• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Slsoa OFFLINE  

Slsoa
  • Member No: 15529
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 07:26 AM

Craftsman model number 917.252540 with Kohler 14.5 HP engine. Tried to jump start the tractor recently and had the jumper cables backwards to the car! Burned the black wire near the oil filter until I figured out what was wrong. Eventually got the tractor started and it ran until the wire finally broke. Re-wired and ran it more another day. Now it is wired, but won't run at all and just discharges the battery.

Would love to be pointed in the right direction for repair. Thanks.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,303 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 07:54 AM

HERE is an Owners / Parts manual for the tractor. On page 29, there is a wiring schematic. You will want to start by tracing what that wire is attached to.

Looks like a diode in the charging circuit, might want to check that out, also Verify proper switch functions.

Hopefully the Stator and Ignition Module is OK.
  • Slsoa said thank you

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 08:01 AM

Welcome to GTT. You can possibly find a wiring diagram in the manuals section here. Then test each component and wire in the system until you find the problem. I make an extra copy of the diagram an mark off each piece as it is cleared.

Test for the battery drain by disconnecting the negative terminal and attaching a test light with probe to it. Then test for the place where its shorting. When the light comes on you have a complete circuit. Start at the positive terminal(to test the light) and work away from it. When there shouldn't be a circuit you've found the short. Good Luck

Edited by boyscout862, November 21, 2012 - 08:02 AM.

• sacsr and Slsoa have said thanks

#4 Slsoa OFFLINE  

Slsoa
  • Member No: 15529
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 02:05 PM

Don't have the right tool to do the wiring check yet....but can say that the 30 amp fuse blows as soon as I connect the battery. Solenoid shorted?

#5 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 02:23 PM

After looking at the wiring diagram, the problem is on the other side of the fuse. The red wire runs from the fuse to the amp gauge, through the gauge to the switch. At the switch there is two red wires connected together. The other red wire runs through a diode to the alternator. Either this diode has blown allowing current to travel through the alternator directly to ground or somewhere the red wire is worn and contacting the frame grounding out the system. I would start by tracing the red wire through it’s entire path from battery to alternator, looking for any bad spots where the insulation is compromised.

Edited by Bmerf, November 21, 2012 - 02:50 PM.

• MH81 and Slsoa have said thanks

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 05:42 PM

Just follow Bmerfs' directions. A test light is three dollars(with coupon) at Harbor Freight . You might want a multi meter too? Good Luck
  • Slsoa said thank you

#7 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted November 22, 2012 - 12:35 PM

Welcome to the form Sisoa. Follow the directions above, I think you fried a positive wire some where and it has grounded out blowing the fuse. This may help you to trouble shoot your system. Good Luck.
  • boyscout862 and Slsoa have said thanks

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted November 22, 2012 - 12:51 PM

I see that Sears has thier nice multimeter on sale today for $12. I've got one and it is real nice. I have found that the old(50s & 60s) Chiltons and Motors manuals have real good troubleshooting sections. They have always seemed to be very clear explanations to me.
  • Slsoa said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sears, craftsman, kohler, electrical