#1 rut3556 OFFLINE  

rut3556
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 15910
  • 8 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted November 26, 2012 - 03:10 PM

Hello all,

I've been lusting after DB's since the early 50s, and it looks like I'm doing a deal on a c.1950 "5752", complete with snow plow, culitvator, disc. harrow, and land plow. I believe it to be complete, although not running at the moment. It supposedly turns over ok, but has no spark. Assuming that can be fixed, it should be a runner. However, in the event the motor turns out to be toast I'd be intetrested in knowing what "off the shelf" B&S motor would work in its place? I understand it's best to keep things original, but in the event that's not possible it would be an opportunity to add a bit more horsepower to the equation.

Thanks in advance,

RUT

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 26, 2012 - 03:18 PM

RUT,

Welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.
  • rut3556 said thank you

#3 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted November 26, 2012 - 03:19 PM

Welcome to the site Rut! Thanks for joining! There is a good DB fan base here who will be able to answer your questions!
  • rut3556 said thank you

#4 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted November 26, 2012 - 05:05 PM

Hi Rut, as Ryan said there is a big DB fan base so someone should be along before long who can help you out. Welcome to GTTalk and I look forward to hearing more about your new DB.
  • rut3556 said thank you

#5 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted November 26, 2012 - 05:33 PM

:welcometogttalk: Good Luck with your project. And don't forget the pictures! :camera:
  • rut3556 said thank you

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,544 posts

Posted November 26, 2012 - 05:35 PM

Welcome to GTT. If you're new to working on garden tractors there is alot of help available here. Take some time to explore the site. There are manuals for downloading, pictures of projects in the galleries section, and lots of topics of conversation. Be warned though, there is no immunity to catching the GT bug. Bet you can't own just one. Remember we love to see pictures and help with your problems.

In answer to your question, there are several engines that you can use. A 6.5hp Chinese from Harbor Freight can be your last resort. They're $100 on sale. But, wait until you get to that point. Good Luck
  • rut3556 said thank you

#7 Littledeere ONLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted November 26, 2012 - 06:42 PM

Welcome :welcome:
  • rut3556 said thank you

#8 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted November 26, 2012 - 07:08 PM

:welcometogttalk:
  • rut3556 said thank you

#9 VSTROM803 OFFLINE  

VSTROM803
  • Member No: 10269
  • 369 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted November 26, 2012 - 08:25 PM

Hello all,

I've been lusting after DB's since the early 50s, and it looks like I'm doing a deal on a c.1950 "5752", complete with snow plow, culitvator, disc. harrow, and land plow. I believe it to be complete, although not running at the moment. It supposedly turns over ok, but has no spark. Assuming that can be fixed, it should be a runner. However, in the event the motor turns out to be toast I'd be intetrested in knowing what "off the shelf" B&S motor would work in its place? I understand it's best to keep things original, but in the event that's not possible it would be an opportunity to add a bit more horsepower to the equation.

Thanks in advance,

RUT

Congratulations on the DB haul. Sounds like you got a great start.
I personally prefer a re-powered tractor. I put mine to work and prefer the extra horse power. My 5756 has a 5 H.P. Tecumseh. It can drag me through the woods if I let it. I believe it is an HS50. A lot of snow blowers come with Tecumsehs that will fit. For my tractor I had to modify the air cleaner and replace the recoil start with an old school rope pulley start for the hood to fit. If you're not using the hood the 6.5 H.P. Harbour Freight motor does a good job for cheap. I have one mounted on a 575135 and love it. The 575135 is currently apart for painting.
There's lots of info out there. Be careful though, these things are terribly addictive.

Attached Thumbnails

• 5756 LEFT.JPG
  • 5756 HOOD UP 1.JPG

• rut3556 said thank you

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted November 26, 2012 - 11:02 PM

:welcome: to GTTalk, glad you joined up and are getting some help.

• rut3556 said thank you

#11 rut3556 OFFLINE  

rut3556
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 8 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted November 26, 2012 - 11:58 PM

Well, thanks so much for the warm welcome. I think I'm gonna like this forum! As a kid, I did have a Bolens "Husky" back in the early 50s, but my buddy's dad had a DB, and I was always impressed with its having a "hood", to say nothing of large automotive tires & wheels. Thus my fascination. I should be picking it up tomorrow afternoon, so I'll have a better idea what I've gotten myself into then.

Thanks again, and I'll be following up with pics in the near future.

===RUT===

#12 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted November 27, 2012 - 01:25 AM

Welcome to the world of walking tractors,RUT. We will be glad to view your pictures and help you with what ever questions you have. I would start with getting your orginal engine running and go from there.
  • rut3556 said thank you

#13 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted November 27, 2012 - 04:45 AM

:welcometogttalk: glad to have another with us, also great to see you became a "Sight supporter" so soon, usually takes people a while and some never do. As far as the engine, sometimes ya just have to re-power with somethin new. Before you start looking at new engines, check the lil things. You said it does turn over but no sprak? Check magnetto contacts for rust/grim and the flywheel as well. Check points and condenser....many simple things to check that could be easy fixes with lil to no money before you buy a new engine. Enjoy your GT-garden tractor, and glad to see another new member.....and thank you again for becoming a supporter!! :thumbs:
  • rut3556 said thank you

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted November 27, 2012 - 04:58 AM

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you aboard. And thanks for becoming a 'Site Supporter. If you haven't checked this out yet, please do so. We also have a member map if you are inclined to show us where you are located. Doesn't have to be exact, zipcode will work.
  • rut3556 said thank you

#15 rut3556 OFFLINE  

rut3556
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 8 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted November 28, 2012 - 09:05 AM

Hi Guys,

Made the 60 mile trip yesterday afternoon and came back with the goods. Fortunately, it was a "barter" situation, so no actual money changed hands. Everything seems to be there, and the motor is most definitely the original "N" type. The tires look to be original too, if that be possible. Everything has been put away for the winter, and come spring I'll look forward to getting it up & running. :-)

Thanks much,

RUT

Attached Thumbnails

• DB.JPG