• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,604 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted December 01, 2012 - 08:23 AM

I believe it is .020 on the points. Here's the manual attached.

Attached Files

• MH81 and robert_p43 have said thanks

#17 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted December 01, 2012 - 10:41 AM

Thanks Daniel. That ought ta do it.

#18 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted December 01, 2012 - 08:39 PM

I put in a brand new spark plug today along with the gas tank and turned on the flow. Waited a few minutes and pulled the recoil a few times. I still wasn't able to get it started.
I also got a chance to visit someone who showed me a tractor almost like mine. His was a custom 10. His has the solid state ignition and electric start. He cranked it and the belt just spun. He re-tried about 6 or 8 times saying he needs a new belt. Then it grabbed and I swear the engine didn't turn more that 1 complete revolution and it was running. This gave me hope as if will start as slowly as it cranked, then mine should be capable of starting with the recoil. May need some work yet but I am willing to learn as I go.

#19 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted December 01, 2012 - 11:37 PM

The early HH100 has a compression release that should allow you to turn it over pretty quick with the recoil. Once everything is tuned in, you shouldn't fight with it much.

I have a few recoil tractors and I absolutely hate cranking on them to troubleshoot. I can't suggest the following, as it's about as unsafe as it gets, but I take either a 1725, 3/4 Hp electric (I always try to brace the motor from the tire with a 2x6) or another tractor ( just above idle), triple check to make sure I've got rotation right and couple them up with a belt.
  • robert_p43 said thank you

#20 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted December 02, 2012 - 08:24 AM

This engine does not have the big pulley on the flywheel side or.......I would be tempted on putting a starter generator on till I get the bugs worked out.

#21 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted December 02, 2012 - 08:26 AM

Oh, I put my belt on the output shaft side. Have to take off the snow blower cover part of the grill, but it works fine.

#22 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted December 03, 2012 - 02:51 PM

Frank came by and we workrd on the tractor a bit today. I pulled the shroud off again and reset the magneto a little tighter as I read .006 to .010. I had used a business card and it was just a tad over .010. It is within specs now I believe. He checked the points using my home made .020 feeler guage and agreed that it was right on. ( I used a strip of business card, putting on layers of scotch tape till it miced at .020.) A third man stopped by to fill my cistern with water and he sugested a little gas right down the spark plug hole. We tried that and it popped. He thought the pop came from the carb so sugested we close up the points a little and set them with a match book. I did that. A little gas again and it popped. This time, I knew it came out the exhaust as I felt it on my hand. Still won't run though. ARGHHHHHHHHH!

#23 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted December 03, 2012 - 06:49 PM

Be very, very careful running that plug in & out. Dad has a log splitter he used to do that with all the time and he eventually wore/stripped the threads out. had to have the aluminum heli-coiled.

Try sufficating the carb with the palm of your hand for two or three pulls. See if that gets enough gas in there. Just don't do it to much as you dont want to flood anything.

#24 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted December 11, 2012 - 01:02 PM

Just so as not to leave you lingering, wondering what's happened, I thought I would add a quick update. After we had gotten it to "Pop" and trying different points settings, I went back to the .020 setting and I have spark but still no fire. I decided it is time to get the head off and check out the condition of the valves and cylinder and clean it up some. I believe that perhaps there is some carbon, maybe just a fleck, keeping a valve from sealing well. Since I have to remove so much, and If I need to have it apart for any length of time, I don't want to do it in the back yard. I don't want to loose anything or lose track of anything. My son in law is coming tomorrow to help me clean and organize my shed and set up some metal shelving and my tools so I don't have to keep carrying everything back and forth. Then we'll push the tractor inside and I can get back to work on it.

#25 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted December 11, 2012 - 05:13 PM

Did you super choke (hand over) or try a motor to help start it? If you have spark, you should get fire.

As for the compression... there is an intentional release happening in there. Don't let it throw you. The exhaust cam opens the valve a little at (it think) the half way point of the compression stroke to make it startable. Centripetal force (after it's at idle speed or above) will close the valve all the way & keep it there during compression.

#26 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted December 11, 2012 - 08:38 PM

I have nothing to use to try starting with a belt, so for now, that's out. I also can't pull and choke with my hand at the same time. Maybe when my SIL is here, we will try that and I just might get to drive it into the building. Either way, it sure will be great to have a place to work on that and other things out of the weather, where there are tools, lights, and power outlets handy.
  • MH81 said thank you

#27 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted December 13, 2012 - 06:13 PM

So, how did the cleanup & reorganization go?

#28 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted December 13, 2012 - 06:56 PM

Not as I had hoped but made good headway. We also have an enclosed porch that is just storage space. I went through a lot of that yesterday and threw out a ton. Brandon did make it by this afternoon and we got my chop saw and stand cleaned up, and my table saw. Those got moved to the porch along with other stuff and he carried out a crib and old childs bed for me and we filled the truck and made a dump run. I may have gotten more accomplished but everything we did had to be explained to a 4 year old grandaughter. Also the required trips in for juice boxes, cheese sticks and of course, the potty. :D

#29 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted December 13, 2012 - 07:15 PM

I may have gotten more accomplished but everything we did had to be explained to a 4 year old grandaughter. Also the required trips in for juice boxes, cheese sticks and of course, the potty. :D

Even if you had gotten nothing done, it would have worth every juice box and potty run.
Glad you had a good day.

#30 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted December 13, 2012 - 08:32 PM

Oh yes. The first she asked was, "Did you get the new tractor running yet?" She is excited that we will be using it in the garden her and I will have in the next season. She loves riding on the lawn tractor with me, but I don't mow if she's around. She also loves to plant, who cares if I need to thin all of a package of tomato seeds but 6, in a six pack flat when they sprout. LOL When she was 2, she transplanted 12, well, 11 brocolli plants from flats as I made holes in the bed for them. Only lost 1 plant due to over-excitement.
  • MH81 said thank you