• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 farmgineer OFFLINE  

farmgineer

• Member No: 1031
  • 0 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted August 18, 2010 - 12:34 PM

My Snapper 1600A is a non hydro unit so you have to manually raise/lower implements such as mower/tiller/blower. I have all three implements. I have only tried to mount the tiller and it is VERY difficult to lift. I would say too difficult - two hands and lean into it. I cannot imagine this is how it should be. I am wondering if there is an alternate configuration of some of the linkages for lifting the tiller or blower versus the mowing deck. Or is it all the same? I do not see anything in my original manual but it only refers to the deck and not to other implements. I do not have manuals for the implements. Does someone know? Most of you guys have hydro units. Anybody know where I can get my hand on manuals for the implements? I have been to the Snapper website and I can find part's manuals for implements but not operation manuals for them.

Thanks in advance!

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted August 18, 2010 - 12:44 PM

I would imagine it had some sort of "helper springs" that did some of the work for you. I know the MF10's & 12's had helper springs as well as most other makes. I don't have a manual, but I am sure helper springs would be the case.

#3 farmgineer OFFLINE  

farmgineer

• 0 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted August 18, 2010 - 12:50 PM

Thanks for that tip olcowhand, that makes sense. There is some kind of a spring hanger on it but looks like there should have been two. I also don't see where they would hook up. I would think to the tractor frame somehow, but where? If I could just see one setup or even one similar that might help.

I should probably also mention that the model is a MF3650 and it is belt driven. The belt comes off a drive adaptor from the rear PTO. It has a belt pulley that runs 90 degrees to the PTO drive. I think you might call this a mule drive? Just thought these details might help me find other users of similar setups.

#4 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted August 18, 2010 - 04:28 PM

If you remove the saddle cover between the seat and dash tower on the left hand side there is a helper spring. There is an adjustment nut that allows you to adjust how much the spring gives you. If this doesn't work, just ship me the tiller and I'll try it on my MF1600. Shoot, I'll even pay half the shipping. Good luck.

#5 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted August 19, 2010 - 08:02 AM

Check and see if you have the helper spring. I have a 1200 Massey/snapper and it has quuite a stiff spring to help lift the attachmnents. I know a tiller is going to be heavy to lift but as stiff as the spring is on my tractor I am sure it would certainly help take a lot of effort out of lifting the tiller.

#6 farmgineer OFFLINE  

farmgineer

• 0 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted August 19, 2010 - 09:33 AM

Check and see if you have the helper spring. I have a 1200 Massey/snapper and it has quuite a stiff spring to help lift the attachmnents. I know a tiller is going to be heavy to lift but as stiff as the spring is on my tractor I am sure it would certainly help take a lot of effort out of lifting the tiller.

I have the spring that tinnern is refering to above (the one under the seat) but that is the only heavy spring present. This is the main implement lift spring that works with the lift arm on the back. That alone doesn't seem to be enough to lift the tiller though. Then there are two holes on either side of the tiller and one has a very light spring on it and it is missing from the other hole. Not sure if this is an assist spring or not due to it's size but I do not see any other purpose for it. I also do not see what I would hook it up to? I am very curious to understand the setup on your 1200. What spring are you referring to and where is it located?

Attaching an image that might help.100_6537_e.jpg

#7 farmgineer OFFLINE  

farmgineer

• 0 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted August 19, 2010 - 09:41 AM

If you remove the saddle cover between the seat and dash tower on the left hand side there is a helper spring. There is an adjustment nut that allows you to adjust how much the spring gives you. If this doesn't work, just ship me the tiller and I'll try it on my MF1600. Shoot, I'll even pay half the shipping. Good luck.

I will see if I can tighten that spring up. It is set for the deck but maybe it can be set to do more for the tiller. As for shipping from central ontario to Texas... well what can I say but hope you could builld one from scratch for what half the shipping costs would be! LOL