Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Had Another Road-trip This Past Weekend...

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted December 03, 2012 - 11:41 AM

...and guess what the Mailman delivered this time? lol...

Yes, I went on another extended road-trip this past weekend (December 1-2) with my trailer. It actually started out having nothing to do with picking up anything for myself as I was transporting something for someone else. I got a call off of a Craigslist ad I had from someone out in Buffalo, NY who wanted a car he just bought hauled from Clifton Park out to Buffalo on Saturday. So, I did that and ended up staying over in Buffalo just because it took a lot longer that I thought. But then I ended up making a detour on my way back Sunday to pick up some other things that I "probably shouldn't have", but I figured what the heck I was already out here and I had some cash on me from hauling the car out to Buffalo. It was late and dark when I rolled into Albany last night though, so I don't have any pictures yet of what I bought, but it will be forthcoming soon enough, I hope... (Probably not soon enough for some of you though, lol...)

In the meantime, you'll just have to let your imaginations run wild...

#2 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted December 03, 2012 - 12:35 PM

Ok, I'll just be wondering................................................................. Till the photos are posted.

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 03, 2012 - 01:01 PM

Ok, I'll just be wondering................................................................. Till the photos are posted.

:ditto: that.

#4 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted December 03, 2012 - 03:11 PM

It must been a pink bolens with a purple deck LOL

#5 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,682 Thanks
  • 8,882 posts

Posted December 03, 2012 - 03:49 PM

Okay, it's been 4 hours now.................... :wewantpics:

We need a pitchfork and torches smilie!

#6 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted December 03, 2012 - 04:00 PM

Geez, what an impatient bunch you are...

All shall be revealed soon once my pictures are done uploading...

#7 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted December 03, 2012 - 04:49 PM

Geez, what an impatient bunch you are...

Yep, they are that. Danged varmits are always on my case about pics too :rolling:
  • MailmAn said thank you

#8 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted December 03, 2012 - 05:14 PM

Okay, so like I said this all started with someone calling me about having a car hauled from Clifton Park, NY to Buffalo, NY this past Saturday. I probably should have charged more, but he was a hungry college student who just bought his first car (that needed a bit of work done to it, despite its outward appearance, which looked pretty good in my estimation...) and he really couldn't afford to pay me too much, especially as he just laid out a bunch of money on buying the car as well. Still, we agreed on $350 to move the car across the state. Then, half-way there he asked if I wanted to make a "quick" extra $50 for helping him move his bed, couch, and a couple of tables with my trailer as well. Of course, I said yes as I needed the money, lol... So, here is a quick shot I took of my truck hauling this car at a rest stop in Waterloo, NY while I was getting gas:

Posted Image

So anyways, I dropped the car off for him and he paid me right away (which was good) and then we went over to his old "apartment" (which was more like a dungeon) around the corner to assess the moving situation. Long story short, about 2 hours later we had his stuff moved out of the old place and onto the trailer at least. (It was very tight with narrow, spiral staircases up to the 3rd floor where his queen sized bed was. Needless to say, it was a pain in the ass and not worth $50 to move...) But still, I made $400 all told for this excursion, which wasn't TOO bad I guess... But it could have been better.

I know, I know, all of this has NOTHING at all to do with tractors even, let alone Bolens'. Well, here is where that comes in. Brian (Doc Bolens) sent me a Craigslist post about an Estate Keeper out in Rochester (I think?) for a really good price, but by the time I had seen it, E-mailed the guy, and he got back to me, it was already sold! (In the course of about 2 days or less). Oh well, ya snooze, ya lose, I guess... But, Brian had made some good points about the Estate Keepers and I figured it might be a good machine to mow lawns with, so I did a quick Google search for EK's and came up with another posting out in Illinois for TWO EK's for pretty cheap. However, one was strictly for parts (it had no engine or mower deck) and the other one was broken and in need of repair (the steering link was broken). There was only one 32" deck between them and it is a long treck out to Illinois to get them. Still, I PM'ed Doc Bolens about them to see if he thought it was worth it. He told me they were the older 1960's model EK-7's, which were white instead of yellow, and they only have a 7HP engine in them and aren't as good as the EK-10's. So, I decided to pass on them.

Well, a little bit of digging later, I found another Craigslist post for an EK-10 that was in Erie, PA, which was only about 2 hours from Buffalo, which was where I was bringing the Audi anyways. It was in pretty poor condition though and needed a lot of work and they guy was asking way too much for it. The original Craigslist post I saw for it had the price at $575. However, when I checked again on my cell phone when I was out in Buffalo on Saturday, I saw he had already dropped the price to $375 or best offer. So, I called him up to ask him some more about it. He said he bought it from some older guy up the road in an Estate Sale and the tractor had been sitting for 5 years and needed some work to get running again. He said the carb probably needed cleaning and the previous owner had left the key on for a while without the engine running, so he burned the points on it so it needs new points before it will run. It was also missing the seat as the old seat was really badly beaten up and rusted, so he threw it away. With all the work it seemed like it needed, I was hoping to get the price down a lot more on it though. I was shooting for around $100-$150, but the guy said he already paid too much for it ($300) from the Estate Sale and didn't want to lose money on it. But, he did say it was taking up space in his garage now and he couldn't get his car in for the winter, so he really wanted it gone. He collects Cub Cadets anyways and already has about 8 tractors in his garage anyways, so he has no need for a Bolens really. (Which seems odd that he would have even bought it in the first place then...) He said the absolute lowest he could go was $200 on it, so I said alright and I headed on my way down to go scoop it up. Four hours later (between talking about tractors and politics and trying to load a tractor with 3 flat tires onto my trailer), it was on my trailer and on its way to its new home.

