• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • Member No: 10588
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 02:16 PM

I have an Agri Fab LSTC 42 snow blower, and just noticed that it is much higher on the lift handle side and I think that might have something to do with the belt falling off. It would fall off when i raise the snowblower at the end of the drive to backup. I never had a problem until I had a place install it for rme a few years ago. I had another place try to fix it, and they couldn't find a problem. (in their shop, no snow ) Grandson straightened out a side plate last year and that seemed to work for the one storm we had. After getting it all set for snow now I noticed that the right side, which is the lift lever side, is a lot higher, and I'd like to adjust it. The two hex nuts for the cable adjustment aren't listed in the parts diagram because they evidently sell only as " Trigger and Lift Cable Assembly ". I can't find an open end wrench to fit these nuts. I think I can get away with using a 1/2" on the top one (it's a littl big ), but the bottom one is impossible to get a wrench on. I think the proper size is 12.5 mm.( I measured it with a caliper ) which I don't have. Can anyone with the same blower tell me what they use ? I don't want to spend $20 or so for a one time use. Thanks to anyone that can help.

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 02:24 PM

12.5mm is not a standard metric size nut ! It's a real oddball size you have there. 12.5mm is .492 inches which means you won't get much closer than a 1/2" wrench. 12mm is .472. 15/32 would be very close to 12mm at .469 if you could find one.
  • MH81 said thank you

#3 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,531 Thanks
  • 3,919 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 02:40 PM

If it isn't seized tight, try wrapping a piece of paper around it so the wrench is tight.

#4 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,719 Thanks
  • 4,279 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 02:48 PM

Crescent wrench?

#5 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 03:08 PM

15/32 is too small, and the worst part is that it's in a spot that requires a very thin walled open end. I might see if I can grind 7/16" wrench open enough. shorty, that paper trick would probably work if I had the room to fit a 1/2" wrench in there. Hmm, I might just grind te outside of one of my1/2" ones if i can't find anything else. Doug T, as stated, tight fit, Crescent wrench won't work either.

I wonder if I could put a small chisel or screwdriver against the nut, and hammer it counterclockwise ........ ??

Edited by oldtimer, November 25, 2012 - 03:08 PM.

#6 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 03:08 PM

If you have a collection of old tool wrenches (from chainsaws, table saws, circular saws, etc...) sometimes one of those will fit an odd-sized bolt. That's one of the excuses I use for saving so much junk.

The other thing I've done, although not in such a small size, is to find an old wrench that's just a little too small, and grind it out to fit.

Failing that, maybe you could cut a slot in the bolt head and get a screwdriver in there.

#7 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 03:27 PM

unfortunately it's not a bolt. it's an outside fixed threaded tube that the cable slides through. Maybe I'm going at this wrong. The manual says it can be adjusted. Maybe I have to try a different angle to the hex nut. Probalby should take the snow blower off, but that's not going to happen.

#8 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted December 10, 2012 - 06:07 PM

Lesson learned ! Soin gave me a hand today. As soon as I loosened the top nut I was able to see that the tube was in a slot !! NOt part of the solid bracket like I thought. The old eyes didn't notice that before. Easy fix .

#9 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 09:54 AM

We are sure glad you got the problem solved. Now you know for future references.

Dick

#10 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 10:24 AM

We are sure glad you got the problem solved. Now you know for future references.

Dick

Yup ! Old dog still learns! :D