• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted November 20, 2012 - 02:34 PM

I received a text message this morning saying that I had won a $1,000.00 Gift Card from Target for a contest I entered. I hadn't ever entered any contest with Target. When on the NET to check it out. It is a very large scam, don't be fooled...

http://news.yahoo.co...-093033889.html

Scambook, the leading online complaint resolution platform is now warning consumers about a new text message gift card scheme, TargetContests.com.

Los Angeles, CA (PRWEB) November 14, 2012
Scambook, the leading online complaint resolution platform is now warning consumers about a new text message gift card scheme, TargetContests.com. The text message says, “Your entry last month WON! Go to TargetContests.com enter winning code 3847 to claim your FREE $1000.00 Target gift card within 24hrs.”
Scambook received their first complaint about this gift card text message on November 8, 2012, but this text spam (aka smishing) scheme has exploded on Scambook within the past five days. It is a new twist on the same mobile fraud where spammers select thousands of cell phone numbers, usually via randomizing computer software, then blast a text message promoting the $1000 gift card prize. They use stores where most people shop, like Target and Walmart, then create websites that mimic the real company's brand.
“Walmart $1000 Gift Card, BestBuyWin.net, BestBuyContests.com and now TargetContests.com. We anticipate that the numbers will continue to grow exponentially,” said Kase Chong, Scambook's Director of Marketing. “Scambook members have reported 149 complaints about TargetContests.com. But more than 100 of those complaints arrived overnight between November 12 and 13. We rarely see a single complaint subject get so much activity in such a short time period.”
Scambook compared their TargetContests.com data to the statistics they have been collecting about Best Buy gift card smishing (BestBuyWin.net, BestBuyContests.com, etc). The earliest numbers for the Best Buy scheme were very close to what Scambook was seeing for TargetContests.com. That means over 100,000 cell phone users could be targeted by this phony text within the next three months. User reports about TargetContests.com are coming in from all over the US, but the attack seems to be concentrated on the coasts. As with the other smishing cases, Target is not affiliated with this scheme.
“If you receive a text for a free $1000 gift card prize at TargetContests.com, ignore it and contact your service provider to report the sender,” concluded Chong. “ Your cell phone company may also be able to block unknown numbers for texting you and charging your account.”
ABOUT SCAMBOOK

Scambook is an online complaint resolution platform dedicated to obtaining justice for victims of fraud with unprecedented speed and accuracy. By building communities and providing resources on the latest scams, Scambook arms consumers with the up-to-date information needed to stay on top of emerging schemes. Since its inception, Scambook has resolved over $3 million in reported consumer damages. For more information, visit scambook.com.
Judy Dixon
PMBC Group
(310) 777-7546
Email Information

http://800notes.com/...est-winner-scam

Here's more that confirms it's a fake, scam site and to avoid at all cost!!!

http://www.scamadvis...-fake-site.html

"Low Trust Rating. This Site May Not Be Safe to Use.
Site is Russian Federation based

16% Safe"

Here's a few more to avoid:

http://wafflesatnoon...d-text-message/

"Variations of the website used:

* claim.winningtexts.net
* www.target.com.bbcp.biz
* www.target.com.bswz.biz
* www.target.com.gpck.biz
* www.target.com.khhd.biz
* www.target.com.llwd.biz
* www.target.com.rdfa.biz
* www.target.com.rdfg.biz
* www.target.com.tbgt.biz
* www.target.com.tbgz.biz
* www.target.com.tzdy.biz
* www.target.com.thhd.biz

I’ve also seen target.myrewards2go.com with a similar “offer” though it’s unclear whether or not these are related. What is certain is that it is yet another “rewards” offer which requires you and your friends to sign up – so it’s not really “free” either.

A similar “service” out there is 100CardNow.com which is hooked in with OnlineRewardsClub.com. This is a similar, if not related, “rewards” program which requires your participation in 13 “sponsor offers.”

