• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 06:49 PM

Thursday, Harry put in a dry-well for neighbor Herby; the two of them have been friends for many years. This summer, Harry bought a mini-excavator. When he got it I told him if it goes missing, look at my house first! He laughed and said he would drop it off when he had some down time. Well, he was using it over at Herby's and he told me after he was finished with the job I could take it! And take it I did!

I did not get to use it until Friday, and that was only for about an hour. Friday he filled it up with fuel for me. Before he left, he told me that using it in the woods... I will probably knock off the tracks a few times. Well, I drove into the woods and after 50 feet what do you think happened? I ran over a rock the wrong way and off it went! I called and told him, he was back at my house in 10 minutes. It was back on in a half hour. Then, I was off!
Posted Image

After the track was back on, I did not have much light left. Some of my paths go through rock walls that are knocked over. All I had time to do was clear two of them a little better so I could get through with the machine without loosing a track again.

Yesterday, got the '75 with my trailer and filled it up with dirt. Then, I dug out ALL of the rocks in one of the paths that I had tried to fix the night before. I just finished getting it all dug out when one of the pins that hold a tooth on broke! I saw the tooth laying on the ground, luckily it did not get buried! I told Harry and he said he would get a replacement pin.
Posted Image

Today, he called me and asked which tooth it was. I told him an inside one; he then said to just use it, and that I would not wear out the shank before he gets a pin.

So, I went out and started digging! I was going to use my trailer to bring in dirt for the path that I dug out. Then it o cured to me... why not just dig a hole off the the side? So I did! After I was done, I pushed all of the rock I took out into the hole. The reason I had to dig it out and put dirt in was that the rocks gave me no traction to get over the little slope. I had trouble getting over it with just a tractor... add a trailer full of dirt or firewood and it was a lost cause! Now it is smooth, and not as steep! Getting over it now is a breeze!
Posted Image

After I finished that I went over to Herby's to clean up the mess Harry left. LOL! I had to do some other work for him too though. When I was done... back into the woods I went! I decided to do the same thing that I did with the other wall, to the wall that is on the wood line. It was not bad, just very bumpy and a uneven. After I was done, I started to regret it... because now it is a low spot and I think it is going to become muddy there. :hitting_self_roller: Here is one of the rocks I took out there.
Posted Image

Tomorrow I am going back over to Herby's with it to do some more work for him.

Harry is going to pick up the machine on Tuesday, I don't know what time.
  • daytime dave, Cat385B and twostep have said thanks

#2 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 06:55 PM

Ryan that is one thing I want to do at some point. Rent one of those excavators to use for a couple of days. Looks more like fun than work! Lucky you to have a friend that not only has one, but is willing to let you use it!
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#3 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 06:57 PM

Sounds like you had a great time Ryan and learned a thing or two. (Track replacement!) Good bud to let you borrow that unit. :thumbs:
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,736 Thanks
  • 8,912 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 08:04 PM

Having a hydraulic thumb is really useful, isn't it Ryan? All looks like good fun to me.

Couple of things, though. The pic holding the rock is cool, but it easily could of snapped off the one tooth keeping it pinned there. Keep loads as low as possible. Also, lower that grading blade if you're going to lift something that heavy. It increases the stability of the machine. A lot. You can lift the most weight out front of the grading blade, it's capabilities are reduced quickly when swung over to the side. It's also helpful to keep the machine sitting level if at all possible.

Think I'm being critical? :D I didn't say anything about having a hood on, instead of a stocking cap. Hoods block your peripheral vision.

I've always had good luck with Takeuchi excavators. Strong runners, and dependable. Looks like Harry got one in nice condition.

Thanks for the pics! :thumbs:
  • MH81, IamSherwood, Ryan313 and 1 other said thanks

#5 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 08:18 PM

Looks like you had a great time Ryan, thanks for sharing it with us.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#6 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 08:42 PM

Ryan that is one thing I want to do at some point. Rent one of those excavators to use for a couple of days. Looks more like fun than work! Lucky you to have a friend that not only has one, but is willing to let you use it!

