Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Brand NEW OEM 48 inch snapper/MF mower deck for sale!

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,625 Thanks
  • 3,867 posts

Posted August 20, 2010 - 03:08 PM

I think I'm going to convert one of the rear discharge decks to a 3 point shaft drive finish mower

I have one on my 1855a Snapper. Still working on the mower to get it mechanical good. I think I will really like it and it is easy for an old man to take on and off.

#17 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• Member No: 204
  • 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted August 20, 2010 - 11:28 PM

Those gauge wheels were very installed new on big bills deck....someone has welded brackets and installed john deere gauge wheels to that deck...guaranteed!!! You can see where the original skid show was welded to the top of the deck in his picture......someone hacked the piece off and modified it with a gauge wheel....did a very nice job in installing them to I must say...looks factory! The deck on my MF 1655 has been modified with the same gauge wheels also...works very good!

#18 RALLY OFFLINE  

RALLY

• Member No: 1054
  • 2 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted August 22, 2010 - 07:58 PM

I have two other decks that match this one and there have been no welders close to any of them.

#19 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted August 22, 2010 - 10:16 PM

The deck for my Snappr 1650A looks exactly like that, even the gauge wheels.

#20 Guest_Big Bill_*

Guest_Big Bill_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 23, 2010 - 07:24 AM

I'm not sure which decks rally and tinnern are refering to (I do that alot, I know which ones I mean, but others don't, lol), but Luke, If there's one thing I've learned being around machinery. You cant guarantee ANYTHING. Your to young to remember, but they had this car company called American Motors or AMC, it came from Rambler/Studebaker/International/DeSoto, maybe. Anyway try working on those cars and you would find Chrysler transmissions, Ford rear ends, and Chevy motors, maybe, sometimes they were switched. good example on the Massey MF14/16 series sometimes you see the foot boards that only go as far as the engine, on others you see them go all the way to the front of the tractor, The early models were taller than the later models, don't ask, I have no idea. When I first saw the snapper style of decks I REALLY thought some one had tore of the adjustable wheels and welded a cheesy set of post wheels to it., and those rear wheels on the snapper deck are about as cheap and cheesy as I have seen on a deck of that size, absolutely guaranteed to fail

#21 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted August 23, 2010 - 10:36 AM

Maybe Luke can't guarantee (maybe he can)they are JD wheels, but they sure were added. The strap the deck came with was cut off just like Luke said, and the remaining bit of it is still on the top corner of the deck. A great addition I think, as the straps dig into bank edges & dig ruts. But I'd sure never give that much for any deck.

#22 Guest_Big Bill_*

Guest_Big Bill_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 23, 2010 - 06:48 PM

Maybe Luke can't guarantee (maybe he can)they are JD wheels, but they sure were added. The strap the deck came with was cut off just like Luke said, and the remaining bit of it is still on the top corner of the deck. A great addition I think, as the straps dig into bank edges & dig ruts. But I'd sure never give that much for any deck.

Yeah, more than likely, I got several of these from the same area of Illinois, some dealer was adding them to decks more than likely. I see those MF1650 Massey and Snappers selling for around 600-800 in damn good shape, I cant even imagine paying more for one deck than two tractors. I'm not even sure why I would need too, never had one go bad. Seriously, 500.00 would be a lot for that deck, but at least doable.

#23 Luke ONLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted August 23, 2010 - 11:50 PM

Thanks olcowhand! I maybe younger then a few of you guys on here but I've been around Massey Ferguson equipment all my 34 years of growing up! I know whats factory and what isn't when I see it and those wheels ar NOT factory Big Bill! Anyone can buy a set of gauge wheels and weld them to a deck! The steel hoops were the original equipment and they like olcowhand said were not a fantastic design! I'm sure somewhere down the road he'll get what he wants for that deck.....in todays world $1500.00 isn't alot of money......If you think it is just head to any JD, Agco, Case IH equipment dealer and start pricing new ag parts!

