#16 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,735 Thanks
  • 8,912 posts

Posted December 03, 2012 - 01:49 PM

How about this for outriggers: if i put two hinged legs under the front axle just inside of the tires then i could use the boom to lift the tractor up and fold the legs down and out, they would set at an outward angle so the pads would be under the wheels and lift the tractor up by maybe an inch or two.

I see no reason why something like that would not work.

#17 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 03, 2012 - 03:20 PM

This will be a good project to follow!

I agree, I do not see why your outrigger idea would not work. I believe that is how the tow-behind backhoes work.

#18 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,706 Thanks
  • 8,562 posts

Posted December 03, 2012 - 06:38 PM

This should be an interesting project. Looking forward to see how it develops.

#19 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,307 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted December 04, 2012 - 09:03 AM

I don't like to be the pessimist, but you'll still have the downward forces from digging on the front axle/spindles which may or may not like it. Also when you swing to the side you'll be dependent on the rear tires/axle for stability due to the oscillator in the front axle.
JMHO,
Mike
  • Wray II said thank you

#20 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10613
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted December 04, 2012 - 09:01 PM

I don't like to be the pessimist, but you'll still have the downward forces from digging on the front axle/spindles which may or may not like it. Also when you swing to the side you'll be dependent on the rear tires/axle for stability due to the oscillator in the front axle.
JMHO,
Mike

Are you saying there needs to be out-riggers on the back too? Or are you concerned that the front will lift on the downward force as you mentioned? I'm not entirely following you. Your opinion is welcome don't worry. I need more then just my mind thinking on it, I tend to be bias of my own ideas. You know how that goes. I do have a plan on putting outriggers on the from under the tires so the oscillating tires would be lifted off the ground. One thought I had about the fron tires are they seem like they might be narrow and get stuck easy in the soft ground. an earlier thought was to have the front and rear tires the same size which would be the back tires. I also considered only using one hydraulic motor to drive and create a steering assembly. It would be less hydraulics but more fabricating.

#21 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,307 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted December 05, 2012 - 08:15 AM

What I'm trying to say is when you're digging and pull up on the bucket it will put a downward force on the front axle. If the outriggers lift the front tires off the ground then that force will be kept off the spindles, However that force will still be on the axle from the outriggers to the oscillator pin. I just don't know if the axle you use will be able to take that over time.
When you swing to either side it will cause the machine to want to tip sideways thru the travel of the oscillator on the front axle until the oscillator hits the stops. It probably won't be enough to tip it over, just enough to raise the "pucker factor" some.
I hope I've made these two points clear.
Mike

#22 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted December 05, 2012 - 10:07 AM

So Gfann would your outriggers be attached and bracing to the frame or the front axle?

#23 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10613
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted December 05, 2012 - 11:17 AM

I see the concern. Yes I was thinking of putting them on the front axle. The main frame of the tractor I was thinking about reinforcing with 1/2 inch steel. The front axle I was thinking would be made of square steel as well as the back axle. I wasn't going to weld the main frame, that I would have done. But the less structurally critical parts I can do. But at this point everything is preliminary and all input is very appreciated. The concern of the front axle is very helpful. I do have other designs, I think I'll work more on the front axle though.

#24 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted December 05, 2012 - 01:34 PM

Try looking at some of the small tow behind designs, I think Cadplans has some available. I'd recommend that you plan for your outriggers to be integrated into the base of your backhoe, not rigged from the front axle. Or examine a full size backhoe, again, the outriggers are part of the base, not somehow integrated into the axle.

#25 jbumgarner OFFLINE  

jbumgarner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10248
  • 72 Thanks
  • 109 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 10:35 AM

Take a look at either Ditch Witch or Vermeer brand trenchers.  All Trenchers are basic tractors and can be mounted with a front mount backhoe and rear attachments.  I worked for DW for 5 years.  They are small but still much larger than any GT, but you can find them on most rental yards and you may be able to get some good ideas from their design.  May be worth a look. 

1627976-1-L.jpg?FULL=T&h=420&w=615

Edited by jbumgarner, July 19, 2013 - 10:35 AM.

• MH81 and Cvans have said thanks

#26 1964Deere OFFLINE  

1964Deere

• Member No: 1547
  • 248 Thanks
  • 289 posts

Posted March 03, 2016 - 11:43 PM

Did anything ever come of this?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: back hoe, homemade