Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Something A Little Fishy About The Wizard Garden Tractor....

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 pwombles OFFLINE  

pwombles

• Member No: 7101
  • 200 Thanks
  • 220 posts

Posted November 26, 2012 - 10:24 PM

So I was checking on a new set of decals for the shroud on the wizard while it was off. what is left of the decal does not look like a 15 HP decal but rather a 10 or a 16. so I checked the model number of the engine and lo and behold a model# 243431 comes up as a 10hp! The wizard hood says 15HP! this is the original engine, so what is going on? Manual I downloaded on this site says a 10HP or 15HP tractor.engine is a model #243431 code#0656-01 serial #7203201. Someone help me understand please?

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,290 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted November 26, 2012 - 10:34 PM

Is it possible that someone put a different hood on it in the past?

#3 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted November 26, 2012 - 11:48 PM

untitled fish.png

Possible wrong decal from factory?
  • mjodrey said thank you

#4 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted November 27, 2012 - 05:04 AM

I'd bet on the option of someone replacing the hood at one point. I have zero doubts that it sure could be a factory mishap but the chances are pretty slim compared to just a switch hood. Both ideas are very valid tho......

#5 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted November 27, 2012 - 08:51 AM

engine swap, engine tag swap at one point

#6 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

tinbender7

FORDoholic

• Member No: 5171
  • 1,113 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted November 27, 2012 - 08:53 AM

I have worked around cars all my life and have seen many factory mistakes like this. What amazes me is that sometimes it is the end user that catches it,sometimes years later when trying to find a part. I have a weedeater that I bought new and it has decals from 2 different models.I did not notice until I got the wrong parts for it and had ordered them from 1 set of decals.

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 27, 2012 - 01:16 PM

I have worked around cars all my life and have seen many factory mistakes like this. What amazes me is that sometimes it is the end user that catches it,sometimes years later when trying to find a part. I have a weedeater that I bought new and it has decals from 2 different models.I did not notice until I got the wrong parts for it and had ordered them from 1 set of decals.

Yeah I've been there, had a 1970 Ford Pinto I had problems with the Front Brakes and discovered I had one of a few hundred Pintos with drum brakes on the front. Ford did not even list drums in their parts lists and I had to get a drum from a salvage yard in Omaha.

#8 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

tinbender7

FORDoholic

• Member No: 5171
  • 1,113 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted November 27, 2012 - 01:30 PM

Yeah I've been there, had a 1970 Ford Pinto I had problems with the Front Brakes and discovered I had one of a few hundred Pintos with drum brakes on the front. Ford did not even list drums in their parts lists and I had to get a drum from a salvage yard in Omaha.

didn't that make you feel speacal! A car that only a few hundred where built like that. lol

Edited by tinbender7, November 27, 2012 - 01:31 PM.

#9 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted November 27, 2012 - 01:41 PM

Sometimes those sorts of things are self inflicted! My Ranger got the door damaged when someone backed into it and T-boned me. Well, we got a replacement door off another Ranger and painted it to match, installed it with the door lock and thought I was done. A couple of years go by, and I take it in for it's yearly inspection, which we have to pass here in NC in order to renew our tags. The truck passes, and a week later I try to renew the registration, and I'm told I can't, the vehicle hasn't been inspected. I go out, get the receipt from the inspection, go back inside and they still say, "No". I'm figuring at this point that my service people have dropped the ball, so I take it back there to see what the heck they have done to me. They confirm that all the equipment is working properly, and that all their inspections have been turned in properly. We started looking at the truck, and I've got TWO ID plates, the original still on the pillar of the cab, and the one from the wrecked truck on the edge of the door! Apparently, Ford switched the location of the ID plate during production. One Sharpie later, I'm back to only one legible ID plate, end of problem.
  • tinbender7 said thank you

#10 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted November 27, 2012 - 04:12 PM

I used to have a 90 GMC pickup that I got from the original owner. Never wrecked. After I had it for a couple of years I was changing the oil and when I crawled out i noticed it had a CHevy1500 emblem on the passengers door. Went to the drivers side and it said GMC1500. Was talking to the guy I bought it from and he said it came from the factory that way.

#11 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted November 27, 2012 - 06:22 PM

I used to have a 90 GMC pickup that I got from the original owner. Never wrecked. After I had it for a couple of years I was changing the oil and when I crawled out i noticed it had a CHevy1500 emblem on the passengers door. Went to the drivers side and it said GMC1500. Was talking to the guy I bought it from and he said it came from the factory that way.

When I worked at a GMC dealership, we would see Chevrolet tailgates or interior badging that was mismatched. Years ago we had a Firebird come in with leather interior in the front and cloth in the back. I also have signed a customer out on the wrong car. That creates problems later with insurance and the bank.

#12 pwombles OFFLINE  

pwombles

• Member No: 7101
  • 200 Thanks
  • 220 posts

Posted November 28, 2012 - 07:42 AM

Ok, so last night I went out and measured the bore and stroke and confirmed that it is indeed a 10 hp. 3-1\16 bore, 3-1\4 stroke. a little bummed, but nonetheless excited about getting it going. Its still a well-built machine that should serve me well. Any idea if implements from other makes will fit on it? Will be looking for a plow and tiller to start. thanks