#1 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted November 19, 2012 - 09:41 AM

Over the last year or so I acquired LOTS of red oak that had been cut to length already. Saturday, I finally rented a splitter at my favorite local mom-and-pop True Value Hardware store and created a mountain of split wood. Eventually I'll get a splitter of my own, but this gave me a good chance to test out a 22-ton splitter to see if it would take care of the stuff I usually run across. It worked quite well, so when the time comes, I'll be able to purchase one of the cheaper splitters. I'd really like to find one that's either lightly-used, or one that has a blown engine that I could modify to be powered off of my Cub 123 or my Speedex 1631. I'll add some pictures here later.

Edited by nra1ifer, November 19, 2012 - 09:42 AM.

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,536 posts

Posted November 19, 2012 - 10:30 AM

Congrats on the accomplishment. I have a splitter that can be horizontal or verical. Its great. Let the people that you rent from know that you're interested incase they decide to sell theirs.

#3 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted November 19, 2012 - 10:37 AM

I'd really like to find one that's either lightly-used, or one that has a blown engine that I could modify to be powered off of my Cub 123 or my Speedex 1631. I'll add some pictures here later.

Most tractors don't have the flow needed to run a splitter as fast as a stand alone engine.. Even some big tractors have a problem with it..

#4 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 19, 2012 - 11:00 AM

I have seen guys run the spliter pump from a gt pto. This also serves as an auxiliary hydraulic supply for other attatchment. Personally, I am not sure I would do it that way. Not because I don't think it would work, mainly because the 5 HP would be easier on gas and wouldn't want to put the extra hours on an engine that would cost more to rebuild than what you could by a clone for
  • nra1ifer, jpackard56 and LilysDad have said thanks

#5 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted November 19, 2012 - 11:10 AM

I have seen guys run the spliter pump from a gt pto. This also serves as an auxiliary hydraulic supply for other attatchment. Personally, I am not sure I would do it that way. Not because I don't think it would work, mainly because the 5 HP would be easier on gas and wouldn't want to put the extra hours on an engine that would cost more to rebuild than what you could by a clone for

This has always been my thinking on shredders too, why would I run my tractor hours on end when the little engine will do.

#6 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,247 posts

Posted November 19, 2012 - 11:43 AM

I'd love to have one, but for now, it's the good ole sledge and wedge.

#7 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted November 19, 2012 - 04:12 PM

Good point! Thanks.