• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,290 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted August 18, 2010 - 09:39 PM

I am going to be in our local clubs' tractor tour this weekend. I will be driving my 1946 MH81. It doesn't have any trouble keeping up but it got me to thinking if I could get a GT up to speed. The unit has to be able to do at least 10 MPH for 20-25 miles. If it starts to rain, they have been known to pick it up a "little". Anyone ever try this before? Am I just asking for more trouble & frustration than it's worth? Talk me out of this before I start another project I don't have time for. :smile1:

#2 AcreFarm OFFLINE  

AcreFarm

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 54
  • 109 Thanks
  • 359 posts

Posted August 18, 2010 - 10:02 PM

I've been down the modified lt/gt road once or twice... If the tractor in question is a hydrostatic, stop now while it still moves. If it's a gear driven machine you have in mind, changing the gear ratio will change your top speed. Smaller pulley on the transaxle, or larger on the crankshaft will get you a higher top speed. Keep in mind, the average GT was not designed for speeds much over 7mph... as such the brakes and steering are only sufficient for those speeds. (and sometimes, not even that much.) The transaxle or transmission is also susceptible to damage if simply over-driven. Better lube will go a long way in keeping things rolling. :pushmower:
  • MH81 said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,290 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted August 19, 2010 - 06:45 AM

Yeah, my goal is not to just beat one to death. I was wondering about the longevity vs original design parameters. I assume one could get away with it for "a while" but I was hoping not to condemn the poor thing. Bigger tires would help too I guess... Probably better to get off my lazy backside & organize my own 5 mph tour huh?:bounce:

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted August 19, 2010 - 08:05 AM

Get a Massey with a Sundstrand hydro....they fly! My Bush Hog D4-10 also kicks up some speed. I think both will do 10mph easy enough.

#5 brzezinski01 OFFLINE  

brzezinski01

• Contributor
  • Member No: 632
  • 4 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted August 19, 2010 - 10:41 AM

Get a Massey with a Sundstrand hydro....they fly! My Bush Hog D4-10 also kicks up some speed. I think both will do 10mph easy enough.

I agree, the d4-10 is pretty fast.

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 19, 2010 - 10:57 AM

Yeah,I've never clocked mine,but I know my 1655 will do 10 MPH with ease.

#7 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted August 19, 2010 - 11:17 AM

Put a set of 30.5x32 ag threads on that puppy and it will Fly.
Wonder if Gene has any in stock.

#8 AcreFarm OFFLINE  

AcreFarm

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 109 Thanks
  • 359 posts

Posted August 19, 2010 - 07:18 PM

Those big hydros can get after it, my Cub 782 will go faster than most sane operators would want it to. I bet it's close to 10mph. I wanted to point out that over-driving a hydrostatic will not increase its top speed.
MH81 if the rear end is sound to begin with, you can definitely get away with it for a while. I beat the fire out of an old Craftsman LT for years before the original transaxle went kaput. I even drove it to town (about 3 miles each way) and to work (7 miles each way) multiple times :orangecool:

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted August 19, 2010 - 07:22 PM

I even drove it to town (about 3 miles each way) and to work (7 miles each way) multiple times :orangecool:

Did ya lose your drivers license or what? LOL That's quite a ride at 7 miles (x2) on a mower!

#10 AcreFarm OFFLINE  

AcreFarm

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 109 Thanks
  • 359 posts

Posted August 19, 2010 - 07:46 PM

Nope, had a license the whole time (although driving a mower in town may have been a good way to lose it!) I used to ride it around the 'block' just for fun during the warm months. I drove it to work a couple times, mostly because I was told that I wouldn't or couldn't.
My parents lived about a mile away and I used to commute to and from their house with it too. And of course there were some ATV trails I couldn't stay away from. Ah, the joys of being a redneck :rofl2: Dan 7 miles isn't bad at 25-30 MPH. The rides home by headlights were a bit.... different.

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted August 19, 2010 - 07:52 PM

Nope, had a license the whole time (although driving a mower in town may have been a good way to lose it!) I used to ride it around the 'block' just for fun during the warm months. I drove it to work a couple times, mostly because I was told that I wouldn't or couldn't.
My parents lived about a mile away and I used to commute to and from their house with it too. And of course there were some ATV trails I couldn't stay away from. Ah, the joys of being a redneck :rofl2: Dan 7 miles isn't bad at 25-30 MPH. The rides home by headlights were a bit.... different.

I forgot you geared her up! I know a guy who lost his drivers license due to many DUI's. Then he started driving to get his liquor on his tractor. He literally drove a rear tire off it in a drunken stupor going home. My son used to date his daughter years ago....glad they broke up!

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,290 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted August 19, 2010 - 09:13 PM

Seeing the information that sundstrand hydro's will move right along, I thought again about this mystery Hydro I have. I finally called the guys son & he said the tractor was an AMF, with a 20 Hp Kohler. He thought it was shaft drive to the rear end... I did some google searches & found a similar (maybe smaller) unit.
Posted Image
The tractor is long gone, 10 years ago, My dad & I even delivered it so, maybe somewhere near Jamestown PA it's sitting in a garage restored.

I don't need to make a super-GT, but I have this new rear end, just sitting there...calling to me. Maybe when the voices get a little louder :worshippy1:

#13 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 08, 2011 - 03:50 AM

I did some math with my Craftsman GT18 and determined that by upgrading the tire size to 26 diameter over the 23 i gain a new top speed of nearly 10 mph (not real sure cause I did seat of my pants math by guessing the original speed). I will actually be mounting up said tires next week so I will let you know what my speed is before and after. The method I will be using is installing my Garmin GPS to the hood when I drive it because the Garmin will use satellites to track my exact speed (not the intended use on a garden tractor but you get to thinking and it makes too much sense lol).

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,290 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted January 08, 2011 - 08:18 AM

The method I will be using is installing my Garmin GPS to the hood when I drive it because the Garmin will use satellites to track my exact speed (not the intended use on a garden tractor but you get to thinking and it makes too much sense lol).

I appreciate the update, and watch out for the little checkered flag when you get to you destination. It just kinda pops out at you :D

#15 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted January 08, 2011 - 01:16 PM

On my Massey 10 garden tractor projects when I put the 6.70x15 rear tires on them I'll bet they go over 10 miles per hour. Those size rear tires are 27 inches high and I use Dodge caravan spare tire rims which are 15 inch and have the correct 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern to bolt right up to the garden tractor hubs.
  • MH81 said thank you