#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted November 23, 2012 - 07:39 PM

Gettin' too old to squat down to floor to work on things it seems. Knees going bad, lower back, balancing and etc. I hear of fellas making lifts or tables to work on. SO, looking for diff options. I'm assumming one would want to work all the way around it to work on all sides. Rather than going nuts on a hyddraulic lift, would guess my options are ramps then? How high should one build such a table? Seems to work on engines and still reach dash controls you wouldn't really need it too high. Home counters are 36" or close, seems a bit tall. 24" is about to knees and seems just a little too low. Would give you that "just a little Lean" that makes back-aches fast. Jack stands alone arent high enough, or would be trouble to get jacked up to them. With table tho, sometimes you would want to remove wheels and just have axle/frames on it. Guess you could use small jack-stands then? Width again might be diff between sizes of tractors. SO, does one make it for the biggest width tractor and reach for rest? OR>...some kind of pull-out sides for the bigger ones? OR, angle iron on ends to be able to lay boards up to it to make wider temporarily? I suppose some sort of stop would be good on front to keep from driving off, yet would have to be low enough so as not to be in way when doing some front axle or other work there. Make it removable then? Kinda like stake sides on a wagon say? Guess casters would be OUT, specially when loading it if driving up on it! Would be nice tho to roll out of way when not using it. Is there any neat little flip-up or under caster mounts to use to store, and flip when using for work? Open to seeing some other guys tables and or ramps and ideas. Hmmmm! Could put outlets in base on each side to plug in lights and drills and such too. Just have ONE cord to the wall laying on floor? Make it of wood (my choice) or metal? Hmmm! Big wheels on one end like a wheelbarrow and longer handles you could maybe take out or off for other end?? Movable AND stable with other end down on floor!

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted November 23, 2012 - 08:12 PM

One of these days I will own an ATV lift table for such things. Gets harder every year getting up & down from low positions. This one has a 1,500lb capacity and runs $1100 plus freight. Lots of money, but my joints are worth it if I can ever swing the purchase.

Attached Thumbnails

• Redline_1500XL_Motorcycle_Lift.jpg

• tractorman604 said thank you

#3 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted November 23, 2012 - 08:25 PM

One of these days I will own an ATV lift table for such things. Gets harder every year getting up & down from low positions. This one has a 1,500lb capacity and runs $1100 plus freight. Lots of money, but my joints are worth it if I can ever swing the purchase.

I agree!! I have seen those used for many things other than ATV's and they seem to hold up pretty well. One day one will be found in my shop as well.....

#4 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted November 23, 2012 - 08:29 PM

My son bought a heavy duty one and it is awesome! His was nearly new and he got it for just $600 with extension sides & all.

#5 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted November 23, 2012 - 09:02 PM

How about a Rotisserie like one of these.

DSC_0194.jpg DSC_0192.jpg
100_7637.JPG 100_1250.jpg
IMG_5545.JPG
IMG_5531.JPG IMG_5532.JPG
  • sacsr, Nato77 and LilysDad have said thanks

#6 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted November 23, 2012 - 09:15 PM

I have a HF lift table I use for my rider by bolting a chain hook on the end of and a short chain to lift the front end up to 36" high to remove and sharpen blades.
Mike

#7 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted November 23, 2012 - 09:21 PM

Here's a Video of one.

• tractorman604 and marlboro180 have said thanks

#8 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,647 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted November 23, 2012 - 09:59 PM

Well I have to say the a pretty sweet set up you got there, works for cars so why not a smaller version for GTs. Watched the video and was wondering how you got the frame (the GT) on the rotisserie? You lift it up with the table first then attach the rotisserie frame to the table?
I got a 6000# lift at my shop for cars and trucks, but seems I got something always on it. Never tried to put a GT on it ,but sure I could get something figured out.

Edited by Nato77, November 23, 2012 - 10:02 PM.

#9 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted November 23, 2012 - 11:17 PM

My plan is to build something like this. Add structure/support where needed, but the frame is 4x4's and the deck boards (2x6's) are removable.
Lift table 1.png
Drive up the ramps, onto the deck, remove all the boards not under wheels & it's pretty exposed on all sides.

#10 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,927 posts

Posted November 23, 2012 - 11:56 PM

I got a 6000# lift at my shop for cars and trucks, but seems I got something always on it. Never tried to put a GT on it ,but sure I could get something figured out.

I'm working on stuff at my place and not at yours? Why???????????

PS - do you have a popcorn machine in your shop? I can bring mine if necessary.......

#11 schweitz OFFLINE  

schweitz

• Member No: 3045
  • 17 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted November 24, 2012 - 12:45 AM

I quite often just hook front or back frame onto engine hoist and lift it to near 45 angle or more for restoration projects or adjustments/rpr of intact tractor. Works great for pressure washing, etc.

Would post a pic, but haven't figured that one out yet - Lee

#12 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,647 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted November 24, 2012 - 01:31 AM

I'm working on stuff at my place and not at yours? Why???????????

PS - do you have a popcorn machine in your shop? I can bring mine if necessary.......

I have a shop 7 miles from my place where I do body/mechanic work. Don't have a shed big enough to work on semis and cars at home. Would love to be able to do that , but $ and not enough land are keeping me from building the shed I want.
I do most of my wrenching on GTs at home, but sometimes it a pain to drive 14 miles just to weld something and come back to find it won't work the way I did it and have to repeat the process. In due time I'll get a bigger shop at home.

#13 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 24, 2012 - 07:09 AM

I was thinking of building something that could double as a GT parking spot during the winter. I had in mind to make a ramp type lift where one end was elevated and supported by an axle. The other end would be low so it would look like a ramp. You drive or push/pull the GT onto it and then use a floor jack to raise that end and lock it into place, remove the jack and you are done. It wouldn't have to be much bigger than a Gt's wheelbase and if a tractor was parked there it wouldn't use any extra space. You could even use one of those motorized trailer jacks to raise and lower it if you wanted to get fancy. I haven't gotten any further than just thinking about it at this point. I'm sure this thread will lead to lots of great ideas. The rotator is sweet for a full restoration. It would have been a lot easier to paint the frame of my 317 on that then on the saw horses I used.

#14 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,688 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted November 24, 2012 - 08:06 AM

I hear of fellas making lifts or tables to work on. SO, looking for diff options....

This is pretty simple to make. I've seen a commercial version that was lifted with a cable wench and pulleys, too.

http://www.totallyam...ft/SledLift.htm

#15 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,688 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted November 24, 2012 - 08:11 AM

IMG_5545.JPG

>snort< Who among you will turn your tractor over, forgetting to drain the oil first???
  • marlboro180 said thank you