• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 salty OFFLINE  

salty

• Member No: 4266
  • 4 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted November 20, 2012 - 06:46 PM

I've been loaned a dead B112 to get some tilling done assuming I can get the tractor running. I've got strong consistent spark at the points when the engine is turning over and the "ignition" button is depressed. No spark at the points when the "ignition" button is not depressed. No spark at the plug. The wires disappearing through the shroud are prime suspects but it looks like I'll have to pull the motor to get the shroud off. Any suggestions on what I might test before going to all that trouble?

Thanks,

#2 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 20, 2012 - 09:13 PM

has this been rewired? The ignition button sounds like a kill switch but wired backwards. The wires going into the shroud should go to the mag. Pushing the kill switch will ground out the mag, causing no spark at the points. With no spark at the plug, my guess be open or shorted secondary on the mag if the plug wire looks good. The clip end will sometimes get rusty and cause problems.

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,795 Thanks
  • 7,541 posts

Posted November 20, 2012 - 09:42 PM

Doesn't it have a key switch for on and off and a push button for the starter?

#4 salty ONLINE  

salty

• Member No: 4266
  • 4 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted November 20, 2012 - 10:11 PM

has this been rewired? The ignition button sounds like a kill switch but wired backwards. The wires going into the shroud should go to the mag. Pushing the kill switch will ground out the mag, causing no spark at the points.

I'd wondered about that button myself but figured it was a way to get extra voltage across the points for starting. It's awkward to push two buttons though so a kill switch makes sense. There's no keyed ignition switch either which seems unusual.

In the picture of the dash the start button below the steering column engages the starter. The "kill" switch, if that's what it's meant to be, is below the ammeter.

Thanks, Greg

Posted Image

#5 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 05:01 AM

sounds to me just as rat88 said, I've wired switches like that because I've had to not necessarily for fun. Wether it was intentional or not, it's killin your spark bud. I would just pull those wires and look for breaks in the wire or rust (again like rat88 said), because rust on that magnetto or any of its connecting points willl wreck havic on your day........

#6 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 06:49 AM

I believe someone has replaced the original off-on key switch with a normally closed, momentary push button switch instead of a normally open switch which should have been used as a kill switch.

If you want to go back with a key switch, you could use the Briggs & Stratton (part #392833) replacement for the original. Here's a couple of links that I found for that switch:

http://www.ebay.com/...9-/221124536912

http://www.jackssmal...92833/308717/pd

Edited by achomesteader, November 21, 2012 - 06:50 AM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#7 goodnews OFFLINE  

goodnews
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8713
  • 126 Thanks
  • 423 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 07:15 PM

sounds like you got a double ground somewhere i have a toggle on and off but i start it with the orignal push button can you check the contnuity ?
whatever these guys will help you . in Christ Bobby