• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hankll OFFLINE  

hankll

• Member No: 1024
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted August 21, 2010 - 10:50 AM

I just bought a 2005 Murray with a 03 Briggs OHV model 21A707 type 0223E1 code 031001za in it. Apparently factory put older model engine in the Murray body. I got it from the original owner.

It does run, but valve lash was way off, and I adjusted them to .004 and adjusted the carb. Didn't give me much more power, and it has some smoke out the exhaust, and blow-by in the crankcase. I also hear a knock going on when I am going up a hill with the blades engaged, and it slows the RPM's to about 3/4 throttle speed when going up the hill like that.

If I tear it apart, will it be likely that I'd see crank journal in bad shape and the conrod, probably worn out. I'd be looking at the rings if bore is ok, and new conrod and crank journal polished up to .010 under probably? I was thinking if the engine would be a quick rebuild, I 'd rebuild it, but if I found another engine, I'd just swap it out. Probably for the same money.

It is a PowerBuilt, but I think of it as an Intek

Attached Thumbnails

• 2005 Murray 6 (Custom).jpg

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted August 21, 2010 - 11:01 AM

The blowby may be a blown OHV head gasket. This would put pressure in the crankcase & drop the power like crazy. As to rebuild issues, you'll just have to tear into it to see. Many times, engine replacement is as cheap as rebuild if a lot is worn out in there. It does remind me of an Intek.

#3 hankll OFFLINE  

hankll

• 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted August 21, 2010 - 04:51 PM

I admit not too much experience with OHV engines. It could be, and would be nice if it was as simple as the head gasket, but with the knock and the smoke (blue) I'm thinking total rebuild would be necessary. So.......I did a little phone call to a buddy of mine who is also in the biz of refurbishing, and he has an old style 12.5 hp Briggs. I have a little more faith in the flat L heads than these OHV Intek types. He's going to sell it to me for $125, which I didn't think was too unreasonable. I would probably spend that on the parts alone for the original engine. I might hang onto it and open it up later. I know it runs and I might work at it this winter or next spring.

He has a 16hp twin opposed for the same amount. I may buy it too. I need to swap out a 17 hp Tec engine on another rider.

Edited by hankll, August 21, 2010 - 05:21 PM.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted August 21, 2010 - 05:22 PM

The older 12.5 Briggs IC flatheads were a great engine and gave little trouble, at least to me. Parts for the other could easily surpass that engine price, especially if needing crank ground.

#5 hankll OFFLINE  

hankll

• 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted August 22, 2010 - 12:07 AM

Yea, that is what I thought, too. With the bottom end of this engine knocking, I thought it likely that it'd have to have a full detailed rebuild. $$$$$ was also on my thoughts for that. If it were not for the knock, I'd just re-ring it and slap it back together after a valve job.