Definitely, more fun then work! Yes, he has all kinds of cool toys! He just started his excavating business back up again. When I talked to him about the tooth he said he was going to look at another machine tomorrow. I would tell you guys what that machine is, but... he wont tell me!

Having a hydraulic thumb is really useful, isn't it Ryan? All looks like good fun to me.

Couple of things, though. The pic holding the rock is cool, but it easily could of snapped off the one tooth keeping it pinned there. Keep loads as low as possible. Also, lower that grading blade if you're going to lift something that heavy. It increases the stability of the machine. A lot. You can lift the most weight out front of the grading blade, it's capabilities are reduced quickly when swung over to the side. It's also helpful to keep the machine sitting level if at all possible.

Think I'm being critical? :D I didn't say anything about having a hood on, instead of a stocking cap. Hoods block your peripheral vision.

I've always had good luck with Takeuchi excavators. Strong runners, and dependable. Looks like Harry got one in nice condition.

Thanks for the pics! :thumbs:

You know, I was looking forward to what you where going to say! The reason is, because I knew you would be picky! Lol!

I am aware of these things, I noticed everything you said about stability very quickly. I know, I know... I put the machine in a very unstable position. I only put it like that for the picture, I do not operate it like that. Other then for the sake of a picture, I do not have much of a case for this.

Although! I do have a case about the hood! When operating I always had it off. I had it on in that picture, just for the picture. I knocked off the track (hood off), and then limped out of the mud (hood still off). I got out and THEN put it on, I got back in without taking it off, because my brother just wanted to take the picture. After the picture, I put the machine on the ground again and shut it down.

And yes... the thumb is very useful. :thumbs:

#7 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 08:43 PM

LOL! You are having WAY too much fun! That's a good bud you have there. Treat his equipment right while you have it, he'd probably be pleasantly surprised if you had the fuel tank filled before he picked it up.

#8 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 08:50 PM

LOL! You are having WAY too much fun! That's a good bud you have there. Treat his equipment right while you have it, he'd probably be pleasantly surprised if you had the fuel tank filled before he picked it up.

Believe me, I would! But, it uses "off road" diesel. It either has sulfur in it, or does not have sulfur in it; I can't remember which one is which. I will try to give him something to cover it, but there is no way he would take it.

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 08:56 PM

Off road diesel HAS sulfur. I'd love to work with (play) one of those mini's! I know they can do a LOT of real work, despite their small size. However, I don't care much for tracks coming off, but at least with those it doesn't take so much to get them back on as it does on a dozer with metal tracks.

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted November 19, 2012 - 05:44 AM

Harry is really being smart. He let you 'play' with it so you could learn how to run it without worrying about hurting anything nearby. 'Out in the woods' is a great place to learn the machine.

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,293 Thanks
  • 28,625 posts

Posted November 19, 2012 - 08:11 AM

Looks like a good couple of days work. Glad you had a good time learning the machine.

#12 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted November 20, 2012 - 11:54 AM

Here are some videos for your enjoyment. When the videos where taken I had 4 hours on it, now I have 10.

• daytime dave, HowardsMF155 and marlboro180 have said thanks

#13 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted November 20, 2012 - 05:01 PM

Thanks for the video Ryan, those mini- exes are capable machines for sure, especially with a thumb. I sure like how easy they are on fuel.

Cat385 made some very good points about running a machine like that , he is after all well qualified to speak on the subject :-)

I also agree that running a machine such as that is sometimes more fun than work . Keep on " working " :rocker2: :thumbs:

#14 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 20, 2012 - 10:18 PM

Harry is also smart in training a young operator! Capable operators are getting hard to find.
Ryan learn all you can, regardless of what career you chose in life knowing how to run equipment is alway a skill that will feed you.
  • marlboro180 said thank you

#15 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted November 20, 2012 - 10:52 PM

u da man!
That is fun. Been there and I miss them little things.