25 replies to this topic

#1 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10613
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted December 02, 2012 - 01:46 PM

I've been floating this idea around in my head for a few months now and with what I have comprised I did a drawing of it and was curious if anyone had some constructive input on it, as to the design.
It is based on a cub cadet 100 mainly because that is what I'm pretty families with. I moves the engine to the back which will run the hydraulic pump. At this time I am not sure of the exact measurements. I pretty much based on the idea of a zero turn mower. Most back hoe I see the hoe is in the back and and you must leave the tractor stationary but i wanted to be able to drive it and operate the the hoe from the same position and still have mobility to move around in small places. The one question I did have for you guys is what size engine should be used, would the kohler 10 Hp from the Cub Cadet 100 be adequate? Each back wheel will have it's own hydraulic drive motor the controls will be on the dash along with the boom controls. I'm planning on using joystick valve controls for the boom.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• Mechanic45 said thank you

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,449 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted December 02, 2012 - 02:22 PM

At work we have this style towable back-hoe called Dig-It and it works very well for a small unit . I found this , might give you some ideas , Al

• Bruce Dorsi, sacsr and Utah Smitty have said thanks

#3 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted December 02, 2012 - 02:39 PM

Looks workable, but what about outriggers? Digging willl really test your front axle. Looks like the seat will be too far back and low for digging visibility.
JMHO,
Mike
  • Gfann said thank you

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,608 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted December 02, 2012 - 02:47 PM

Looks workable, but what about outriggers? Digging willl really test your front axle. Looks like the seat will be too far back and low for digging visibility.
JMHO,
Mike

Watch the video, it does have outriggers.
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#5 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted December 02, 2012 - 03:03 PM

New Holland made a back-hoe attachment for their skid-steer loaders years ago. It attched to the boom after removing the bucket.
Back Hoe Attachment.JPG

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 02, 2012 - 03:31 PM

I think a front mounted backhoe is a good thing.
  • Gfann said thank you

#7 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,700 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted December 02, 2012 - 05:24 PM

Watch the video, it does have outriggers.

I think Ol'Stonebreaker is talking about GFann's drawing it doesn't show any out riggers. I was wondering the same thing my self.

How do you plan on stabilizing the platform to dig?

#8 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted December 02, 2012 - 05:31 PM

I think Ol'Stonebreaker is talking about GFann's drawing it doesn't show any out riggers. I was wondering the same thing my self.

Yeah, that's what I was referring to.
Mike

#9 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted December 02, 2012 - 05:44 PM

Well I was hoping to plan around the absence of outriggers. If the front axle is strong enough wouldn't that be adequate? Or would the tractor shift around without outriggers? I was thinking it might with it setting on wheels. But I had a plan for out riggers. I was also thinking about turning the tractor design around so the drive wheels would be in front but if I put out riggers on the front and the front would lift onto the back wheels which would spin not sure that would work. I fingered if I needed outrigger it would be best to lift the free spinning wheels off the ground. I also could move the controls and seat forward and shift the reservoir behind the seat. I'll work up a drawing.

#10 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,705 Thanks
  • 8,895 posts

Posted December 02, 2012 - 06:22 PM

Like others have brought up, visibility when digging and the outriggers.

The axle design you drew up might be adequate to keep the machine from tipping when dumping a bucket of soil off to the side, if you don't go too far. But you will have major issues keeping the tractor to stay put when digging. The bucket will drag the whole machine forward like it's on ice, I'm afraid.

Depending on your hydraulic set up, you might consider outriggers built into the front axle, towards the outside edge, but inside of the spin radius of the tires.

I am not an expert by any means or stretch of the imagination. Use of ztr type drive motors would be neat and feasible, I think. But moving them to the front end would not help with stabilizing the machine to dig without extra external brakes on them, and even then it will not enough to stop the sliding, probably.

Not sure how important the aesthetics are to you, but if can rake the hood down to the front axle, you could keep the seat towards the rear. It would just take some getting used to, sitting that far back from the boom.

Were you thinking of engine in the rear, with the pump and the reservoir under the hood? If you had the engine in the rear, the pump between the frame rails below the dash tower, you could have a reservoir tank under the seat.....it would gain you a bit of height for the seat and keep more counterweight back there.

Food for thought. Very interesting design, I like it.
  • KennyP, twostep and Gfann have said thanks

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted December 02, 2012 - 06:25 PM

Out riggers would be a must. There is no way you could hold it in place without them. Plus they stabilize it when dumping the bucket.

#12 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,449 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted December 02, 2012 - 06:35 PM

Stumbled on this one which almost looks like the one you drew up
https://www.youtube....h?v=M93-DX1j8AQ
  • MH81, Bruce Dorsi and Cvans have said thanks

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,608 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted December 02, 2012 - 07:30 PM

How do you plan on stabilizing the platform to dig?

Yeah, that's what I was referring to.
Mike

Oh, sorry bout that. After re-reading your post, I can see what you were referring to.

#14 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted December 02, 2012 - 11:51 PM

No problem, OCH. You didn't hurt my feelbads,LOL!!

#15 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted December 03, 2012 - 01:06 PM

Here are a couple updated images. How about this for outriggers: if i put two hinged legs under the front axle just inside of the tires then i could use the boom to lift the tractor up and fold the legs down and out, they would set at an outward angle so the pads would be under the wheels and lift the tractor up by maybe an inch or two. I also attached the original image I used to scale off of to give you a better idea of size and scale. The issue of the seat should be easy to fix, but lifting it up a bit. But i do like the idea of putting the hydraulic fluid under it.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

Edited by Gfann, December 03, 2012 - 01:14 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: back hoe, homemade