It's A Good Thing I'm Not In A Hurry!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ggsteve OFFLINE  

• Member No: 4164
  • 142 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 11:36 AM

I set out this morning to change the oil in my 214. Normally a reliable machine, she wouldn't start and I ran down the already weak battery. Into the garage for the jump pack. Back out to the tractor, I lift the hood and find this (now there's your problem!).

Posted Image

I had found a loose screw arcing against the coil the last time I used her (in the dark), but she ran. Gee, do you think this is why she was having trouble staying running at idle recently?

A quick repair with my last short bolt and she's running like a top again.

Posted Image

Now we're driving to the garage and the variator lever isn't speeding her up. I think she started this last winter and it went away when it got warm. Here we go, puttering to the garage...........

Now it's into the garage where I open that @#$*&^ oil drain spicket. Glaciers can be seen advancing and receding in the time it takes to drain the oil with this thing. Let's just say I have plenty of time to write this post.

Posted Image

I just checked the gear oil, which was changed at the last engine oil change, and it's foamy. How does water get into a gearbox that's always covered? As Rosanne Rosannadanna used to say on Saturday Night Live, it's always something!

#2 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,448 Thanks
  • 7,613 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 05:57 PM

LOL. Around here my motto is slow down and go faster. Took my wife a while to figure it out.

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 06:09 PM

I get irritated at days like that. Glad you have patience, and hope it turns around for you.

• Member No: 10038
  • 4,663 Thanks
  • 4,212 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 07:27 PM

If the tractor is exposed to extreme temperatures, (hot/cold/hot/cold) condensation will form in the gear case, thus water in the oil and then become foamy. Running the tractor for a while and all fluids at operating temperatures then parking it in cool atmosphere, condensation will form again.