Note: Other known “promotions’ by this same company (that you should avoid) include:

Best Buy – bestbuy.thegiftcarddeal.com (read more)
Disney – disney.thegiftcarddeal.com
iPad2 – iPad2.thegiftcarddeal.com
iPhone5 – iphone5.thegiftcarddeal.com
Starbucks – starbucks.thegiftcarddeal.com
Subway – subway.thegiftcarddeal.com
Target – target.thegiftcarddeal.com
Victoria’s Secret – victoriassecret.thegiftcarddeal.com
Walmart – walmart.thegiftcarddeal.com"

Plus also targetprizes.com too ... same location, but less safe!!!

• NUTNDUN, mjodrey, MH81 and 4 others have said thanks

#2 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted November 20, 2012 - 03:18 PM

I got one of those too the other day. Mine was from best buy saying that I had registered and been selected to win a 5,000$ shopping spree. I have never registered on any website! Thanks for the post
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 20, 2012 - 03:42 PM

It is everyone on facebook that keeps posting about free certificates at target and once they click the link it gives them access to all of their friends info like phone numbers and emails. If it sounds too good to be true it probably is applies to this one.
  • Texas Deere and Horse and LilysDad have said thanks

#4 dthomp17 OFFLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2987
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted November 20, 2012 - 04:40 PM

Thanks for the warning. I get similar emails all the time indicating I have won a free gift card ranging from $100 - $1000 dollars to various stores and fast food places. I've assumed they were all scams and always delete them without opening. You have confirmed my suspicions.

#5 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted November 20, 2012 - 04:45 PM

These scams have become a viable means for a certain element in society to raise money. And since it doesn't involve knocking little old ladies in the head for their cash... If you're the "scammable type" then you are assisting the total world economy. The U.N. thanks you.

(I still cannot understand why I do not receive all these interesting "offers". My Email is soooo boring and ad-less.)

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 20, 2012 - 05:27 PM

It is everyone on facebook that keeps posting about free certificates at target and once they click the link it gives them access to all of their friends info like phone numbers and emails. If it sounds too good to be true it probably is applies to this one.

I think Facebook is quickly becoming a curse in many ways!

#7 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted November 20, 2012 - 05:59 PM

I have never received anything for free, so if I get something like that I will know it is a SCAM!

#8 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted November 20, 2012 - 06:01 PM

It's ridiculous....everything has a hidden window behind it....every scam has another scam that claims to protect you from the first one.....I'm still the guy that believes shaking my hand is worth more than any contract we can sign or promise you can make me. Don't offer me a damn thing online, on the phone, on anything. Look me in my eyes and shake my damn hand like it won't break!!
  • tractorman604, MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and 2 others have said thanks

#9 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted November 20, 2012 - 06:36 PM

If it sounds too good to be true, it is a scam. I also get phone calls saying I have won a contest.imagesCA5D77MF.jpg

#10 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted November 20, 2012 - 07:18 PM

It's ridiculous....everything has a hidden window behind it....every scam has another scam that claims to protect you from the first one.....I'm still the guy that believes shaking my hand is worth more than any contract we can sign or promise you can make me. Don't offer me a damn thing online, on the phone, on anything. Look me in my eyes and shake my damn hand like it won't break!!

Couldn't agree more!

#11 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted November 20, 2012 - 07:24 PM

See, the Mayans where right about Facebook.
  • mjodrey, Texas Deere and Horse and LilysDad have said thanks

#12 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 11:41 AM

Thanks for the warning. I get similar emails all the time indicating I have won a free gift card ranging from $100 - $1000 dollars to various stores and fast food places. I've assumed they were all scams and always delete them without opening. You have confirmed my suspicions.

This wasn't an E-mail, it was a text message. Scammers are now targeting cell phones.

#13 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted November 22, 2012 - 12:11 AM

This wasn't an E-mail, it was a text message. Scammers are now targeting cell phones.

I am so blessed! My cell phone is ALWAYS OFF unless I ever need to make a dire emergency call with it and every incoming call goes directly to "voice mail" which everyone that knows me knows I never ever retrieve. See, you CAN be a cool urbane modern country dude and still not have to fuss with such bothersome stuff like cell phone calls.:D

#14 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted November 22, 2012 - 10:55 AM

When I get a text such as already mentioned they get a very short reply from me, 3 letters w/ one space:"fk u".
Mike

#15 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted November 22, 2012 - 01:26 PM

I think Facebook is quickly becoming a curse in many ways!

Shot I've thought that for a while now.