So, without further ado, here are the much anticipated photos that you're all so anxious to see:

First, a little artistic shot of it:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Crack in the cast-aluminum engine cover. The rear mounts where the cover pivots to open are also cracked in half so the cover won't stay on.

Posted Image

The choke cable works and is hooked up, but I found the throttle cable is broken or just not hooked up to anything.

The ignition is also frozen solid with rust and will need to be replaced.

Posted Image

The starter isn't installed properly and is just kinda hanging there loosely. The air cleaner is also wrong and missing the cover.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Probably needs a new battery as this one is shot. It had 5.4 Volts when I tested it, lol! IDK if it will end up holding a charge or not after sitting for years...

Posted Image

The belts all seem to be there, but could stand to be replaced probably. (Although I'm not sure why there seem to be so many more pulleys than there are belts?)

Posted Image

Posted Image

So, how in the heck do you even get in there to replace the points anyways? It looks like the points cover hits the transaxle housing, preventing you from removing it...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Needs new tires and probably rims too as they seem kinda bent up and the beads probably aren't sealing on the rim. They look like golf car tires though...

Posted Image

How does the deck even come off of this anyways with it pivoting on the front wheel axles like this?

Are the front wheels even bolted on at all or are they held on with that cotter pin behind the deck mount?

Posted Image

Maybe some of the cable routing is messed up down here as well? It doesn't look right to me for some reason...

Posted Image

So, yes it will need a LOT of work and some new parts to get running again, but it looks like a fairly solid foundation at least upon which to build a nice little Estate Keeper! So, what are your guy's thoughts on this and did I overspend on this in the condition it is in? (I already feel like I paid about $100 too much for it, but it was also $375 cheaper that what the guy originally wanted for it too.) Also, Brian, I'm going to need to pick your brain on this and could really use a lot of your help in finding parts for this and it getting it back going again. You're probably one of the most experienced on this board when it comes to these Estate Keepers as you have multiples of them and have rebuilt them from the ground up.

So, looks like I got another project for the winter/spring to work on now! (Of course, I'm technically not even finished with my 850 yet, but hey, when opportunity knocks...)

Edited by MailmAn, December 03, 2012 - 05:25 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#9 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted December 03, 2012 - 05:39 PM

Cool EK! Best of luck with it. and thanks for the story.

#10 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted December 03, 2012 - 07:06 PM

I've seen worse ones rebuilt. That looks like it has plenty of potential.

Some day I might even start looking for one of those EKs. My step-dad had one, and it was a LOT of fun to mow with it.
  • MailmAn said thank you

#11 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,682 Thanks
  • 8,882 posts

Posted December 03, 2012 - 07:20 PM

Boy, when you promise pics later, you really come through!

I'm from a GT high $$$$$$$$$$ area, the only only Bolens you're going to find under $300 around here is one with a handlebar. I don't think you overpaid.

Neat little mowers, they are. Good luck with it.

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 03, 2012 - 07:32 PM

You should write for a living. Very fun story and nice catch on the EK.
  • MailmAn said thank you

#13 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted December 03, 2012 - 07:32 PM

Hey, does anyone know what diamater the center mounting hole is on the front tires for this Estate Keeper? I'm looking for new tires and wheels on eBay now and all the "tractor rims" with just the center hole (not the 4-lug like the rears) seem to have a very small diameter center hole. Will they fit the EK-10 though or does it have a special larger center hole than most smaller riding mowers? Just so you know, most of the rims I have seen so far on eBay claim to have 3/4" ID center holes with a grease fitting on the inside. Not sure if that should work or not. In the pics I have seen, the hole looks much smaller than the one on the EK-10 I just bought. However, I haven't measured it or anything...

Edited by MailmAn, December 03, 2012 - 07:34 PM.

#14 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted December 03, 2012 - 07:39 PM

Probably be easier to rebuild the EK than that Audi, so you got the better deal. Nice find, even if you did pay more than you had hoped.

Although the C5 series Audi A6's are great cars, any modern Audi is an EXPENSIVE proposition to fix, no matter what is wrong with it. A new turn signal flasher unit (a common failure as the car ages) from the dealer is $80-85 from the dealer, and they are a PITA to replace.If the PO of that Audi was driving it, and the timing belt let go, it has a grenaded engine. I have a '99 A6 that looks great, but it would cost about $2500 to have someone fix the oil leaks at the back of the cams, and then I would have a $2500 car.

#15 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted December 03, 2012 - 07:58 PM

If the PO of that Audi was driving it, and the timing belt let go, it has a grenaded engine. I have a '99 A6 that looks great, but it would cost about $2500 to have someone fix the oil leaks at the back of the cams, and then I would have a $2500 car.

You do make a good point and as much as I like Audi's myself, I would have stayed the hell away from that car myself too, lol! Supposedly from what the previous owner said, it has a 3 cylinder misfire due to an ignition control module problem or something and it does leak oil quite profusely from the cam cover. (I ran the car for like 5 minutes to load it on the trailer and it left a big puddle on the deck of the trailer...) It also had a nasty whine while the engine was running that sounded like the power steering pump was shot as well. I think he got a pretty decent deal on the car (under $800), but you're right, it will cost thousands to fix everything that is wrong with it to make it into a decent, reliable car.

I just hope the EK won't take QUITE as much money to get running in tip-top shape as that!