Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

This Is One Of The Coolest Things I've Ever Seen.....

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted November 24, 2012 - 04:14 PM

If I were to ever do any sort of modification, I'd like something like the Arps Half track.

https://www.google.c...iw=1523&bih=703

They were made for a number of farm tractors, but I bet that they would work nice on a Large Frame as well.

#17 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted November 24, 2012 - 09:23 PM

I was going to build one but the problem is you need SNOW and at least a foot i thought of building one with 2 big propane cylinders and Hydro drives from a Toro / exmark zero turn (as the drive and pump can be remote mounted ) and maybe a 11 hp honda engine but there is nowhere near enough snow and enough funds AH maybe some day

#18 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 12:14 AM

Neat stuff, never seen the second one before either, the Chyrysler Amphibious unit... Cool machine.... Thanks !

Edited by marlboro180, November 25, 2012 - 12:14 AM.

#19 kwj427 OFFLINE  

kwj427

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 389
  • 56 Thanks
  • 136 posts

Posted January 02, 2013 - 11:01 AM

i had have seen the first video, but not the sceond one either? looks like a good idea though?

#20 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted January 02, 2013 - 01:26 PM

Ryan, think, think, please try and remember where that pic came from.

Need to see more about that one.

#21 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 02, 2013 - 01:36 PM

Well this may date me some. But while I have never seen the video I do remember seeing the second vehicle years ago in eithe Popular Mechanics or Popular Science. If I remeber correctly it was an experimental landing craft for the military that did not get past testing?

I can see why it never was produced! That's not what we would call Envoirnmentally Friendly. Cutting Ruts like that would sure contribute to erosion and silting problems.

Edited by JD DANNELS, January 02, 2013 - 01:44 PM.

#22 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted January 02, 2013 - 01:49 PM

Ryan, think, think, please try and remember where that pic came from.

Need to see more about that one.

Another teaser picture:

Screw drive Tractor.jpg

The thread I found it in is useless, links don't work, photos missing, etc. Remember folks, linked photos will one day disappear. Embedded photos ('Attach Files' option) stay here.

• IamSherwood said thank you

#23 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted January 02, 2013 - 02:44 PM

Well this may date me some. But while I have never seen the video I do remember seeing the second vehicle years ago in eithe Popular Mechanics or Popular Science. If I remeber correctly it was an experimental landing craft for the military that did not get past testing?

I can see why it never was produced! That's not what we would call Envoirnmentally Friendly. Cutting Ruts like that would sure contribute to erosion and silting problems.

ROTFLMAO And an Abrams M1 A1 doesn't lol.

#24 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted January 02, 2013 - 03:24 PM

Cool Chrysler vid.You can NOT kill those old 225 and 255 Slant 6 engines.I miss my old Plymouth Volare wagon with it's 225 slant 6.Great on gass and never died even with 2 fist sized hols in the block from a blown rod.Dang thing would NOT die even when I tried to finish the poor thing off.No oil and an hour with the throttle pegged to the floor and it ran out of gas and shut off.

Ended up getting a wrecked Plymouth Valiant with a 255 slant 6 and stuck the engine in the wagon and sold it.This was over 20 years ago and the guy that I sold it to is still driving it.

#25 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 02, 2013 - 03:24 PM

ROTFLMAO And an Abrams M1 A1 doesn't lol.

Well I don't want anyone to run one of those over my acerage either! :wave:   I got agrevated enough when looked out the window yesterday and saw 4X4 tracks across the hillside. Then eased up a little when it occured to me that my son must have been testing his 4 runner. He's too big for me to whip, so I guess I'll let it go? :thumbs:

Edited by JD DANNELS, January 02, 2013 - 03:36 PM.

#26 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 02, 2013 - 03:26 PM

Cool Chrysler vid.You can NOT kill those old 225 and 255 Slant 6 engines.I miss my old Plymouth Volare wagon with it's 225 slant 6.Great on gass and never died even with 2 fist sized hols in the block from a blown rod.Dang thing would NOT die even when I tried to finish the poor thing off.No oil and an hour with the throttle pegged to the floor and it ran out of gas and shut off.

Ended up getting a wrecked Plymouth Valiant with a 255 slant 6 and stuck the engine in the wagon and sold it.This was over 20 years ago and the guy that I sold it to is still driving it.

I agree! Have owned many Mopar Slants and consider it the best engine they ever made.

#27 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted January 02, 2013 - 04:00 PM

That wheelhorse was a bear to contol I bet. How you steer such a thing?  WH does'n't have twin brakes, so can't do that. Doesn't look like two drives, think I'm seeing orig trans with gear adapter for drive??  Not sitting on a trailer, so must have gotten there under own power?? 

I've like Slant Six too.  Bought many with that fist sized hole in block, right in center. some still ran too!  Most in junkyard had the same hole. Must have been common weakness there. All seemed to have around 100,000 miles when they blew. I loved the Sporty Darts with six and 4 barrel carb and sort of headers all stock Mopar offerings, with shift on the floor too. Vroooom! on a budget, ha!

#28 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 02, 2013 - 04:11 PM

We had a few of those old dodge slant 6's when I was growing up. Great engine. The worst problem was the ballast resistors. The Aspen/Volare had serious rust issues up here and are commonly known as the worst car Chrysler ever made. A friend had one and there were rust holes in the fenders in less than 2 yrs. Even worse than the rusty Fords of the late 60's early 70's. 

That amphibious rig works great on soft terrain but I'm thinking it wouldn't do well on rock or hard surfaces. 

#29 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted January 03, 2013 - 10:50 PM

i think building one would be cool but i dont know where i would keep it in the summer and id have to hope we got enought snow to use it a couple times a winter

#30 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted January 04, 2013 - 02:09 AM

We had a few of those old dodge slant 6's when I was growing up. Great engine. The worst problem was the ballast resistors. The Aspen/Volare had serious rust issues up here and are commonly known as the worst car Chrysler ever made. A friend had one and there were rust holes in the fenders in less than 2 yrs. Even worse than the rusty Fords of the late 60's early 70's. 

That amphibious rig works great on soft terrain but I'm thinking it wouldn't do well on rock or hard surfaces. 

I've never had problems with the resistors on any of the 30+ Mopars I've had. The only issue I've had is Chryslers attempt at "computerizing" their ignition system (Lean Burn). Talk about a pile. Don't know how many I've bought for a song just because they didn't run right. Just throw in an old control module system and they ran like a top. What a guy needs to find is one of the slant six Mopars they exported to Australia in the late sixties. You could get a super charger as an option on them. Seen  one years ago at the Mopar car show up here and boy did that thing sound awesome!