• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bob 537 OFFLINE  

Bob 537
  • Member No: 10133
  • 68 Thanks
  • 127 posts

Posted December 01, 2012 - 07:53 PM

whats the recommended battery for these tractors im thinking i need alot of cca because my tractor does not like to start when its below 60*

#2 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted December 01, 2012 - 08:48 PM

I've always used the Lawn & Garden battery that they sell at Napa, Have never had a problem. Even when I had my JD210 and everyone told me just go buy a battery at the JD dealer. Still bought a napa battery and never had an issue.....by the way, gets REAL cold here in WNY
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#3 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted December 01, 2012 - 09:13 PM

I always try to use the biggest battery that I can fit in the space. A small automotive battery will serve you very well.
  • A.C.T. said thank you

#4 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted December 02, 2012 - 01:21 AM

I always try to use the biggest battery that I can fit in the space. A small automotive battery will serve you very well.

It also gets cold here too. I have used car batteries in some of the John Deere's. Replacing my Case 448 battery right now. The space is small so could not use a car one. I purchased a 450 CA at TSC replacing a 280. Will let you know.

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 02, 2012 - 05:19 AM

Yeah,that's the same thing I do as well.

#6 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • Member No: 11338
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted December 05, 2012 - 08:29 AM

I have a 325 CCA lawn tractor battery from Wal Mart in mine that I paid around $30 for. When I had the switch and wiring problems I used it a lot. Now with the tractor running I have used is regularly and have not had any problems. The battery turns the tractor over well .... so why invest more?
  • David Brown said thank you

#7 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 05, 2012 - 07:08 PM

In the '71 I have a 730 CCA car battery, I think the '75 has a 550 CCA car battery? Not sure, it is what I had extra. They work great and turn it over without a problem, but if I were to buy a battery for it I would not buy one that large.

#8 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted December 05, 2012 - 07:25 PM

I have a 325 CCA lawn tractor battery from Wal Mart in mine that I paid around $30 for. When I had the switch and wiring problems I used it a lot. Now with the tractor running I have used is regularly and have not had any problems. The battery turns the tractor over well .... so why invest more?

How long have you had that battery installed? I found that the bigger car batteries not only give me better starts in the winter, but they last longer too. I had one in the tractor for over 10 years before I replaced it. I just junked a lawn mower battery that I bought last year for my Wheelhorse. I guess you can get a bad battery in any of them though.

#9 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted December 05, 2012 - 09:45 PM

If batt mounts on the tin aside of seat, I like to use small car battery with side terms. that keeps the terms away from seat if you are big guy and push it down aways! Also keeps the cables straight down and not sticking out to catch things. I have used the holes in metal there and put in theaded rod and aftermarket or home made holders for batt top. Have used the plastic batt kits with bottom plate to bolt to metal, then the plastic top and hold-down rods mount to it, not the metal. I once even used short bolts and those fat cushion things that hold battery at bottom lip, like GM had for years. Once had a loader on older tractor, with no tin (Avatar) that had biggest cranking range GT batt setting right up front along side of engine. Short cables needed then. I used the loader mounting area to mount my "box" frame on.