spark plug stator

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 michael1968 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9479
  • 18 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted November 23, 2012 - 04:38 PM

i was wondering if i could get some advice on a jd 110 electric system, specifically the sparking and the voltage regulator. i was trying to sell my jd 110 today and a friend of mine was interested. he comes over to see if he's intersted in it and it wont start. the pulg wouldnt spark and the plug was good. my friend says it is stator problem. i was interested to know if this has ever happened to anyone and how you handlened.

#2 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,653 Thanks
  • 8,527 posts

Posted November 23, 2012 - 06:09 PM

Micheal the first thing I would do is put a spark testing light on to see if I'm getting any fire. You can get one from HF pretty cheap. If you don't have any fire then disconnect your wires from the tractor to the engine, Then run a jumper from the positive side to the starter and negative to the engine block and see if the engine will start. If it does your problem is with the wiring in the tractor, if not then you have a problem with your coil more then likely or that plug is no good.

If it turns out to be a wiring problem on the tractor side take a meter and read out the seat switch that is usually the culprit.

#3 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted November 23, 2012 - 08:19 PM

Usually any spark issue I've had has been with the magnetto being covered with rust and usually the magnets on the flywheel along with it. I'm not overly advanced in the workings of JD's but it seems my issue has always been resolved with cleaning magnetto, flywheel, points, condenser...etc....

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 24, 2012 - 06:53 AM

I would head to the points first if there are no obvious broken wires or other problems. I've seen my K321 start one day and not the next due to having bad points. Sometimes they are just out of adjustment.

#5 Trav1s ONLINE  

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,586 Thanks
  • 3,739 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 10:26 AM

That '68 has a different set-up then the '63-'67 tractors with the starter/generator. I would begin with the basics like confirming the points good and are set correctly, the condenser is good, and the coil is good. If you have fire then fuel is the next item to check. If you can establish it is getting fuel and fire it can be several items. Don't worry about those until you figure out the first two.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: spark plug, stator