Garden Tractor Forums banner

1974 Egt120

6K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  DH1 
#1 ·
Serial # 2766, picked this up yesterday, came with tire chains, snow blower, dozer blade and mid mount mower deck.
Wheel Tire Toy Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Plant Toy Automotive tire
Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Road surface

This is one rusty tractor. The only thing holding the rear battery box on is where it attaches to the foot borads.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Tread Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Wood Tread
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Road surface Blue
Wood Motor vehicle Bumper Gas Fixture
Brown Amber Orange Wood Rectangle

These EGT120 tractors came with 3 speed trans-axles and a single drive belt, but this one has a 4 speed trans-axle and a double drive belt. ???
Serial # tag says it's an EGT120.
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Wood Bumper Automotive exterior
Wood Road surface Flooring Brick Brickwork
Wheel Motor vehicle Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

The snow blower is a parts unit. Rusted out auger and it's seized.
Motor vehicle Wood Gas Machine Auto part
Automotive tire Road surface Wood Bumper Asphalt
Wood Gas Metal Machine Wood stain

The Dozer blade has very little wear on it, the angle adjuster latch is seized, looks like it can be freed up.
This is the best part of the whole deal.
Bumper Wood Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Gas

The mower deck also is in pretty good shape 2 motors turn the 3rd is seized. Housing is covered in rust but solid. this is a side discharge deck.
Wheel Wood Tire Gas Machine
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Wood Road surface
Motor vehicle Toy Vehicle Wood Asphalt

Even in-spite of all the rust there are spots that clean up really good.
Road surface Wood Automotive tire Asphalt Font
Wood Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Red Bumper
Brown Font Groundcover Plant Paper

The 2 things that caught my eye when I first saw pictures of this deal were the front impelment mounting bracket and the side discharge mower deck.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tread

It also had the wide 2 person seat on it that is rotted away.
Wood Yellow Natural material Bumper Gas
Wood Natural material Trunk Lumber Event

Not sure what I'm going to do with the tractor but the mower deck gets fixed for sure, it fits my EGT200.
The snow blower is for parts, what ever I can take off it that's good.
The dozer blade I'll either sell or put sides on it and use it as a snow pusher.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Doug , I too have an EGT120 with 4 speed transaxle and double pulley . Any number of explanations could apply .If this happened at the factory the most logical would be - " get it out the door " .The plus side is an upgrade with a field winding motor is easy.

#5 ·
The parts books for New Idea are not entirely accurate .I have high output armatures for mower motors that the book shows as standard . Geo may have corrected lists or parts advisories that may surface . But I agree , the EGT120 wer supposed to be 3 speed single groove pulley .

#8 ·
All I know is that the
38" snow blower has a 90amp breaker, that would make the motor max at 4.3hp
42" snow blower has a 105amp breaker, that would make the motor max at 5hp

If the batteries can hold there voltage and the wiring can deliver the amps.

I don't know what size of breaker is used in the tiller.
E20s, I5s, EGT200s drive motors have a 105amp breaker on them also.

#9 ·
Could they have gone to a double belt because of slippage?

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
That could be. The torque that can be generated by the electric motor for brief periods under load, and before the breaker would trip, would be much higher than indicated by the continuous HP rating. I'd really like to see one of those electric tractors up close. I'd also like to own one but have never seen one down here. There seem to be quite a few in your area Doug.

Reactions: DH1
#17 ·
Doug, congratulations. Too bad about all the rust. I hope you got a good deal on a nice parts tractor. The side discharge and mounting bracket are good scores. They look very intact. I didn't take any notice of the seat at first. That's really cool, I've never seen one. Thanks for posting those great photographs.

#18 ·
Today was warm spring like day in the winter and I spent some time stripping the snow blower that came with this deal.

the auger is rusted right out, not fixable.

Wheel Tire Plant Toy Automotive tire
Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Road surface
Automotive tire Road surface Wood Bumper Asphalt

The main part that I wanted from this was the motor and found that it has a 105amp circuit breaker on it.

I think it might be the same motor as the larger snow blower has. ???

The motor turns freely so hopefully it's good.

Motor vehicle Wood Gas Machine Auto part

Also I found that the main housing is in really good shape and that the blower shows very little wear from use, just lots of rust. I saved everything that looked good and scraped the rest, 1 less piece of junk on the driveway now.

What I want the motor for is to make an electric Flail mower. EF1

I picked up a Mott 8hp tow behind flail mower in working condition last summer, the plan is to remove the 8hp B&S gas motor and replace it with the snow blower motor so I can use it with my electric tractors.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Future project EF1

Attachments

#21 ·
Wow. Bet that sat buried in the dirt for a long time! Cool little flail mower. This should be good!

#22 ·
Doug, I like EF1. I think it will be a winner and a battery drainer. I got about four decent sized driveways done with the blower before it was really drained. I wonder how long you could mow?

Good luck.

#25 ·
Well now it parts, seized motor, trany, brake, steering spindles, rusted through front rims.

This tractor is complete, couldn't find any signs of cut into, butchered wiring anywhere, this was a working tractor that for some reason got parked and spent lots of time outside rusting up.

As it sits now.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

The drive motor.

Saw Automotive tire Circular saw Motor vehicle Wood

A comparison of 2 drive motors, EGT120 + EGT200, smallest and biggest main drive motors used in the large frame tractors.

Automotive tire Wood Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system

Was able to get some needed parts, my buddy up north with the nice New Idea tractors asked when I got this for the rear fenders, so now these are his when he wants.

Water Wood Gas Brick Bumper

This bracket and these headlight lenses I was in need of.

Saw Tire Crosscut saw Snow Automotive tire
Wood Brick Rectangle Line Road surface

The battery charger, front electric lift, wiring, tire chains, steering wheel, I saved anything that could be used to make others better.

This brings the story to a close, time to move onto another tractor.

Attachments

#27 · (Edited by Moderator)
Haha! As tribute to this rusty old elec-trak; It's 4spd transaxle has been transplanted into my EGT 120 as an upgrade over my 3spd.

Thanks Doug! I've been learning much going through your threads!
Good Stuff. I hope the 4sp works for ya, it was just siting around taking up space at my place.

Best way I found so far to get parts is to buy a parts tractor and what ever comes with it.

The computer is the BEST source of info you can get, it lets you find sites like GT Talk and others that are full of info and guys willing to help.

That's how I found out all I know

Man that rear electric lift you have is RARE, :thumbs:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.