the 38'' and 42'' Decks but as the stock supply people have dwindles the prices keep going up on them.

#25 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted December 04, 2012 - 03:17 PM

Oh, and I just looked through the parts manual and of COURSE the Hi range belts are different than the Lo range and are much shorter (26" vs 31.5" long; matched pair), so I couldn't just swap the belts on it. Also, is there any way to leave the Lo range belts on there but just disengage them somehow from the clutch idler pulley so they don't engage with the Hi range belts? Then you wouldn't have to pull them all the way off and store them someplace where you won't lose them until you needed them... Just a thought.

You cant keep both sets on at the same time.... Normally I just keep the low range set in the handy tool box under the seat :D
The only time I've had to use low range is while snow casting in heavy snow.

Also, I just noticed, lol... IDK if the throttle cable broke at some point or what, but it looks like someone took the choke cable and ran that to the throttle and left the choke disconnected. So, my choke control runs the throttle and the throttle control is not attached to anything. LMFAO!!! Who the hell does that anyways? :loosing_it:

People do alot of strange things to equipment. I've have seen quite a few "quick fixes" on Bolens so I'm not surprised that someone hacked up the cables :wallbanging: :(

(BTW - on a total side note, what happened to all the smileys? It seems like a bunch of them got stripped out and I can't find ones I really want to use half the time...)

They seem to be all there to me???......
  • MailmAn said thank you