UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted December 02, 2012 - 06:47 PM

Last week I was finishing up a Chevy Suburban engine swap for a friend. I needed to change the plug for the idle air control so I was opening up the wiring harness with my newly sharpened Spiderco knife. Just as I finished the cut I had a muscle spasm in my right elbow ( nerve surgery that was done wrong) and I stabbed my left hand between the thumb and index finger. Blade went in about 1/2 inch and the cut is about the same wide. Bled all over the engine. Grabbed a piece of a rag and some electrical tape and sealed it off and finished the repair. Then that evening I went to the ER for stitches. I am not sure why but the ER was packed on a Wednesday night. One guy was sitting there with a gash from his eye to his ear and had been there for 2 hours. I decided it wasn't that bad of a cut and went home.

The hole closed up nicely and wasn't bleeding at all. I worked all day today taking some machines apart with no problems at all. Came in, took a shower and then dried off. When I dried my hand - you guessed it. I pulled it back open. SO I got a tube of superglue and closed it up and re-bandaged it. I have a long week an no time for doctors appts so hopefully it holds. IF not my week will just get longer.

Moral to the story - don't stab yourself it hurts.
  • IamSherwood, Team_Green and oldedeeres have said thanks

#2 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted December 02, 2012 - 06:57 PM

I did something similar a few years ago. I just packed it full of Neosporine wrapped a bandage around it fairly tight, changed the bandage about every other day and it healed just fine. It was a bit numb for a few months but that healed as well.

#3 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted December 02, 2012 - 07:06 PM

Seem like we are all RAMBO at times. My family has a long history of sewing our own stitches, on stock, pets or ourselves . Good luck with your wound. Shawn

Edited by tractorgarden, December 02, 2012 - 07:08 PM.

#4 ckjakline ONLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,093 posts

Posted December 02, 2012 - 07:17 PM

I also use super glue.That stuff is awesome.Hope it heels up o.k.One thing i noticed is when i have a bad cut thats always what i hit and nock back open.

#5 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,694 Thanks
  • 8,888 posts

Posted December 02, 2012 - 07:25 PM

I checked on that medical version of superglue. There is nothing special about it. Just use crazy glue and you're good to go. Any chunks of metal or crud in there will push to the top in a month or two.

#6 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted December 02, 2012 - 07:28 PM

I use superglue all the time on cuts. It works great. I keep a tube in my first aid kit.

#7 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted December 02, 2012 - 07:44 PM

OUCH! My dad caught his finger between two many hundred pound slabs of granite the other day and split his finger wide open.....had to push meat back inside it was that bad. He figured he's get MRSA or something nasty like that if he went to the ER so he just used steri strips and soaked it in Pure Gum Turpentine.....Yes you heard me right, he's used the stuff for years and he swears by it. He soaks it in a small bottle several times a day for a few minutes at a time and his cuts ALWAYS heal super fast and with no infection.

I cut my thumb today on a cotter pin and I've got my finger soaking now.

2012-12-02 19.38.11.jpg

Best to you on your recovery.

#8 TerryD OFFLINE  

TerryD

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5916
  • 132 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted December 02, 2012 - 08:05 PM

Yep. Turpentine works great. I've used it for years.

#9 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted December 02, 2012 - 08:11 PM

Don't have any turpentine. I will apply alcohol internally and see if that helps.
  • daytime dave, MH81, IamSherwood and 4 others have said thanks

#10 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,597 Thanks
  • 7,654 posts

Posted December 02, 2012 - 08:15 PM

..... I was opening up the wiring harness with my newly sharpened Spiderco knife. Just as I finished the cut I had a muscle spasm in my right elbow ( nerve surgery that was done wrong) and I stabbed my left hand between the thumb and index finger.

Remind me not to sit next to you when your eating!

My cuts tend to fester when I'm working around dirty greasy stuff. I really like that drawing salve. The black stuff that smells like asphalt.

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,243 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted December 02, 2012 - 08:59 PM

I tend to self repair myself. If it's deep and painful, I use some Balm of Gilead Salve on it. The recipe we have (gotta look for that) doesn't use wax, it uses sheep lard (I think it was sheep, been years now) Heals up fine.

#12 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted December 02, 2012 - 09:17 PM

pain chart.png

Sorry to hear about your injury. Hope you feel better :smilewink: .

#13 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted December 02, 2012 - 10:32 PM

I will apply alcohol internally and see if that helps.

That usually heals all. lol :thumbs:
  • marlboro180 said thank you

#14 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted December 02, 2012 - 10:39 PM

Hope the superglue holds for you Wagon. Blue RTV on top helps BTW .... :rolling: ( yes, done that, works for days....)
In all seriousness, the Curad Second skin spray on stuff sorks great over a self - repair on flesh wounds. Kinda like flexible varnish/ topcoat bandaid thing, works great and helps keep the wound moist while it heals up. Stings like heck on a deep one though, just a warning. :thumbs:

#15 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted December 03, 2012 - 01:46 AM

Another vote here for CA glue! "ER? I don't need no stinkin' ER!" Afterall, the stuff was invented for Viet Nam field medical repairs and it comes in so many viscosities and set-up speeds (check with your local model building shop). DO NOT use HOT SHOT CA curing speeder on medical emergencies, it makes intense heat!

But, for disasters far afield I always opt for genuine duct tape pressure bandages. A simple wrap with any ol' rag you have handy all the way around the skin to keep it from sticking (OR if that rag is just a bit too biologically nasty, one wrap of tape shiny side in) and a few turns of the gray shiny miracle adhesive fabric and you're good to go. Veins? Small arteries? Same thing but with more tension on the wrap. Be sure to redress now and then before gangrene begins (keep sniffing the dressing)!
  • IamSherwood said thank you