Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted November 22, 2012 - 05:09 PM

Well, I didn't get as much done today as I wanted to :(

Installing the new dash turned out to be more of a of project than I thought it would be, so I did't get to the rest of the things I was wanting to do today.

Wasn't anything that was hard...just time consuming, plus I was figuring out what I was needing to do as I went along.

I got all the switches, etc. removed/disconnected and put the new dash on, When I went to put the Temp gauge in the dash, I ran into a problem. Couldn't see any way to get the connection to the thermocouple in the block loose, so ended up taking the dash back off...taking the thermocouple out of the block, threading it thru the hole in the dash, then reinstalled the thermocouple in the block, and then remounted the dash. It was the good old 3 steps forward 3 steps back routine. :rolling:

Anyway, as I got to the last thing, putting the ignition switch back in, I ran into yet another problem. The ignition switch needs a larger hole than is in the dash. I'm going to have to work on that, but for the time being I can open the hood, hold the body of the switch and get the tractor started. In the vid, you will notice a ticking after the engine shuts down. That's the fuel pump, and I didn't get the hood open and the switch to off until after the vid ended.

Anyhow here's the vid. If you check out the the first minute or so of the walk around vid you can compare the difference.

Edited by OldBuzzard, November 22, 2012 - 05:14 PM.

#2 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted November 22, 2012 - 08:42 PM

Nice ! That old Dash was pretty mangled Would a 1886 or Ht series muffler fit ? I thought i might have seen a Hdt1000 pop up on kijiiji Ontario a while ago I just thought it was a repowered ht23 The add was up for a Short time and then gone So there might Be 3 on the lose Yay i cant wait to get my Kubota diesel for the 1256D project :) How does that rig start in the cold ?
Cheers
Ty

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,536 posts

Posted November 22, 2012 - 10:25 PM

Nice work. Is the HDT1000 a prototype? What other machines used that diesel engine?

#4 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,208 Thanks
  • 5,217 posts

Posted November 22, 2012 - 10:29 PM

Nice work. Is the HDT1000 a prototype? What other machines used that diesel engine?

No it is not a prototype.

#5 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted November 22, 2012 - 11:13 PM

What wilber said :D

The HTD1000 was made for export to foreigh countries, hence the multi-language decals. It was a production machine. You can find a passing reference to it in the Large Frame Service Manual where they have one page giving the specs on it. Other than that, it's never mentioned in any other Bolens literature that I have been able to find.

Some of the other Bolens models did use 3-cyl Mitsubishi diesels, but none used the K3D which is rated at 22Hp. I know that the DGT1700 and some of the "Iseki Bolens"used Mitsubishi diesels, but they all used either the K3A (15Hp) or K3B (17Hp) engines.

8thman8: I wouldn't be surprised that some would show up in Canada since they were an export model. As for cold starting...nooooooooo problem. It has glow plugs :D:D:D Plus, a PO also added an inline water heater to heat the coolant.

It, and suprisingly enough my Ht20D (which is notorious for not starting in cold weather), fired up the other day at 28F, -2C

#6 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted November 23, 2012 - 01:49 PM

Thats the only thing i am concerned about With my Diesel repower Is cold starting (as im in Canada ) is not uncommon for it to get around -35 c (-31f) (dont want to think about that tho) from what i understand the Kubota's are good in cold weather Do those tractors have Good battery's in them ?

#7 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted November 23, 2012 - 03:34 PM

Well, if it gets to -30 here there danged sure wont be any tractor seat time involved... that would be a two, or possibly three dog night, and I'll be staying under the covers :rolling:

I am planning on using Opti-Lube XPD in my fuel though. It's supposed to be good to -20F (-28C), which should be good enough for my location. They do have a "Winter Blend" that is supposed to be good to -50F (-45C). Here's a link to the Opti-Lube site:
http://opti-lube.com/index.php/

The main reason for using the Opti-Lube XPD is for lubrication. Both of my diesels were designed for LSD fuel, which had more lubrication for things like the fuel pump, injectors, etc.

Heres an independent test/study which pointed me to the Opti-Lube products. Very interesting reading.
http://www.dieselpla...ad.php?t=177728