#1 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,397 Thanks
  • 1,228 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 09:43 PM

Well I have my '74 JD 112 almost done. I seem to be having governor problems. It seems when I drop the throttle down the spring binds up and it actually revs the engine. I can seem to get things set right for it to work correctly. If I had hair I would've pulled it out by now. Anyone have any pics of the governor setup? I have the kohler manual but setup like that seems to keep the spring too loose. I wonder if I have the wrong sized spring? Thanks.

Eric
Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 09:49 PM

Do you have a picture of what you have now? I am just wondering because I just ripped my Jacobsen chief K301 down to a bare block today to rebuild it. So I am wondering if it is the same set-up?
  • dropped82 said thank you

#3 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,397 Thanks
  • 1,228 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 09:59 PM

Well it seems my problem is not raising the RPM's but lowering them back down. I'm wondering now if I'm missing a return spring or something. When I look at my 212's linkage I don't see one.uploadfromtaptalk1353293872568.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1353293928141.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1353293967226.jpg

Eric

#4 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 10:28 PM

Ok that is the same governor as mine.Were is your throttle cable hooked up? That spring in the second picture sets the sensitivity of the governor, mine is in the 3rd hole from the top. My throttle cable hooks into the small hole (above the large hole), in the second picture lower right the piece with the adjusting screw with spring on it.

#5 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 10:34 PM

One more thing did you loosen the locking bolt and adjust the governor arm?

#6 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 10:46 PM

If its like my K301 on my Wheel Horse, there is not a spring to close the throttle, just one for opening it. Its the job of the governor to bring the RPM's down. You should be able to find a manual on the net. I rebuilt my K301 about a year ago, and if I recall correctly, you hold the throttle open while using a pair of pliers to turn the governor shaft counter clockwise as far as it will go, then tighten the nut holding the arm to the gov shaft. Don't quote me on that. I would find a manual, and make sure. The governor gear on kohlers almost never fail, so its probabally just out of adjustment.

Matt

#7 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,397 Thanks
  • 1,228 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 10:55 PM

I appreciate the help. I'm in for the night but will adjust the shaft tomorrow. I didn't mess with the shaft. Only thing I can guess is that the PO messed with it. I have been just adjusting the spring and the screw on the cable side. I remember reading in the kohler manual about adjusting the shaft and I think you are right on the money. Thanks.

Eric

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 19, 2012 - 07:55 AM

The Kohler K series manual has instructions for adjusting the governor. Check the linkage to make sure it's not binding anywhere and that there isn't excessive slack in it. The holes in the linkage and the ends of the rods wear sometimes to the point where the hole wears right through. On the K321 in my 314 the hole was to the point where there was only a few thou of metal left before it broke out and at that point the governor would have disconnected! I replaced the worn parts. An engine that has been surging for whatever reason will wear out the linkage. A lot of engines go for years in this state without being repaired.
  • Alc and dropped82 have said thanks

#9 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,397 Thanks
  • 1,228 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 05:40 PM

Well I adjusted the governor according to the Kohler manual and set the springs also according to the Kohler manual. Hooked up the tach and my top RPM's is 3050. My 212 with the same engine is at 3400. I would like to get that with this one also. I turned the adjustment screw on the throttle side and that is the max RPM's in can get. So does that mean I need to tweak this rod a bit to get the RPM's I want? When I adjusted a briggs engine I got, the rod was the only adjustment that could be done. I'm guessing on this Kohler its the same way. Its seems that any and all RPM changes is done with turning that rod. The screw looks more to adjust the throttle cable and the spring is for sensitivity. With the rod adjusted as is I have to crank the throttle side all the way back to achieve 3050 RPM. Doing that makes my throttle lever only move at about half the distance. It will not go any farther down than about halfway and my low idle RPM's are around 2300. When i first started messing with it I saw the screw as the RPM adjustment but that is very limited with loss in cable travel. Any suggestion? Thanks.

Eric

Edited by dropped82, November 21, 2012 - 05:46 PM.

#10 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,305 Thanks
  • 4,658 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 06:45 PM

Sounds like you have things set correctly as it governs the RPM's.. A small adjustment of the rod length will bump the RPM's up a bit.. Be careful how high you go.. You will need to readjust the idle speed too though.. Good Luck!

#11 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,397 Thanks
  • 1,228 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 07:54 PM

The rod I'm speaking of is the one from the engine. I know on briggs max rpm is set by loosening the clamp and turning the rod ever so slightly. From experience .001" means a ton of rpm! It just seems like that's all I have left to adjust since everything else is set to maximum rpm's. I think I will back off the throttle cable side and turn the rod from the engine a little. Anyone have other or better thoughts? Thanks.

Eric

#12 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,305 Thanks
  • 4,658 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 10:44 PM

the rod from the governor arm to the throttle plate on the carb. is what I was talking about. Loosen the jam nuts and turn the rod to lengthen it a tad and re-tighten the nuts. This will increase your governed WOT RPM's..

You may need to readjust your idle screw/setting after doing this..

#13 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,397 Thanks
  • 1,228 posts

Posted November 22, 2012 - 11:06 AM

Will do thank you for your help!

#14 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,397 Thanks
  • 1,228 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 03:13 PM

I've adjujsted the throttle linkage. I get no raise. Almost like the governor is doing its job. I used the tractor today and its all working. I'm going to adjust the governor arm position on the rod coming out of the engine. That's the only place I have to get rpm.

#15 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 25, 2012 - 03:44 PM

Well it seems my problem is not raising the RPM's but lowering them back down. I'm wondering now if I'm missing a return spring or something. When I look at my 212's linkage I don't see one.uploadfromtaptalk1353293872568.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1353293928141.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1353293967226.jpg

Eric

To change the max rpm you will have to adjust the spring shown in the 2nd picture. That should not affect your idle