• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,433 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 07:00 PM

Has anyone been to either place or heard of them? or maybe live near them? im in a 4wd club and where thinking about taking a weekend trip down that way in the spring to do a little expedition wheeling/mountian biking in the areas. Any info would be greatly appreacited thanks guys.

#2 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 07:23 PM

I was just in Centralia about two months ago. I picked up a riding mower in the area and decided to drive and walk around the town or what's left off it.

A section of the major road that used to run thur it is blocked on both ends, it was a neat walk seeing all the graffiti in the road, some many years old.

I'm not sure about 4 wheeling around there, but lots of places to mountain bike.
  • backwoods said thank you

#3 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,433 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 08:25 PM

is anyone still living in the town?

#4 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,433 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 08:36 PM

the rd blocked off is old 61 new 61 ends up running through the town atleast it looks like that according to the map on google

#5 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,433 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 08:42 PM

for anyone that doesnt know what im talking about heres 2 links
http://www.abandonedturnpike.com/

http://www.offroader...a/centralia.htm
  • Orangeman05 and jms180 have said thanks

#6 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 08:47 PM

is anyone still living in the town?

Yes, a few hold outs are still there.

And it is Rt 61 which was rebuilt around the town. Most if not all the other streets are still there, but some are very overgrown.

#7 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,433 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 09:20 PM

was it creepy in any sort of way? or were you just in awe of what mother nature can do

#8 Orangeman05 OFFLINE  

Orangeman05

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 917
  • 16 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted November 26, 2012 - 02:09 AM

Thanks backwoods, I've never heard of these places before. Very interesting.

Edited by Orangeman05, November 26, 2012 - 02:10 AM.

#9 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,166 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted November 26, 2012 - 09:26 AM

We've been through Centralia many times over the past 20 years. .....It was interesting, but sad, to see a town die.

It's strange to drive through there when there is snow on the ground, as there is no snow on the "hot spots", and steam is seen coming up from the ground.

#10 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted November 26, 2012 - 09:31 AM

was it creepy in any sort of way? or were you just in awe of what mother nature can do

Nope, not creepy at all. In a way it looks like at one time a town was going to be built there, then someone changed their mind. Not knowing what happened, I'm sure some have thought that.

I had a bunch of photos from there, but dam if I can find them. If I figure where I stored them, I'll post a few.
  • backwoods said thank you

#11 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,653 posts

Posted November 26, 2012 - 10:04 AM

It's strange to drive through there when there is snow on the ground, as there is no snow on the "hot spots", and steam is seen coming up from the ground.

What's that all about? Sounds paranormal to me! :mad2:

#12 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted November 26, 2012 - 11:11 AM

My wife and I used to bike a lot of rail trails and one of the abandoned turnpike sections has been on our list for quite a few years. There's a small parking area for one of the sections on the eastbound side just east of the Sidling Hill rest area.
I had no idea they had a website for it but your link just pulled up a completely blank page.

For those that don't know about it, the PA turnpike was actually built on the abandoned right of way that was to become the South Penn Railroad. The railroad was to be Vanderbilt's competitor to the Pennsylvania Railroad but it was never finished. The right of way existed and the tunnels were all there but not finished so it became the Pennsylvania Turnpike. As time passed and the tunnels needed to be paralleled to handle increased traffic, they were able to reroute the TP to eliminate several tunnels and save money. Due to the fact that cars were able to handle steeper grades than trains, they basically just went around and up the back side of the mountain instead of through it. I believe they ended up with two (maybe three) sections that were abandoned. If I remember correctly, the eastern section is 12ish miles long and has one tunnel.

I've heard they make great hiking and biking trails.
Technically, I don't believe the sections are open for use and I've heard they were going to seal off the tunnels but I never heard if that happened or not. I'm sure it's use at your own risk.

What's that all about? Sounds paranormal to me! :mad2:

The hot spots and steam are from a coal mine fire that's been burning since 1962.

Edited by Canawler, November 26, 2012 - 11:33 AM.

#13 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,433 posts

Posted November 26, 2012 - 12:04 PM

there are 3 tunnels but only 2 are open the third is on a privite lease from what i have found Rays hill and Sideling hill are open to be explored as well as the section of road between them.

from what ive read the fire started behind the cemetary in the dump when they started bruing some brush from spring clean up.the site i posted the link to has more info as well as pics. if you google centralia or look on youtube you can find out a lot about the town

#14 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted November 26, 2012 - 06:27 PM

That's really weird. The abandoned turnpike website you linked to comes up as a completely blank page on my home computer and when I tried it on my cell it's blocked, say's it's a suspicious site, and there's a reminder from Verizon that all web activity is monitored!!!! :watching_you:
I've never seen anything even remotely like that on my phone. What exactly are you trying to get us into?? :bigrofl:

#15 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,433 posts

Posted November 26, 2012 - 07:12 PM

its the site for the tunnels and the info on them it appears just fine on my computer. ill try to find another link to info on the tunnels then if that one has issues