• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 icpik OFFLINE  

icpik

• Member No: 8205
  • 21 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted November 29, 2012 - 07:34 PM

I have a 1979 2414 with a Kohler engine and looking to change the points. Is there an easy way to adjust the points without removing the entire hood? The sight hole for timing appears to be behind the lower right hood panel.

Any recommendations on the Point Saver or Point Slayer from Kirk engines?

Don Hayes
Virginia

#2 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted November 29, 2012 - 07:44 PM

I've heard very good things about the points saver system but I have not used one. You don't really need the sight hole to time the engine. Just roll the flywheel until the points open up and set the gap to .020. I agree that it can be timed better by using the sight hole but it's not necessary. Don't forget to disconnect the battery when you do this!

#3 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted November 29, 2012 - 07:45 PM

The points should be under a little rectangular cover on the right side of the tractor. To remove the cover it is only two screws and nothing has to be removed to get to it. But, by '79 I don't think they used breaker points anymore. Are you sure you are talking about the points and not something else? Go take a look at your tractor, on the side of the engine block there will be one cover with a rounded face, and a points cover right next to it, assuming you have it on your engine.
  • David Brown said thank you

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 29, 2012 - 07:50 PM

With new points and push rod setting the gap should get you very close to correct timing. Close enough for it to run much better than with a bad set of points. When I replaced points and push rod in a K321 last year setting the gap resulted in pretty much perfect timing when looking at the flywheel marks

#5 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted November 29, 2012 - 07:51 PM

The points should be under a little rectangular cover on the right side of the tractor. To remove the cover it is only two screws and nothing has to be removed to get to it. But, by '79 I don't think they used breaker points anymore. Are you sure you are talking about the points and not something else? Go take a look at your tractor, on the side of the engine block there will be one cover with a rounded face, and a points cover right next to it, assuming you have it on your engine.

I have points on both my 83 and 81. Some of the earlier tractors didn't have points. It just depends on what they had at the factory that day. I just assumed Don had points since he knew he wanted to change them. I probably shouldn't assume. You know what they say.

#6 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted November 30, 2012 - 08:53 AM

points didnt go out of style until the late 80s. just set ur point gap to .20 and u are ready to go. if u dont have gauge then fold a buiness card in half and use that. a buisness card unfolded is about .10 thick

#7 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 30, 2012 - 09:03 AM

if u dont have gauge then fold a buiness card in half and use that. a buisness card unfolded is about .10 thick

.... and that just happens to be the air gap for the mag on a briggs, if there is anyone out there who has not picked up on that trick

#8 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted November 30, 2012 - 09:15 AM

.... and that just happens to be the air gap for the mag on a briggs, if there is anyone out there who has not picked up on that trick

on most small engine mags for that point, Lawnboy, weedwackers, tecumseh, new kohler, ect

#9 icpik OFFLINE  

icpik

• Member No: 8205
  • 21 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted November 30, 2012 - 09:44 AM

The tractor has points and condenser. It does not have the breakerless system. There is a small burn point on the points, so I looked into cleaning and setting the gap. When I finally found the sight hole and that I had to remove the hood, figured I would go ahead and replace the points. That is when I discovered the Kirk pointsaver and pointslayer. Hoping that there was an easier way. I could just set the gap, but I think it would be more accurate and get a better running machine by using the sight hole. If I do have to pull the hood, I will paint additional marks on the flywheel somewhere that can been seen.

Don Hayes