#1 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,520 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 06:26 PM

Every since I started this project I've been keeping my fingers crossed that this Yanmar was going to have the grunt needed to mow with. There is so much conflicting information on how many horsepower it's putting out that I really had no sure footing. The install went much easier than with the Kubota and the engine seems to start way easier.
Today it was in the low to middle 60's so I decided to install the Bolens 48" deck and take down it the ditch and give it a run for it's money. Needed to check the cooling under a heavy load so why not find out if it can pull the larger deck in tough dry ditch grass and weeds. I'm was very pleased with the results. I the toughest parts I had to slow down some but normally I could keep right on chugging without any problems. Engine temps. stayed in the normal operating range.
I have come up with a couple of minor changes that I'm going to make. The fan motor will be set to run after the engine is shut down so it doesn't push as much water into the overflow tank and to keep the head temps. lower and duct the intake nearer the intake to the radiator so it is in-taking cooler, cleaner air.
Set the simplicity and Bolens decks together and at first glance it looks the the swap over should work without too much hassle. In one of the photos below you can see the stripes that these decks leave even with new blades. Something I don't like. Also the front PTO guard was install after the photos were taken.
Hope all you folks have a safe and enjoyable Thanksgiving.
Bolens Diesel mowing 002.JPG
Bolens Diesel mowing 003.JPG
Bolens Diesel mowing 005.JPG
Bolens Diesel mowing 006.JPG
  • olcowhand, daytime dave and KennyP have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,489 Thanks
  • 39,723 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 06:31 PM

Looks good from Tulsa, Chris. Glad it is doing what you wanted.
  • Cvans said thank you

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 06:50 PM

For some reason Chris, I want to buy a GT2K to convert to diesel. I mean that diesel pretty much just fell right in, how easy is that. Great job on it, can't wait to see the rerigged mow decks.
  • Cvans said thank you

#4 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 07:54 PM

I'm glad it worked well for you. I see what you mean about those stripes.
  • Cvans said thank you

#5 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,520 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 09:32 PM

Casey these tractors can be had for very reasonable if you are patient and keep a sharp eye out for them. The most I have payed for either of mine was $400.00. They were acquired 2 years apart and and I just happen to stumble onto both of them on Craig's list.
Normally they ask $1400 to $2000 for them. The first one I paid $250 for because mice or rats had chewed the wiring all up and the guy didn't want to hassle with it. The first thing I do is cut the wiring harness out anyway so that was not an issue. This last one had the gearbox out on the deck. After using one as a loader tractor for two years I knew I would jump on another when it came along.
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 10:35 PM

Fast work on this entire project Chris! And I'll bet the blades won't leave such visible signs with growing green grass. Grass is so tough when in the dormant stage.
  • Cvans said thank you

#7 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 22, 2012 - 05:13 AM

That's great to hear it working good.
  • Cvans said thank you

#8 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,520 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted December 04, 2012 - 10:47 PM

Today I started on the conversion of the decks. The first photo is of the Bolens deck. I got a little ahead of the camera as part of the lift frame was already removed when I remembered to take a photo.
Decks 003.JPG

The next photo shows the Simplicity deck in all it's original glory.
Decks 004.JPG

And this is showing the Bolens lift frame and gearbox attached to the Simplicity deck. Also this appears to be the belt layout and it looks like I might even get away with the original Simplicity belt.
The front spindle will either have the shaft shortened or if there is another spindle around here will be replaced all together with one like the outer spindles.
Decks 008.JPG

It's about now that I wish the pressure washer wasn't put away for the winter. :wallbanging: