6 replies to this topic

#1 1967bolens collector ONLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 649 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted December 02, 2012 - 09:50 PM

anyone know how much one weighs with 26-12.00x12 and a 3pt. i found one and want it bad but its a 2500 each way trip... why are they so hard cold starting is there anyway to fix that. any help would be great thanks, sam

#2 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted December 03, 2012 - 06:13 AM

It should be close to the same as the HT23. It's shipping weight is listed as 1,100 lbs.

By the time you add oil, trans fluid, fuel, and the 3-pt you are probably in the 1,200 Lb range.

If the rear tires are filled with Rim Guard or CaCl, that would be another 220 lbs to add. If filled with windshield washer fluid it would be 160 lbs total.

The diesel MAY be a bit heavier than the Kohler twin, so if you figure it at 1,500 lbs you should be safe. I doubt that it would weigh more than that.

I've towed mine with a F150 and had no problem towing it. As long as you have a trailer with at least a 1,500 lb payload capacity you should be good to go.

As for the hard starting, I haven't found that to be a problem, but I do have a 'cold start' system.

bhts has one, and since he started using the compression release when starting, his has been starting in cold weather for him as well.

It probably wouldn't hurt to use an anti-gell addative which also raises the cetain number. Raising the cetain number will help with starting in cold weather as well.

Edited by OldBuzzard, December 03, 2012 - 06:19 AM.

#3 LPBolens ONLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted December 03, 2012 - 03:34 PM

My HT20D has a Calrod-type heater coil inserted into the air chamber around the heads. It runs on 110V. This is not a glow plug, but kind of works like the element on an electric stove. It appears to be either a factory option, or it was dealer-installed. I have seen this set-up on more than one HT20D, which leads me to believe that it was not a homemade installation.

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,756 Thanks
  • 8,924 posts

Posted December 03, 2012 - 03:46 PM

Intake heaters are becoming more popular again in the construction industry. Disasterous when ether is introduced when someone doesn't know better. Big flame-out.

Sam, you could just leave it run when you start hitting colder air on the way back. They hardly burn any fuel at idle. :D

#5 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted December 03, 2012 - 04:45 PM

As hard as parts for the Wisconsin/Ducati engine are to come by, I wouldn't use ether with one on a bet.

The Attachment Guide shows that there was a "Cold Start Kit" for the HT20D, but I have no clue as to what it was.

Here's what my 'cold start' option looks like. I don't think that it's the actual Bolens one, but something that a PO installed.

100_4369_Arrows.jpg

I'm guessing that those are a pair of glow plugs. All I know is that if I hold the switch on the dash for 10 secs or so, my 20D will fire up at 28* with no problem.

Edited by OldBuzzard, December 03, 2012 - 04:46 PM.

• 1967bolens collector said thank you

#6 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted December 04, 2012 - 02:43 PM

My HT20D has a Calrod-type heater coil inserted into the air chamber around the heads. It runs on 110V. This is not a glow plug, but kind of works like the element on an electric stove. It appears to be either a factory option, or it was dealer-installed. I have seen this set-up on more than one HT20D, which leads me to believe that it was not a homemade installation.

That's how mine is set up Doug, and it still works. When I bought mine it even had the cord to plug it into 120 volt. I had no idea what it was at first when I found it in a 5 gallon bucket with the tire chains.

Edited by NJKen, December 04, 2012 - 02:49 PM.

#7 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,415 Thanks
  • 2,118 posts

Posted December 04, 2012 - 03:20 PM

Thats what i have on mine also just missing the cord for it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bolens ht20d