Jump to content

Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Root Ripper

  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic




  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 2011
  • 3,787 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts
  • Location: Newton.Ia

Posted November 26, 2012 - 04:18 PM

Well, not specifically GARDEN TRACTOR, but here is a root ripper I made for my excavator. I put it on the boom to replace the bucket. The "teeth" also help cut the roots. And the long bar with the chisel foot can be used to lever roots loose. I made it out of scrap 1" thick steel I had laying around...

Youy may be able to adapt something like it for a GT...

Yeah! I could see how a Hydralic Saw on an Excavator would be just the ticket!! But then some of us are a bit short on toys? :wave:

#17 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  



  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 6000
  • 451 Thanks
  • 522 posts
  • Location: North east Tenessee

Posted November 26, 2012 - 08:28 PM

Perhaps you could use something like I designed on a plow like extension. But I would think it would be better out to the side of the tractor rear so you could cut across the root as you drove by it.

With the point angled ahead of the top, it would dig in and rip under the root. With the point angled back, you could use it to saw the root as you went forward.

I would be concerned about traction though. It wouldn't take much of a tine/root to stop you dead in your tracks. Also roots don't tend to give up very easily.

Something I learned some time ago - to get stumps to get out, leave 5-6 feet or so of the trunk on the stump. It will give you more leaverage as you try to get the root ball out. Then dig around the base of the stump. You will find several side roots (depending on type of tree). Lot of times these will be just under the surface. Cut these with an axe/hatchet. Then dig out some under the stump around the tap root. Usually pretty easy to work the trunk out then. I can usually pull them out with the exc or my tractor then. This should be scalable to smaller trees that you would try to get out with a GT...

My mini-exc is small - only 2 ton, so I have to dig out stumps quite a bit. It is too small to just pop them out. It would take a 10 ton or more unit to just pull them out. Or a good size dozer - thats the easiest way to get them out...... :D

JD, I actually bought the excavator several years ago as a mechanic's special. It had issues with the safety lockout system (which disabled the hydraulic systems) It ran but wouldn't do anything. At the time, I was looking at adding a backhoe to my 2320 tractor. This was quite a bit cheaper than the Deere hoe, and it's performance is way beyond what the addon hoe can do. I learned about hydraulic systems fixing it - knowledge that was priceless working on other systems down the line... Also had to rebuild a couple cylinders - which is pretty simple once you have a few specialized tools.
  • twostep said thank you

#18 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

  • Senior Member
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,348 Thanks
  • 1,502 posts
  • Location: Trenton, Ontario, Canada

Posted April 08, 2013 - 07:19 PM

So here I sit, sipping yet another glass of Spiced Pumpkin wine, with the answer to my question.  The answer seems to be what it always is in these situations: if they don't make one commercially, and there isn't a common homebrew design, you likely don't need one.


I started this spring with the field as you last saw it in 2012.  I pulled the few remaining stumps once the ground had thawed.  I then ran over it a couple of times with the spring harrows.  That pulled most of the shallow roots.  I picked them up by dragging a set of diamond harrows.  That also leveled the land somewhat.  


1 - Start of 2013.jpg 2 - stumps pulled.jpg 3 - after spring harrow.jpg 4 - after diamond harrow.jpg


I then went back over it with the spring harrows, a little deeper this time.  More roots and rocks, but easy enough to pick up by hand.  I then let it sit for a day or so while I spread some manure on it.


5 - HB112 with spring harrow.jpg 6 - second time with spring harrow.jpg


Then it was time for the 8" single bottom plow.  That left large clumps and dug up more roots and rocks, so after picking those up, I ran the spring cultivator over it yet again.  I finished it off with the rototiller.  Looks okay, considering it was a forest in the fall. 


7a - after plowing.jpg 7b - clumps from plowing.jpg 8 - spring harrowed after plowing.jpg 9 - HB112 with rototiller.jpg 10a - after rototilling.jpg 10b - after rototilling.jpg


Ms. Allis performed remarkably well through out the ordeal.  The repairs done over the winter made a big difference both in performance & enjoyability.  However, as always, with seat time comes shop time.  The battery wasn't charging so I had to fix the regulator last night.  The fuel gauge cap is to short for this style tank, so I'll need to find a longer one.  The power lift group and bevel gearbox will need new oil seals, but they can wait for next winter.


  • hamman, JD DANNELS and KennyP have said thanks

#19 Craig. OFFLINE  


    Ronald Craig

  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 1842
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 949 posts
  • Location: Indiana

Posted April 25, 2013 - 05:12 AM

Thanks for the journey! Nice job!

  • New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you




  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 2011
  • 3,787 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts
  • Location: Newton.Ia

Posted April 25, 2013 - 08:08 AM

That is coming along nicely.

  • New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#21 Cvans ONLINE  



  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 7,456 Thanks
  • 6,466 posts
  • Location: Eastern SD.

Posted April 25, 2013 - 09:43 PM

Your soil turned out very nice.

  • New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you