UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,778 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 07:51 PM

I was cutting some side rails off of a trailer today and I had on a pair of sun glasses. I completely forgot to swap them out for safety glasses. Usually I do but it just didn't cross my mind for some reason. As I was merrily cutting along with the angle grinder with a cutting wheel I felt a tug from the grinder then watched in slow motion as a chink of the cutting wheel came back at me and hit my glasses in the right lens. There was a loud ping as the lens snapped in half. For a second I thought I was going to have to go to the er because my face stung above and below the glasses.

Fortunately the glasses took all the impact although it split the lens fright down the middle. And my face is just a beautiful as it was before. I immediately changed to a pair of safety glasses.

Good news is I had an identical pair of Serengeti Glasses that I broke the left lens on.

Posted Image
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 08:13 PM

It's easy to forget eye protection when you are busy. My favourite trick is to have a face shield on while grinding then flip the shield up after I'm done, set up a weld then flip the shield down to weld. So far I've caught the mistake and put the welding helmet back on before striking an arc. That's one drawback of the auto darkening helmets I guess. I find cutting with a grinder is very dangerous as the discs have a short life and can fly apart with little or no warning. Sometimes it's the only way to cut something other than a hack saw.

#3 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 08:21 PM

I am glad you are ok! That could have been a real bad one! I always were mine now, I have gotten steel fragments removed from my eye 3 times over the years (not fun).

But... like I learned (the hard way!) a full face shield should be used when using an angle grinder. When mine kicked back at work it ripped the grinder out of my hands and into my face. It cut all the way through into my mouth! And I was wearing safety glasses but It hit my chin and side of my face. You should have seen my bosses face when I told him I" I think the grinder bit me" LOL.

#4 Enginerod OFFLINE  

Enginerod

• Member No: 1748
  • 205 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 08:23 PM

I used to wear prescription glasses until I had laser surgery and felt I never had to wear safety glasses because I already had glasses on, I was wrong. lol. I had metal removed from both eyes several times, a large piece of air chisel bit in my stomach that I performed self surgery on to remove( it was in probably 3/4") and another piece of chisel in my left wrist almost touching the bone that the doctor won't remove because of fear of doing more harm than good. I guess these are the dangers of being a mechanic for 30 years. The lesson is flying metal will penetrate your body very easily, be safe, I try to tell younger guys that using protective devices is a good idea, you may not wind up as lucky as me. LOL. Bill.

#5 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 08:24 PM

Glad to hear you're OK. I am guilty of "Usually" wearing glasses myself. I've been lucky and I know it. As I get older I am putting tools down to go get the glasses BEFORE I start using them. Wisdom with age I guess.

#6 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 11:37 PM

Glad you guys are all okay, as am I. Getting that crud ground outta yer eye is no fun at all, been there a couple times, even with protective eye wear.

Attached Thumbnails

• Safety glasses - welding BB damage.jpg
  • safety glasses.jpg

#7 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 11:50 PM

And it's not just high speed shop tools! I got a bleedin' hole right between my eyebrow and my eye right in the center from a piece of .095" string trimmer line. I wear fairly large size seeing glasses and it somehow came from the trimmer out in front of me around and in through the side and stuck into my head. I go full face or the full over the glasses goggles now.

Don't forget all us guys that have had steel taken out of our eyes... If you have to have a catscan or MRI be sure to tell the hospital first. Those magnets in the machines can do real damage if there's even the smallest piece of steel left in your eye that you can't even feel!
  • WHdbJD and marlboro180 have said thanks

#8 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 22, 2012 - 05:25 AM

Glad to hear you are alright.

#9 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted November 22, 2012 - 08:44 AM

Very glad to hear that there wasn't any damage done! I've had several pieces of metal extracted from my eyes and agree that it's no fun at all! I have graduated from safety glasses to a full face shield...and at work, I wear both!

#10 Enginerod OFFLINE  

Enginerod

• Member No: 1748
  • 205 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted November 22, 2012 - 08:59 AM

HydroHarold, A friend of mine only has one eye because of a string trimmer, I ALWAYS wear eye protection while running one.

#11 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted November 22, 2012 - 09:15 AM

Glad it was only the sunglasses damaged!
Be Careful!

#12 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • Member No: 10588
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted November 22, 2012 - 09:26 AM

mybigwarwagon, thaks for the reminder. I've never had anything like that happen to me over the years, probably because I haven't done that much work with some of the tools. I do try to remember to wear safety glasses though. This thread is an eye opener ( pun intended ) to anyone who uses any power tool at anytime. Thanks !

#13 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted November 22, 2012 - 11:37 AM

Yes this is good reminder, I try to remember to wear safety glasses. I've been reading the book "Welding for dummies" and the author suggest's that you put your safety glasses where you enter your shop and make it a habit to put them on as soon as you step in. Not a bad idea.
  • marlboro180 said thank you

#14 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,778 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted November 22, 2012 - 01:15 PM

I think I mam going to mount this lens on a board and hang it over my work bench. Or at least put a picture of it up there.

#15 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted November 22, 2012 - 01:20 PM

I think I mam going to mount this lens on a board and hang it over my work bench. Or at least put a picture of it up there.

The helmet I was wearing and the windshield that was on the bike when I had my crash about 2 years ago hang right where I can see them when I take the bike out of the shed. A good reminder to keep my mind on what I'm doing.