7 replies to this topic

#1 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,418 Thanks
  • 4,614 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 06:40 PM

With the good weather, I figured I'd get off my lazy butt and do some work on the HDT. :D :D :D

I had already bought some 'stuff' that I was needing, so it was time to get it all ready to go, and on the tractor.

I bought a muffler from TSC late last week, and yesterday took it up to my local Tuffy Muffler shop (the ones that helped me out with the 1886), and had some tubing cut and bent. When I took off the straight pipe that was on it, I found that it was split on the seam in the middle of the bend, and that the other side had a crack in it, so we 'canned' that and started with all new pipe. Around $30.00 later I left with the 'goodies' I needed to tame the 'bark' that it had with the straight pipe.

So today, I got the new exhaust system installed. The new muffler definitely tames the bark, but still leaves a very nice growl.

Then I moved the 3-pt from the 20D to the HDT, as I want to use the HDT for plow days. Had to make a trip to the local hardware store in the middle of that, as the bolts used to mount the bracket for the top link are 12mm instead of the 1/2" ones that the 20D uses. After I got the 3-pt all installed, I found that the levers for the hydraulics are stiffer than.... Well, they are STIFF and danged hard to move, so I hit them with some PBblaster. They freed up a little, but still way to hard to move, so I gave them another shot of PBblaster, and will work with them some more tomorrow.

If you remember from the pics, the dash was totally wasted. I had contacted Bob (bhts) and ordered a replacement dash. He had the plastic ones and a metal one or two. He recommended, and I agreed, that the metal one would be the best option. It was a bit more $$$ but it won't be subject to coming apart like the plastic ones.

Anyway, I still had to have some work done on it. Unlike the HT20D and HT23, the HDT1000 has two round gauges on the dash, so I had to get a 2" hole drilled in it to mount the second gauge. The problem with drilling that hole, was that the area where it goes is not flat. That area is where the choke lever would be on the Gas engined tractors and there are raised and drilled mounting holes and a reinforcement ridge back there. Luckily, my local 'mower repair' guy pointed me to a local machinist. He used a milling machine and $10.00 later there was a nice 2" hole for the Tach/Hr Meter. You can still see some of the original holes for the Choke lever, but like the HT20D, those will be covered up when I put the new decals on it.

I got home too late to install that so I'll get to it tomorrow.

Tomorrow is supposed to be even nicer, so I plan on:

Getting the 'new' dash installed. Installing the front PTO shaft (using new bearings that I also got from Bob), and re-assembling the Brinly KK-200 Planter.

I'll be sure to take some pics, and maybe a vid of the HDT running with the new exhaust.

I also ordered a pair of V61 tires for the front. Danged things weren't cheap...$75.00 ea. for the 6-plys. Well at least those should be the last front tires I'll ever need for it :D

I'll have to wait until next month to get the CST Ancla tires for the rear. Those will be filled with Rim Guard.
  • MH81 said thank you

• Member No: 10038
  • 4,676 Thanks
  • 4,224 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 06:47 PM

Sounds like you were very busy today, but getting a lot done to your GT.

Be sure to update us with pictures, as we all love pictures!

#3 LilysDad ONLINE  

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,242 Thanks
  • 7,473 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 07:22 PM

I can't wait to see the muffler!

#4 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 6,332 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 07:51 PM

You sure were busy. Sounds like you made good progress too. Looking forward to the low growl.

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,694 Thanks
  • 28,341 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 09:20 PM

Sounds like a great day. Looking forward to the pics and vid.

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 22, 2012 - 05:10 AM

Yes ,it does sound like you were busy.

#7 sacsr OFFLINE  

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,253 Thanks
  • 3,279 posts

Posted November 22, 2012 - 07:12 AM

Sounds like a successful day! Looking forward to seeing the pictures!

#8 grand OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted December 01, 2012 - 09:47 PM

It sure sounds like somebody has been busy. My projects would move along much faster, but I seem to end up with a thinner wallet than my projects will allow. Please keep us updated on your progress.