Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Grand Caravan Engine Question

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted November 29, 2012 - 01:49 PM

The engine in my neice's Grand Caravan went and we're trying to find someone to put another one in. This is a 2004 Grand Caravan with a 3.3 liter V6. What we need to know is simple. Does the engine come out through the top or down through the bottom? It will make a difference on where we get the job done. I hope it's ok to post this on this site. Thanks.

#2 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 29, 2012 - 02:09 PM

I dont have a clue on this but I did find a short thread. Sounds like it should come out the bottom, but a few said it could be done from the top ( and they promptly got the BS flag)

http://www.automotiv...ngine_swap.html
  • David Brown said thank you

#3 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted November 29, 2012 - 02:15 PM

I appreciate the link. I was just logging on to say that we found the answer, (bottom unfortunately) and no longer need the thread. Here I have an answer already. What a great place! Anyway, the mods can remove this orkeep it here for future reference if they wish. I would probably close it though. Thanks!

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 29, 2012 - 02:39 PM

Don't know about the 2004,but I changed an engine in an "87 Caravan.I did it from the top.
  • David Brown said thank you

#5 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted November 29, 2012 - 02:57 PM

Don't know about the 2004,but I changed an engine in an "87 Caravan.I did it from the top.

Yeah I guess with the older ones you could do that but the newer they get, the weirder they get. I guess there are a lot of cars on the road now that have to be lifted off of the engine rather than the other way around. Just something else to prevent the average guy from doing his own work.

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 29, 2012 - 03:12 PM

Yeah,they really like making them today,so you can't do much of anything to your own car.

#7 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,754 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted November 29, 2012 - 04:07 PM

We used to remove the engines of VW bugs by backing it up on ramps and using a floor jack to lower the engine out of the car. After the third time pulling an engine on an 87 - 89 voyager, I seriously considered dropping the whole front off. Then found that the rear axle was rotted through in places and junked it.

#8 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,734 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted November 29, 2012 - 05:07 PM

They are really not that hard to drop the engines out of. I always use a cherry picker with a chain on it. Loosen the engine then jack the body up and let the engine down on a dolly.

#9 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,599 Thanks
  • 7,655 posts

Posted November 29, 2012 - 05:43 PM

Those old guys who had a pit in their garage for oil changes, really knew what they were doing.

#10 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted November 29, 2012 - 06:30 PM

yup....bottom, remove the cross member and its not as bad as it sounds.....

#11 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,026 Thanks
  • 1,122 posts

Posted November 29, 2012 - 07:19 PM

I don't know where you are at David, and I assume that you already have the replacement engine anyway. I have a great running 1997 3.3 in my wife's old Caravan. She lost 3rd and 4th gear and we decided it wasn't worth putting 800 or more bucks into it since she drives 60 miles a day. I robbed the front seats and the rear seat out of it for my '70 GMC Jimmy, put the new tires on my Sonoma and a while back I took the rear hatch wiper motor out of it and converted my '55 GMC to electric wipers. Right now it is a drivable storage shed packed full of truck parts. The wife is starting to pressure me to get rid of it, but there is good stuff on it yet!

Later---DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• Ol Grey Mare.jpg

Edited by MFDAC, November 29, 2012 - 07:20 PM.

• MH81 and David Brown have said thanks

#12 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted November 29, 2012 - 07:48 PM

I don't know where you are at David, and I assume that you already have the replacement engine anyway. I have a great running 1997 3.3 in my wife's old Caravan. She lost 3rd and 4th gear and we decided it wasn't worth putting 800 or more bucks into it since she drives 60 miles a day. I robbed the front seats and the rear seat out of it for my '70 GMC Jimmy, put the new tires on my Sonoma and a while back I took the rear hatch wiper motor out of it and converted my '55 GMC to electric wipers. Right now it is a drivable storage shed packed full of truck parts. The wife is starting to pressure me to get rid of it, but there is good stuff on it yet!

Later---DAC

Yeah he has another engine already. Bought and paid for. Besides, I'm in the Pittsburgh area. A little far to go for this I would say. I appriciate the offer though.