#24 farmgineer OFFLINE  

farmgineer

• Member No: 1031
  • 0 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted August 24, 2010 - 07:28 AM

Isn't price always an interesting subject? I have heard others on the forum say they have turned down $4000 or more for thier MF1855 and others saying they can pick up machines in this series for $600. The fact is, both are valid prices. I personally just spend over $400 on my Snapper 1600 deck rebuild. The deck still has it's issues (paint is done, mounting holes egg shape, front runners are almost worn and need replacement and it is only a matter of time before I have another rust hole in the deck to patch). I will likely spend another $100 on it over the next year but it will be in excellent shape then. The brand new deck would be real nice but since I only paid $800 for the machine it would be very difficult to justify paying anywhere close to $1500. But I think there is someone at least half interested in putting a new deck on a machine that is in great shape. The thing to remember is "The right price is what someone is willing to pay".

#25 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted August 24, 2010 - 09:26 AM

I totally agree with you farmgineer! Only problem with your "The right price is what someone is willing to pay " is it isn't free by some on here!! Your always gonna have someone complaining about prices......face it, people want something for nothing all the time!!! I could about imagine what kinda shape the $600-$800 dollar tractors are in but haven't had the luxury of running across one yet and probably won't.....not that lucky!!! I have priced parts for my 54 inch deck and by the time you get all the parts to completely restore it plus paint and decals your over $1000.00 dollars so to me I feel the deck is worth the money. I also get tired of working on poo......don't have the time to tinker with my mower ever time I wanna mow my yard! I personnally don't care if joe blow wants to spend the money or not......hey, its a free country and we're entitled to our own opinions and thats my wrinkle on the subject!!

#26 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted August 24, 2010 - 10:17 AM

I personnally don't care if joe blow wants to spend the money or not......hey, its a free country and we're entitled to our own opinions and thats my wrinkle on the subject!!

Very true, and I agree completely!

#27 Guest_Big Bill_*

Guest_Big Bill_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 24, 2010 - 10:18 PM

Very true, and I agree completely!

Me too, your opinion is worth just as much as mine, I personally dont make it a habit to buy ANYTHING at the dealer, unless it is available no where else, and I haven't darkened there doors in well over a year. Bearings for decks are easy and cheap, I could have them custom made cheaper than what the dealer wants. I also quit letting dumb SOBs and the repair shops EVER work on my tractors. Why would I pay a moron to do more harm than good, and get attitude from the jerk. In this hobby as most others, you have to improvise and get creative or have a wheel barrow full of money. I can tell you one thing for sure, your tractor aint worth what you have in it, not even close, especially if you bought alot of parts from the dealer, paid outside labor, or made a major engine purchase, or rebuild. The market doesn't support it. I really dont care, I'm not doing it for the money. And BTW Luke, if you don't think 1500.00 is a lot of money, your wrong, it is a lot of money. Most of the guys here are retired, semi retired, on fixed incomes, or just aren't made of money, and even if they were, I doubt many would pay anywhere near that kind of money for a mower deck. And do you want to know why, it's because we want to restore and build these tractors ourselves, not buy them all fixed up. If we wanted that we'd go out and buy new x700 JD.s and 3000 series Cubs. Your friend can ask anything he wants and I really do wish him luck, I just dont see it happening, but hey it only takes somebody with a pile of money and lacking any art of negotiating. Personally, I'd love to see these machines sell for what there worth, not for just over scrap value, it only helps everyone of us in the end.

#28 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted August 25, 2010 - 06:04 PM

Ok, I've been following this post and thought I might post some pictures of my two decks. The first 2 pictures are the 42 inch deck that was on my Snapper 1600. The second 2 pictures are the 48 inch deck that was on my Snapper 1650. The 42 is a right side discharge while the 48 is a rear discharge with a deflector. The wheel brackets are made of 2"x1/4" flat stock so they will not rip off easily. What I don't like about the deck is the timed pulleys that go bad and you can't find without paying an arm and leg for. Maybe you haven't seen factor wheels like this before but I find it hard to think someone went around welding these on a bunch of decks just for the heck of it.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by olcowhand, August 25, 2010 - 06:30 PM.
fixed pics

#29 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted August 25, 2010 - 06:31 PM

The links aren't working.

Are now!:D

#30 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted August 25, 2010 - 06:36 PM

Thanks for making them working, don't know what I did, senior moment I guess.