UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 06:44 PM

Went down to get exhaust flange gaskets for this truck I am putting back together and while I was there two guys came in with questions the counter guys couldn't answer. SO I answered them. I was getting ready to leave and one of the guys I helped said, "Don't go you are the only one here who knows what the hell he is talking about." I just laughed. Out on the sidewalk I helped two other people before I was able to leave. I should really get a paycheck.
  • mjodrey, MH81, wvbuzzmaster and 1 other said thanks

#2 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 06:47 PM

wow thats sad they people to answer nothing. you should work for them as an outsource tech

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 06:48 PM

It is nice to be part of the elite that actually have a clue about how something works. Mechanical machines might be considered a thing of the past already with all the computers, but they still have to drive something!

#4 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 07:01 PM

Take it as a compliment. You have the ability and skills that most people dont have.

#5 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 07:02 PM

About 6 months ago I got a call from one of the AZ managers asking if I could put his car up on my trailer and take it to his house because the clutch went out. IT was a little 90s Cavalier. I asked him if he could fix it and he said, "Yes, I have the Haynes manual." So I wound up making some extra cash putting it in for him. He kept telling me that the book didn't say to do something or said to do it different. His wife finally took the book away from him before I beat him to death with it.
  • wvbuzzmaster, bgkid2966 and LilysDad have said thanks

#6 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,198 Thanks
  • 5,215 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 07:04 PM

I would be happy I could help someone by just doing a simple thing like that.

#7 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,245 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 07:19 PM

I remember going into an AZ and a nice women needed her battery changed, they told her they can install it for free, but it's a 45 minute wait. No one else was in the store and honestly, for most cars, it doesn't take that long.

I called where I was supposed to be, told them I was going to be a little late and put it in for her. She thanked me and I went on my way. Took I think 5 minutes.

I believe in making things as right as possible and helping where I can. AZ asked if I could stay and do a few others, wish I could have, but I had to get going.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#8 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,766 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 07:21 PM

I commend you on multiple good deeds in one day. Be glad that your're not one of the reality challenged.

I go to the local NAPA where I know that half the guys are older than me(61) and they know what they're talking about. It also usually is alot cheaper to get the parts there. BTW NAPA has alot of the parts I need for tractors, including Wisconsin carb kits and even filters for my 1955 Allis.

#9 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,943 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 08:47 PM

I hate to say, but we are going the way of the dinasauers. I watched "How the Earth was made" today and got depressed. It seemed that after each Earth event (Voconic period, Ice Age, Tectonic Plate shift, Killer Astroid, etc) We evolved. As the show got to present day and talked about the Industria revolution (Anyone older than 50) was part of the Industral revolution it kinda went off track. I think we are at the beginning of the Information age, and the disturbing part of this, there was no real event that triggered it.....
Now I agree, as a throw-away socity, the ability to fix things mechnical will be left to an elite few, the rest will just "jack in" and download the Chilton's manual.

#10 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 09:23 PM

... the ability to fix things mechnical will be left to an elite few, the rest will just "jack in" and download the Chilton's manual.

They might be able to download and get a job at AZ, but they won't know what a 1/2 inch wrench is and why it won't fit a 9/16 inch bolt!

#11 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 10:00 PM

There are so many things that the manual doesn't cover. Such as the frame on the Caviler that is about 1 inch too long to get the transmission out forcing you to pull the trans out of engagement with the clutch then rotate it in slight increments on every axis while slowly dropping it down until it comes out. The manual simply says remove transmission. It also offers very little advice on how to remove a worn pilot bearing that cannot be grabbed with the puller and refuses to come out with the grease trick.

I watched a 20 something year old guy who was a Ford trained ASE certified mechanic try to get the fuel lines off of a Ford Explorer for almost 45 minutes. I finally walked out to see what he was doing. I walked to my truck retrieved a pick and went over and unhooked the line in 15 seconds. While he stood there telling me I couldn't do it that way the whole time. After it was loose I stood. Put on my hat. And told him, " You have to realize that I have been doing this for a lot of years. There are things that only experience will teach you. And most importantly - old guys know stuff."

I picked up a Honda Civic for scrap that the guy told me the front CV axle would not come out so they beat the car up and destroyed it. They told me that the car was no good and they knew it because they were all going to UTI and taking automotive courses.(three of them were a week from graduation.) I walked to the CV axle in question and smiled then loaded the car up and left. My wife saw the smile and asked what it was. The geniuses had not bothered to straighten out the lip on the CV axle retaining nut that is knocked in to stop. the nut from backing off. Too bad they destroyed the car.

#12 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,943 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 10:17 PM

• My comment is not directed at "us" but more to the up comming generation. Just observe the "current" public. 90% of their attention is focused on "smart" technology..... rather than the job at hand.

#13 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 10:48 PM

This is why I think a majority of high schools are screwing the youngsters now because so many have dropped their VO-AG, carpentry and metalworking courses. There's a lot of kids out there that would love to learn but won't have the money to attend post high school courses.
When I was young an old timer told me" Keep your eyes and ears open, your mouth shut unless there's a question coming out of it, and you'll go far". Those words have helped me thru life,and I still abide by them even when listening to a youngster!!
I think so many of the auto parts chains are just happy to have someone who can run the 'puter and find the item on the shelf.
Mike

Edited by ol' stonebreaker, November 25, 2012 - 10:52 PM.

#14 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,307 Thanks
  • 4,660 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 11:18 PM

They must now have been able to find the answer on their smart-phones! Do you make change for them too?? Pathetic!!

#15 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,766 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted November 26, 2012 - 09:19 AM

Unfortunately, in the future, them that can may be forced into doing for others and paid poorly. When the draft was repealled in the seventies, they did not repeal the law that allows drafting nurses. There has never been a drafting of nurses, they always volunteer in sufficient numbers. But, they changed the compensation. My wife was direct commissioned as a 1LT Army nurse during Nam. After 1973, nurses were commissioned as 2LTs. That was a significan pay reduction. They also slowed the promotions for everybody. The point is that when a talent becomes very important there is a possibility of forced service. People forced to work are rarely well paid.

I do agree with the thread comments above. Our society values fads and shows above substance and integrity. I sometimes think that the extreme prepers are secretly hoping for a cleansing of the earth(we are an infection, to the earth, more or less).

I'm laid off/ early retired from Civil Engineering. The reliance on computers(artificial intelligence) is throughout road and bridge design to the exclusion of reality. I've seen plans that couldn't be built because of conflicts with the field conditions(nobody surveyed). Plans where one page conflicts with others because the plans were assembled by a group and no one checked them. I was a pain to others because I believe that the design and construction have to be right or someone may get hurt. That made me a dinosaur and not employable. Watch the internet news these days. There are several times as many structure collapses now as there were 25 years ago. The lack of competency seems to be everywhere.

We can only try to teach our kids and grandkids. I used GTs to entertain and teach my son. Now, he's 19 in college and interested in cars. Unfortunately, he's not interested in getting his hands dirty.

Edited by boyscout862, November 26, 2012 - 06:47 PM.