• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted November 24, 2012 - 11:27 AM

The other day I was looking at the hood for the '56 and I noticed it is beat up! I could use it, but it would need a lot of work. Then I thought that it probably would not be that hard to make another hood in my welding class.

The Wisconsin engine in it now is not in the best shape, some of the cooling fins are rotted completely off! The thing holding me back from putting a briggs 23 (also offered that year) in it was that it would not fit with this hood. But, if I was going to make a new hood then I could cut it the way the hoods were cut to fit the model 23 engines in the first place.

Then it came to me! If I am doing a repower, why not do it the "right" way! I know that a good amount of you will say that diesel is the only way to go. But, I don't really like the look of the china desiels. Nothing against them, but just not my cup of tea. So, if I had a choice I would go with something else.

Just wanted to see what everybody else opinions were. The hardest part is finding something that will bolt up to the bell-housing. But, who is to say a new one can't be made? Then maybe also a custom part as a coupler between the crank and clutch? I know, things are getting more complicated. Remember, this is just an idea right now. There is nothing that says I wont even use the original hood and engine in it now! If you wanted to make sure that does not happen... you could donate an engine to a great cause! :smilewink:

#2 wvbuzzmaster ONLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 24, 2012 - 01:20 PM

Diesel repower can be a lot of monkey business, especially if you rule out the air cooled China diesel immediately. All they are is a Yanmar clone. While be it expensive, the 10 HP one would be the way to go. So now you are looking for a diesel that may or may not exist to fit easier or better, so I think you might have just barked up a tree of dollars and sense, because the other option is Lombardini and those are about 3 times more dollars than the China diesel. So unless you find an old reefer truck with a compact enough diesel that still runs, you might not find what you need ever... I wish you the best of luck.

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, November 24, 2012 - 01:20 PM.

#3 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted November 24, 2012 - 02:48 PM

Diesel repower can be a lot of monkey business, especially if you rule out the air cooled China diesel immediately. All they are is a Yanmar clone. While be it expensive, the 10 HP one would be the way to go. So now you are looking for a diesel that may or may not exist to fit easier or better, so I think you might have just barked up a tree of dollars and sense, because the other option is Lombardini and those are about 3 times more dollars than the China diesel. So unless you find an old reefer truck with a compact enough diesel that still runs, you might not find what you need ever... I wish you the best of luck.

I just looked on google, and they actually don't look that bad. I thought they looked more like those little gasoline Honda engine.
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#4 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted November 24, 2012 - 03:34 PM

I installed a 25 hp V-twin Kawasaki and clutch and flywheel housing bolted up with no issues.

#5 Bob 537 OFFLINE  

Bob 537
  • Member No: 10133
  • 68 Thanks
  • 127 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 08:27 AM

as much as i like diesel i would say keep it stock

but who am i kidding

if you have to mod the hood.... get that diesel engine!

#6 CRE1992 OFFLINE  

CRE1992
  • Member No: 11285
  • 28 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted August 09, 2015 - 01:58 PM

I installed a 25 hp V-twin Kawasaki and clutch and flywheel housing bolted up with no issues.

I know this is an old post but can you post some pictures of this set up?

#7 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted August 14, 2015 - 08:51 AM

I know this is an old post but can you post some pictures of this set up?

I think I have several photos but have not been able to find them yet.

#8 CRE1992 OFFLINE  

CRE1992
  • Member No: 11285
  • 28 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted August 19, 2015 - 06:05 PM

I think I have several photos but have not been able to find them yet.

If you happen to find them, please post them I am interested to see!