• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 08:58 PM

Around 1976/77 the Economy name was replaced by Power King so Power King was now the tractor's name. Same company, same tractor, just a change of name. They felt that the name "Economy made the tractors sound cheap. Thus started the numbered system that we all like to use but few actually understand. The Jim Dandy became the 1612 and the old Power King models became 1614, 1618, 2414, etc. The number system is nothing more than the rear tire size (24 or 16) and the horse power (12, 14, 16, 18 etc.) I own three of these tractors. 1973 Economy 14 horse with 16" rear wheels. (many folks would call this a 1614) 1981 Power King 1614 1983 Power King 2414 Most people like to use the numbered system when referring to an older Economy. That's fine because everyone is used to using it now and it gets the point across in an efficient way. I've learned to let it slide except when they get it wrong (which I am seeing a lot of lately). They get it wrong because they don't understand the system. That's where we come in. Face it, we are here to educate and have fun at the same time. I'm a little anal about this because I've always said that these tractors are history lessons on wheels. We should make some attempt to be accurate. After all, George Washington didn't ride a Harley to warn us that the Chinese were coming. You get my point. This is just scratching the surface of this company but I think it's all we need for now. Probably more than you wanted to know but, as I say, it's all in the name of accuracy. I hope I put another wrinkle in your brain today.[/quote] I have a 1976 Jim Dandy model with the 14hp. Would mine be considered a Power King Jim Dandy ? One big difference on the JD was 8" wheels up front. What decals would have been on the side of my hood since it was painted over when I got it?

#17 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted February 16, 2013 - 10:12 AM

I have a 1976 Jim Dandy model with the 14hp. Would mine be considered a Power King Jim Dandy ? One big difference on the JD was 8" wheels up front. What decals would have been on the side of my hood since it was painted over when I got it?

That would be an Economy Jim Dandy and it would have a Jim Dandy decal on the top center of the hood.

• pharmer said thank you

#18 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted February 16, 2013 - 11:06 AM

That's what I thought. Thanks. As far as I'm concerned to me it's still a Power King tractor just a different model. Just like all Power Kings are Economy tractors.

I just checked my S.N.-42736 which makes it a 1977.
Do these decals still apply?

Edited by pharmer, February 16, 2013 - 11:18 AM.

#19 mhjr5500 OFFLINE  

mhjr5500
  • Member No: 27348
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 06:37 PM

I just bought this 1962 JDjim dandy 002.jpg Thats the only decal on mine

#20 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 10:01 PM

I just bought this 1962 JD jim dandy 002.jpg Thats the only decal on mine

First, welcome to the site! That looks to be a good tractor there! Make sure to post more pictures and introduce yourself in the introduction section!

#21 kbeitz OFFLINE  

kbeitz

• Member No: 984
  • 0 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 03:18 PM

I had this letter sent to me from some one the worked for Power King years ago... I ask a question about Country Squire and the was his reply...

Like any company that lasted from 1946 to the early 1990s there are lots of twists and turns that happened. Engineering Products Co., Inc. was the official corporate name of the company that produced your tractor. We basically assembled the tractors from parts that we purchased - we didn't make engines or hydraulic cylinders or electrical switches or transmissions, we bought them. We had castings made and had various shops do the machining. Everything came into our plant and we assembled them. In all those years the sales process changed - Factory Direct to the Customer, thru dealers, thru distributors and sometimes a combination of these. The entire tractor line and the various models had a number of changes that also at times crossed over. Your "Country Squire Tractor" was produced at a time when an individual (who later became the in-house Sales Manager) was employed to work out of his house, in Muskego, WI, and sell tractors factory direct to customers via mail order. When your tractor came down the line it simply was given a different Name Plate and next serial number stamped onto it. In another time a tractor might have been a "Country Squire model" of an Economy Tractor because of the particular combination of front and rear tire sizes that it had been ordered with.

#22 kbeitz OFFLINE  

kbeitz

• 0 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 03:19 PM

Hummmm....

What happend to my post... I got lined out.....

#23 kbeitz OFFLINE  

kbeitz

• 0 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 03:25 PM

Power King names .... Can anyone add to this list ?

Power King

Economy

Jim Dandy

Country Squire

Red E

National
Estate

Power Queen

Lawn-O-mat

#24 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 05:18 PM

I don't think any serial #'s were tagged as Lawn-O Mat.I think it was a lawn service that bought a number of tractors and had them ordered green.I think.

• NyRedNeck said thank you