#16 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,722 Thanks
  • 8,904 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 07:58 AM

100 Amps- What the heck are you going to put in there?? Electric heat and washer/ dryer and hot water heater??!?! :worshippy1:

**You didn't mention Ground or neutral rods Cat.. As it's a separate panel it needs them installed there. (minimum 6' apart I believe) (Jersey might show up and set us straight if not!) Other than that it looks OK though I would have kept the wire in conduit right up to the panel so something doesn't penetrate those babies and cause issues. (keep things long/loose in the panel) Another note is to put oxide inhibitor on the aluminum wire connections.. It keeps your connections as conductive and protects you and your equipment. Just a morning crumpet or two for ya to chew on..

100 amps, 60 amps, $10 price difference between the two.......I do have a few woodworking tools running around. Never know, I might need to fire them all up at once.

One 8' (5/8") ground rod outside the shed. I got by with one rod, but barely. The inspector said it tested out at about 25 ohms. I thought two was going to be necessary with my sand soil. But the rod must be deep enough to be hitting some moisture.

On the inhibitor, you should of seen the looks I got when I asked for that stuff at Menards. I think at one point there was 3 employees looking around. Finally a forklift operator got on the radio and said they don't carry it. Had to swipe some from an electrician at my church.

Edited by Cat385B, November 25, 2012 - 08:10 AM.

#17 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,722 Thanks
  • 8,904 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 08:09 AM

Full disclosure, I was scolded by the inspector for not affixing the sticker for the separate ground bar in the new panel. I wasn't even aware that the code had changed, saying you had to have a separate (not shared) grounding bar in the panel. Or that I shouldn't ground the box through the factory neutral bus bar cross link. The inspector removed the grounding screw out of that for me. I did have the #6 copper wire to the ground rod run from the separate grounding bar, though.

Final inspection is tomorrow.

Edited by Cat385B, November 25, 2012 - 08:09 AM.

• KennyP and A.C.T. have said thanks

#18 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 08:18 AM

Cat, that is a real nice shed. As mentioned they never are big enough. Mine is 30x40 cement floor and wired(friend is electrician), As posted before no heat. This winter hope to change that.

We had Thanksgiving at our house this year and during the meal by Brother-In-Law asks if he can store his car in there. I did good, I held my tounge, explained I am so full I have half my GT's at my Parents. They have 3 Pole Barns that are full.

Some day want to build another Pole Shed but chances are real good I will be 60 when that happens. But thats OK because I dont plan to stop putzing around at 59.
  • Cat385B said thank you

#19 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 08:58 AM

Full disclosure, I was scolded by the inspector for not affixing the sticker for the separate ground bar in the new panel. I wasn't even aware that the code had changed, saying you had to have a separate (not shared) grounding bar in the panel. Or that I shouldn't ground the box through the factory neutral bus bar cross link. The inspector removed the grounding screw out of that for me. I did have the #6 copper wire to the ground rod run from the separate grounding bar, though.

Final inspection is tomorrow.

Separate ground bar for grounds only goes way back in the code cupcake. : ) And so does the not bonding the neutral bar to the box.
With sub panels.

And not many inspectors even go to the trouble to test one ground rod, they just often ask for 2 and just assume its good.

The "tamperproof" stuff is only required for residential installations. If you put a GFCI outside for anything, you'll need a WR TP GFCI.

WR means water resistant. And they have a blue WR printed on them. Just another type of GFCI to stock in the van.

Looks good Scott ! Nice to see it being done rite !! I did not cringe even once. : )

Here is a panel that I did an emergency change on just the other day. The main breaker got cooked cause the feeds to it were loose. Torque them down tightly, and let them sit and do it again after a few days.

And no, I did not install this panel, it was done by a hack 15 years ago. I just inherited the mess when papa johns rented the pos building.

2nd photo is the new interior going in.

And the new service cable, cause the old one was kinda crispy.

Attached Thumbnails

• image-1618712853.jpg
  • image-1294500626.jpg

Edited by NJKen, November 25, 2012 - 08:59 AM.

• KennyP, Cat385B and marlboro180 have said thanks

#20 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 10:34 AM

Oh, the fun you get to have Jersey...^^^

On the not bonding a sub- panel neutral bar, my electrician gave me a stern learin' on that one LOL. He straightened things out for me . :smilewink:

Cat- one can never have enough power in a shed, and having the ability to stretch out more power in there is a great thing IMHO. When I upgraded the power to my " garage shop " I ran a 100A sub panel out there and it allows for just about any future use. What I like is that even when I am welding and the air compressor happens to kick on, I have no worries.

Thanks again for the case " barn envy " Cat ! :poke:
  • Cat385B said thank you

#21 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 06:02 PM

I'm sorry.. is it wrong what really stands out for me in here is Ken calling Cat "cupcake" hahahahaha You guys are the best.. I needed that laugh...

#22 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,698 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 06:33 PM

Building looks great. I am jealous of anyone that has power in their building. Mine is run off an extension cord.

#23 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,722 Thanks
  • 8,904 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 07:20 PM

I'm sorry.. is it wrong what really stands out for me in here is Ken calling Cat "cupcake" hahahahaha You guys are the best.. I needed that laugh...

Don't ya love it when he gets all 'g-rated'? He's so darn cute sometimes.

#24 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted November 26, 2012 - 12:36 AM

LOL

#25 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,208 Thanks
  • 5,217 posts

Posted November 26, 2012 - 12:41 AM

This is getting scary!
  • WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#26 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted November 26, 2012 - 03:03 AM

This is what came to mind...

Posted Image

I'm thinking that's You Cat, WHFan and JS5020..
  • WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#27 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,722 Thanks
  • 8,904 posts

Posted November 26, 2012 - 05:44 PM

Well, it:
pole shed power up2 001.jpg

A shot of the exterior of the shed: