coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 08:54 AM

I am a noob when it comes to operating systems and installations and such. My first expeirence with this was a few months ago with a $50 laptop. It was a "surplused" piece and had teh drive totally wiped. Instead of spending the $$$$ for a windows OS I opted for trying ubuntu. It took a while to figure out how to make a bootable stick (about half a day) but once I got that figured out it took about 10 minutes to get the "new" comp up and running.

Now my old laptop (windows xp) ,was suffering from years of programs being installed and unistalled, it was slow, vids were taking forever to watch. Just in general she needed cleaning up, so I decided to do a clean install of XP. WOW, 2 days later and I am still running into problems. No wireless drivers, cant update until you have certain service packs, reinstalled entire OS 3 times so far. I am starting to wonder why I need windows at this point. I cant really think of a good reason that I must have windows. I think I am going to attempt XP one more time and then I am going to put a Linux OS on it.

I mean really, does anybody know why "I must have a windows os"? I am not into heavy computing, just web surfing and such is all I do.

Rant over

#2 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 09:03 AM

That's why I went to Mac, got tired of fixing Windows.

#3 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 09:49 AM

I think you will like Linux. I would suggest you try Zorin it looks a lot like Windows. It was designed to make it easy 4 people that are use 2 windows.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
  • MH81 said thank you

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 07:24 PM

I went Mac as well a couple of years ago. I think that trying a Linux based OS would be a easy trip for you now that your computer is rejecting XP. Load it up and give it a shot. The price is right, especially compared to a new PC or a Mac.

#5 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 08:07 PM

WellXpis back on the machine. It got to being a battle of wills, there is no clear winner yet. I still have no sound and the drivers I downloaded gave me conflicts. I think whats going to happen is i am going to show it who the boss is then dump it for Ubuntu.

#6 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 09:13 PM

A while back I was going through the same issues with a re-install of XP and I found out SP3 messes some video and sound drivers up. You have to install the drivers before you install SP-3.

My advice is save your sanity and go with Linux. I can install a Linux distro in less then 30 minutes and that includes the updates with 1 reboot. Windows takes 1-2 days with the updates and about 6 or more reboot's. The only reason I can think of to stay with Windows is if you are into gaming heavy if not switch to Linux and never look back.

You can go to Distrowatch.com to see a ranking of all the different distros available.

#7 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted November 20, 2012 - 10:40 PM

I was finally able to make a Live USB of Zorin! Booted it on my machine ot give it a test run. Very nice very exwindows user freindly. The interface is very familiar. I then booted it upon the wifes machine to let her give it a run to see if she likes it. I am going to leave it on hers for a few days to see if she is ok with it. She has been a life long windows user so I want her to have something she is comfortable with,she dosent want to have to learn another system she just wants to get on and use it.

PS. Can I put more than one distro on a live usb, or do I have to make one for each distro? Currently using unetbootin.

#8 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted November 22, 2012 - 12:47 PM

That is a good question. I'm not 100% sure but I think you can only load one distro on a flash drive but if you partitioned it then you could do two. Glad you got it up and running, Zorn has a couple of handy applet's that will let you change the desktop to look and feel like other OS's so check out the "Look changer". Also there is an applet that will let you install other browsers, "Browser manager" but of course you can also install it them through the software manger.

#9 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted November 22, 2012 - 05:44 PM

I have been using Zorin live for a few days, I like it. Very user friendly. I am really digging Linux,most every problem that I ahve encountered have been fixed by a quick google search and copy pasting the code into a terminal or a quick trip to ubuntu software center. For me I think I will not own windows again.

PS. I converted another coworker to linux after he got fed up with installing xp.

Edited by coldone, November 22, 2012 - 05:45 PM.

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,502 Thanks
  • 39,730 posts

Posted November 22, 2012 - 06:11 PM

You guys keep talking 'Zorin' and 'Linux'. Are they related?

#11 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted November 22, 2012 - 07:07 PM

You guys keep talking 'Zorin' and 'Linux'. Are they related?

Yes they are, Zorn is a Linux distribution Let's see if I can simplify this a bit. Linux is not a complete operating system by it's self. There are all kinds of services that have to be added, refined and polished to make what you see on your screen. So what happens is the Linux kernel or core is maintained and developed by that projects developers. It is then taken by other projects and combined into a usable operating system but in most cases do not have the refinement that today's users want so another project will take that source code and add more services, and really do some refinement to make it what you see on your screen.

Think of it this way, a car is manufactured separately, the engine, chassis, the body, interior etc. then it all goes to a plant and is put together and put into show room quality. Basically the same thing happens with a Linux Distribution, the core (Linux) is taken by the Debian project and made into an OS, then Ubuntu will take it and add some more functionality to it and in this case then Zorn will take Ubuntu code and they make it look more like other OS in order to satisfy newbies so everything doesn't look foreign to them. If you were to dl Debian or Ubuntu you would they would work just fine but you may have a steeper learning curve because things would not be as familiar to you.

Once you get familiar with Linux and how it works then there is a whole new world out there that will allow you to modify how your computer looks, feels, and operates. In the Linux world it is all about choice and options.

I hope I didn't confuse you worse. :loosing_it:
  • MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,502 Thanks
  • 39,730 posts

Posted November 22, 2012 - 07:11 PM

That explains a bunch to me. Makes them a bit easier to understand. I thought they were all separate.

#13 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted November 22, 2012 - 07:49 PM

I am a noob to this stuff so I am learning to.
Linux= a basic OS for programmers, needs refining for regular (you and me) to use and make it operate like what we are used to, point and click

Distro= A refined linux based user interface system. For regular users.

Ubuntu, Zorin, Fedora, Mint etc... are all Distros.

IMO, for what i do with a comp, I see no need (anymore) to spend $$$ on windows. The "linux" family meets most all of my needs. It is much easier to install (30 minutes vs a few days) and works fine the first time.

Cons, so far my biggest complaint is that I cant watch netflix because it uses a MS program to run. Its my understanding that some of the "linux family" programmers are working on a work around.

The linux based systems are not as refined as the MS products. The MS products look a little more polished but that has nothing to do with how it works. Linux works fine for me.

If you would like to try a linux family product, you can make a "live USB". The simplest way I have found is to go to "Unetbootin.com", press the down load button, pick your distro (version) from the drop down list (I suggest the newest ubuntu they have listed) and stick a clean USB stick in the usb port, and hit the button on the screen.

Once it has completed, you reboot your comp. When it starts up watch the screen and and it will tell you whitch button to push to enter the boot menu. Once in the boot menu read the directions on how to change the boot device (boot from usb). The comp will then start up and use the linux version as the OS. This does not change anything on your original operating system. When turn the comp off and remove the usb drive,the machine will start back up in windows. This will let you test run the linux OS without messing up your machine.

Disclaimer!!!!!! I aint no rocket surgun or a computer guy. Try this on an old computer first to make sure it aint gonna hurt you or your machine.

Edited by coldone, November 22, 2012 - 07:50 PM.

• KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,502 Thanks
  • 39,730 posts

Posted November 23, 2012 - 07:17 AM

How big of a 'USB stick' do you need for this? I have a 16 GB in the mail that I planned to use for pics and .pdfs storage. I can get a smaller one.

#15 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted November 23, 2012 - 07:39 AM

Linux is based on UNIX. UNIX is the granddaddy of OS's.

Saying Linux is saying Garden Tractor. There are as many versions as you think of. One group builds the motors, another group builds the tranny, somebody else builds another part, and somebody take all of these parts and builds a complete tractor out of them.

Linux is easy to modify, and you can build it anyway you want. With Windows you have little choice, everything is built in. That makes it VERY hard to repair. It would having to replace the motor just because the carb is bad.

After you look under the hood of Linux and under the hood of Windows you can see just how much different the 2 really are.

I used to write addons for a Linux firewall project, so I got a good look at Linux.
  • ducky, KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks